Speculation: 2024 trade deadline discussion

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We are definitely getting a big ticket player lol

McCrimmon won't watch months of this mediocre or poor play and sit still while being defending champions.

I expect one of Hanafin/Guentzel/Buchnevich and one of Nelson/Henrique/Tarasenko/Smith/Barabonov to be brought in the next few weeks.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
To me there are 2 ways to go this deadline. Either a 1st+Brisson/Edstrom/Cormier for Buchnevich or that package for Hanifin and then a 2nd for Tarasenko to address the wing. Hanifin would be re-signed in that scenario to replace Martinez. I don't think Guentzel makes a lot of sense. I like the idea of Tarasenko because he's more a 2 way wing than some of the cheaper wings on the market like Zucker/Duclair/Olofsson. He's also already got the built in chemistry with Barbie. We also know Vegas has tried to trade for him in the past.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
To me there are 2 ways to go this deadline. Either a 1st+Brisson/Edstrom/Cormier for Buchnevich or that package for Hanifin and then a 2nd for Tarasenko to address the wing. Hanifin would be re-signed in that scenario to replace Martinez. I don't think Guentzel makes a lot of sense. I like the idea of Tarasenko because he's more a 2 way wing than some of the cheaper wings on the market like Zucker/Duclair/Olofsson. He's also already got the built in chemistry with Barbie. We also know Vegas has tried to trade for him in the past.

I didn't think of Buchnevich before the last few days but he does seem like a great fit.

I would be fine with trading anything except I think we should hold on to Edstrom and Korczak, but Brisson, Cormier, 1st, 2nd, Miromanov, even some younger roster players depending on the quality of player coming back is a decent set of trade capital, especially if we don't require much in retention if Stone is out.

Last edited:

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Hanifin is a perfect chance to get younger. Him and Eichel are best friends, too.

99azOQe.jpeg

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I didn't think of Buchnevich before the last few days but he does seem like a great fit.

I would be fine with trading anything except I think we should hold on to Edstrom and Korczak, but Brisson, Cormier, 1st, 2nd, Miromanov, even some younger roster players depending on the quality of player coming back is a decent set of trade capital, especially if we don't require much in retention if Stone is out.

For me I wouldn't have any of the kids off limits except Korczak. Obviously would need to be the right non rental deal.

Although we are going to have to either move Theo to the left or think about trading Whitecloud to make room for KK on the right side.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
For me I wouldn't have any of the kids off limits except Korczak. Obviously would need to be the right non rental deal.

Although we are going to have to either move Theo to the left or think about trading Whitecloud to make room for KK on the right side.

I heard there were trade rumors about Whitecloud a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if we could get a 1st from Toronto for him then flip the 1st for a winger?

Friedman said Tanev was looked at by Toronto but they don't want to move a 1st for a rental. Whitecloud is signed for four more years after this at a very reasonable 2.75 million that would help Toronto in future cap situations.

Cassidy has already shown similar confidence in Korczak to Whitecloud this season at times.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I heard there were trade rumors about Whitecloud a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if we could get a 1st from Toronto for him then flip the 1st for a winger?

Friedman said Tanev was looked at by Toronto but they don't want to move a 1st for a rental. Whitecloud is signed for four more years after this at a very reasonable 2.75 million that would help Toronto in future cap situations.

Cassidy has already shown similar confidence in Korczak to Whitecloud this season at times.
I've heard Hanifin's preferred destination is Tampa, but VGK could be a possibility as the only condition Hanifin has evidently put is he wants out of Canada. If we can sign him long-term, I'm OK with giving up prospects/draft choices, etc. for him.

The other possibilities mentioned here don't appeal to me if we have to overpay. Getting Smith back from Penguins for the 3rd they sent us would be fine, otherwise I'm perfectly OK rolling with what we have. It'll be a different team when Eichel, Carrier, Dorofeyev, maybe Stone come back - much less pressure on the defense and goals and we'll actually be able to score.

People may disagree with me, but I really don't wish to part with Whitecloud, he's a bargain and I think the reason for a worse +/- is called Hague. I also want to be a contender year after year, not overpay for one last kick at the can. We have lots of talent on the team.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've heard Hanifin's preferred destination is Tampa, but VGK could be a possibility as the only condition Hanifin has evidently put is he wants out of Canada. If we can sign him long-term, I'm OK with giving up prospects/draft choices, etc. for him.

The other possibilities mentioned here don't appeal to me if we have to overpay. Getting Smith back from Penguins for the 3rd they sent us would be fine, otherwise I'm perfectly OK rolling with what we have. It'll be a different team when Eichel, Carrier, Dorofeyev, maybe Stone come back - much less pressure on the defense and goals and we'll actually be able to score.

People may disagree with me, but I really don't wish to part with Whitecloud, he's a bargain and I think the reason for a worse +/- is called Hague. I also want to be a contender year after year, not overpay for one last kick at the can. We have lots of talent on the team.

Whitecloud is a solid player but I think Korczak will be as good or better very soon and just as cheap through his RFA contract.

Then there's Pietrangelo ahead and Theodore, who might be our best defenseman going forward, who prefers the right side, and we'd probably like to accommodate that.

Then there's Miromanov behind him at RD and Hutton and Bjornfot are cheap and capable of playing either side on a bottom pairing.

I didn't think about it before but top four defensive LHD will be something we need to address next season or the season after.

It'd be great to keep Whitecloud but if he can get us a prime asset we could then flip for a long term solution in Hanafin, or a great forward who would fit the team and help a glaring weakness, and with an extra year, like Buchnevich, then I don't think that would be a poor use of a trade.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you guys do end up pursuing Guentzel, any chance a package around Hague could be doable?

We could include POJ as a replacement. We may be listening on Pettersson and a guy like Hague would make sense to bring in to replace him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whitecloud is a solid player but I think Korczak will be as good or better very soon and just as cheap through his RFA contract.

Then there's Pietrangelo ahead and Theodore, who might be our best defenseman going forward, who prefers the right side, and we'd probably like to accommodate that.

Then there's Miromanov behind him at RD and Hutton and Bjornfot are cheap and capable of playing either side on a bottom pairing.

I didn't think about it before but top four defensive LHD will be something we need to address next season or the season after.

It'd be great to keep Whitecloud but if he can get us a prime asset we could then flip for a long term solution in Hanafin, or a great forward who would fit the team and help a glaring weakness, and with an extra year, like Buchnevich, then I don't think that would be a poor use of a trade.
Any interest in Nick Schmaltz for Whitecloud?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Any interest in Nick Schmaltz for Whitecloud?

I haven't personally seen enough of Schmaltz to know how he'd fit with the team but at this point Vegas scouts should be looking at every possibility because they need help rounding out the scoring, and have to hope getting the big guns healthy can lead to a more productive forward group all throughout the lineup.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I haven't personally seen enough of Schmaltz to know how he'd fit with the team but at this point Vegas scouts should be looking at every possibility because they need help rounding out the scoring, and have to hope getting the big guns healthy can lead to a more productive forward group all throughout the lineup.
He’s a very slick, talented offensive forward. He does a lot of things well that you like to see in a center but he’s also quite poor at a lot of the things you’d like to see in a center. Which is why he’s bounced back and forth his whole career.

When he’s headed north, he flies through the neutral zone and enters the offensive zone with control. Where upon he’s a true dual threat, with creative, skilled passing ability and a deadly shot. This is very center-like. Going the other way, he’s a skilled pocket picker in the neutral zone. He’s very fast with the back pressure and skilled with stick lifts and generates rushes the other way when hounding the puck. This is very center-like.

However, in his own zone, he’s a complete non-entity. He’s soft as butter and he cheats like crazy. The opposite of what you want in a center. Totally unreliable. And he’s also terrible at faceoffs. Again, not very center like.

His Pts/82 w/AZ is 61.88 - meanwhile the Yotes have scored the 2nd fewest goals in the NHL in the seasons he’s been on the team.

He’s a very talented offensive player who’s produced on a very poor offensive team, despite dealing with several injuries.

Teams would be interested in him if they believe he could achieve more in a better environment with more talent to work with.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
He’s a very slick, talented offensive forward. He does a lot of things well that you like to see in a center but he’s also quite poor at a lot of the things you’d like to see in a center. Which is why he’s bounced back and forth his whole career.

When he’s headed north, he flies through the neutral zone and enters the offensive zone with control. Where upon he’s a true dual threat, with creative, skilled passing ability and a deadly shot. This is very center-like. Going the other way, he’s a skilled pocket picker in the neutral zone. He’s very fast with the back pressure and skilled with stick lifts and generates rushes the other way when hounding the puck. This is very center-like.

However, in his own zone, he’s a complete non-entity. He’s soft as butter and he cheats like crazy. The opposite of what you want in a center. Totally unreliable. And he’s also terrible at faceoffs. Again, not very center like.

His Pts/82 w/AZ is 61.88 - meanwhile the Yotes have scored the 2nd fewest goals in the NHL in the seasons he’s been on the team.

He’s a very talented offensive player who’s produced on a very poor offensive team, despite dealing with several injuries.

Teams would be interested in him if they believe he could achieve more in a better environment with more talent to work with.

That alone would probably be a non starter.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
ESPN has St. Louis sending Buchnevich to VGK for 2 1st's, Brisson and Cormier. What do people think??

I say way too much, I'd do maybe one 1st, a 3rd and Cormier. I want to hold on to Brisson, I think he might be a replacement for Marchy in a few years. I also think Buchnevich is good but not worth the price.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
ESPN has St. Louis sending Buchnevich to VGK for 2 1st's, Brisson and Cormier. What do people think??

I say way too much, I'd do maybe one 1st, a 3rd and Cormier. I want to hold on to Brisson, I think he might be a replacement for Marchy in a few years. I also think Buchnevich is good but not worth the price.

I thought it was a 1st, 2nd and Brisson and Cormier?

At any rate I'd give a 1st, 2nd and one of Brisson/Cormier and I think Buchnevich would be a great fit.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
If you guys do end up pursuing Guentzel, any chance a package around Hague could be doable?

We could include POJ as a replacement. We may be listening on Pettersson and a guy like Hague would make sense to bring in to replace him.
I'd send Hague to get Jake, and no need to include a D replacement, we're pretty stuffed there.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I thought it was a 1st, 2nd and Brisson and Cormier?

At any rate I'd give a 1st, 2nd and one of Brisson/Cormier and I think Buchnevich would be a great fit.
Well, I said a first and a third and Cormier, so we're close.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I would do something around the younger prospects like Karki and Cataford + picks. Not sure if that's what gets it done but Buchnevich would probably be their target. I wouldn't move anyone off the roster, including the potential AHL callups.

A PP with Guentzel Eichel Marchessault would be too nice for us.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I would do something around the younger prospects like Karki and Cataford + picks. Not sure if that's what gets it done but Buchnevich would probably be their target. I wouldn't move anyone off the roster, including the potential AHL callups.

A PP with Guentzel Eichel Marchessault would be too nice for us.
We'd still find ways not to score :laugh:

What about Brady Tkachuk, we got a first, we could ask Gary to give Ottawa back their first.... :sarcasm::laugh::laugh: Not that I can see him being moved, but apparently he's unhappy.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
We'd still find ways not to score :laugh:

What about Brady Tkachuk, we got a first, we could ask Gary to give Ottawa back their first.... :sarcasm::laugh::laugh: Not that I can see him being moved, but apparently he's unhappy.
I think the Tkachuk's being American prefer to be on an American team. But I believe he last year signed a long-term contract and don't know how we'd fit him in under the cap after this year.

Reactions: hangman005

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seeing the Blues scout you guys at NHL and AHL level, with Buchnevich being a great fit for you guys, I was curious about Korczak. Looks like he's rated pretty highly here, how do you guys project him moving forward?

Reactions: Blueston

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Seeing the Blues scout you guys at NHL and AHL level, with Buchnevich being a great fit for you guys, I was curious about Korczak. Looks like he's rated pretty highly here, how do you guys project him moving forward?

He's a top 4 D on pretty much any team not named Vegas right now. He's the only untouchable for me not on the current NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad