Speculation: 2024 trade deadline discussion

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, yeah, why trade for a middling goalie on a 5.4x4 contract when you've got better goalies on better contracts in Hill, & Thompson? And decent call up options?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Yeah it makes so much little sense for us it makes even less sense to write an article about what it doesn't make sense lol

I think I may have lost myself with that post. :laugh:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah it makes so much little sense for us it makes even less sense to write an article about what it doesn't make sense lol

I think I may have lost myself with that post. :laugh:

I was puzzled why someone would write this too. Is it because his name is Elvis? Of course we have no interest, the most we would go for a goalie would be a cheap veteran on an expiring deal who is a better #3 than Patera to give Thompson a few nights off.

Even then, we probably don't even do that with Hill being perpetually close to a return.

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Even then, we probably don't even do that with Hill being perpetually close to a return.
Patera is not good enough 3rd goalie so for sure they will acquire cheap guy to replace him in depth chart. We have heard how McCrimmon has said many times that earlier years have taught that you need to prepare for goalie injuries.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I hear there's this little guy called something like Mike Andrew Fury, who should be available at the TDL...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I hear there's this little guy called something like Mike Andrew Fury, who should be available at the TDL...

Speaking of former Knights, I had a question and I thought you might know.

There was another poster who said scar tissue from surgery needed three months to heal to 99%, when discussing Theodore getting surgery at the beginning of November.

Assuming that was something to consider, and they could LTIR Eichel until the playoffs, they would have 10 million to work with, and the extra roster spot always there if Carrier's surgery keeps him out until after the TDL after which there is no roster limit.

Could we trade for Reilly Smith back from the Pens for a small return to help them free up space and move on from someone I've seen their fans say isn't quite a fit there and rumors say isn't so happy there, that they got for literally nothing.

I know we can't get him back with retention within a year but if we just took him back full cap hit, is that allowed?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

There was another poster who said scar tissue from surgery needed three months to heal to 99%, when discussing Theodore getting surgery at the beginning of November.

Assuming that was something to consider, and they could LTIR Eichel until the playoffs, they would have 10 million to work with, and the extra roster spot always there if Carrier's surgery keeps him out until after the TDL after which there is no roster limit.

Could we trade for Reilly Smith back from the Pens for a small return to help them free up space and move on from someone I've seen their fans say isn't quite a fit there and rumors say isn't so happy there, that they got for literally nothing.

I know we can't get him back with retention within a year but if we just took him back full cap hit, is that allowed?
Trading somebody back is indeed legal if there has been no (and will be no) retention on the contract.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

I believe I was the poster commenting on the scar tissue. What I said was scar tissue heals 90% in 2-3 weeks and 99% in 2-3 months, thus putting Theodore back to the lineup roughly after the All-Star break.

My sense is that Eichel had knee damage and probably underwent arthroscopic surgery which might return him to the lineup in 2-3 weeks. However, if he underwent a larger procedure, then the same as Theodore likely applies, meaning he is out til the playoffs. Likely similar with Carrier.

I mentioned earlier in the season about Smith, but he's on IR (or LTIR) I think - he isn't playing tomorrow - though I think we need a sniper more. Again, though, with Theo on LTIR and IF Eichel is out until April, we may have enough for both types.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I believe I was the poster commenting on the scar tissue. What I said was scar tissue heals 90% in 2-3 weeks and 99% in 2-3 months, thus putting Theodore back to the lineup roughly after the All-Star break.

My sense is that Eichel had knee damage and probably underwent arthroscopic surgery which might return him to the lineup in 2-3 weeks. However, if he underwent a larger procedure, then the same as Theodore likely applies, meaning he is out til the playoffs. Likely similar with Carrier.

I mentioned earlier in the season about Smith, but he's on IR (or LTIR) I think - he isn't playing tomorrow - though I think we need a sniper more. Again, though, with Theo on LTIR and IF Eichel is out until April, we may have enough for both types.

Yeah I'm not saying I know anything about how long Eichel will be out but just that if he were LTIR until the playoffs they could afford Smith full cap (and next season they could probably afford his final year and maybe sign a team friendly extension as depth) and they could even get a Henrique with 20% retained and still have enough room for a 25-26 man roster after the deadline for injuries.

I'm also pretty sure Marchessault would take a little discount on his extension if that meant Smith came back. Henrique could also be a cheaper or shorter term or just better (depending on Stephenson's play) alternative to Stephenson. But again that all would be if Eichel were going to be out for three months.

I hear you about a sniper but if we brought in Smith and Henrique and got Eichel back for the playoffs we'd have a deeper team than even last year and could come at teams in waves with all four lines and all three pairings and generate offense from that while having almost an entire lineup of responsible players who can also do the job on the defensive end.

With Hill/Thompson backstopping them and Cassidy and crew behind the bench, I think there would be no excuses for not making a real run at a repeat.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From the discussion here, there is obvious speculation that Smith going back to Vegas would make sense for both sides. What might the trade look like? I can't imagine the Penguins would want a 3rd back, I'm probably looking for a player, but I'm not really seeing anyone who makes sense.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
From the discussion here, there is obvious speculation that Smith going back to Vegas would make sense for both sides. What might the trade look like? I can't imagine the Penguins would want a 3rd back, I'm probably looking for a player, but I'm not really seeing anyone who makes sense.

A lot of my speculation was when it was unclear how long some of our big stars would be out.

Now it's probable all of our injured players are back by early March so we can no longer afford Smith in all likelihood, without another significant LTIR, since we can't by the rules get him back at anything less than his full cap hit this season.

I suppose it's possible in order to make room we could trade Martinez to someone like NJ with their need for defensemen and available cap this season with Hamilton out, but I don't know if I can see that happening.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
A lot of my speculation was when it was unclear how long some of our big stars would be out.

Now it's probable all of our injured players are back by early March so we can no longer afford Smith in all likelihood, without another significant LTIR, since we can't by the rules get him back at anything less than his full cap hit this season.

I suppose it's possible in order to make room we could trade Martinez to someone like NJ with their need for defensemen and available cap this season with Hamilton out, but I don't know if I can see that happening.

Only way I can see Martinez moving is if they are upgrading at LD. For as strong as we are on the right side with Korczak essentially 4th and Miro 5th we aren't so much at LD.

Us having 3 scouts at CGY/NJ has me thinking they might be after Hanifin with the idea of extending him.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
are they gunning for a top end player again? with stone on ltir.

I've seen rumors of them being one of the teams in on Hanafin. But that's been around before Stone got injured yesterday.

They'd probably move Martinez if they were to pull the trigger on something like that but if Stone is on LTIR (we don't know that yet) maybe they don't have to, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense to keep him if they do. Hutton would be the 7th and he's been no worse and possibly better than Martinez this year. Then there'd still be Miromanov, Korczak and Bjornfot.

They could possibly look at Tarasenko, Henrique or Buchnevich up front.

I don't know if they'd spend the asset cost for two bigger ticket players though, so it would probably be one or the other, and then go cheap if they bring in a second player.

I don't know if Stone possibly being on LTIR changes the plans at all beyond maybe they wouldn't have to trade Martinez to afford anything if they thought the cost to move him would be too much.

We do still have rather limited trade assets to spend after all.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I've heard rumblings that they are looking at a Capital player, likely either Pacioretty (cheap and affordable and at least he can snipe on the power play) or Mantha.

Our needs are not defense, so I could see Hanifin as a UFA but why give up assets for him?

I'd prefer to keep developing a deep roster to compete for the Cup every year rather than go all in for just one year.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I've heard rumblings that they are looking at a Capital player, likely either Pacioretty (cheap and affordable and at least he can snipe on the power play) or Mantha.

Our needs are not defense, so I could see Hanifin as a UFA but why give up assets for him?

I'd prefer to keep developing a deep roster to compete for the Cup every year rather than go all in for just one year.

For a team that has been dealing with injuries all season, trading for another easily injured player is not a good idea. I don't want Pacioretty back.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
For a team that has been dealing with injuries all season, trading for another easily injured player is not a good idea. I don't want Pacioretty back.
Understood, but he'd cost us virtually nothing. I wouldn't want him either if Washington wants anything more than a 6th or 7 round draft choice, but my preference is not to give up big assets for a quick fix. If we don't win the Cup this year, so be it, what I look for is building a deep team that is a contender year after year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Understood, but he'd cost us virtually nothing. I wouldn't want him either if Washington wants anything more than a 6th or 7 round draft choice, but my preference is not to give up big assets for a quick fix. If we don't win the Cup this year, so be it, what I look for is building a deep team that is a contender year after year.

Vegas has been good about not overpaying for rentals and locking down the players they trade for if they fit.

I think if they brought in a bigger name, like Hanafin, it would be with the expectation of signing long term.

Hanafin, in particular, would be a long term solution and hedge against Pietrangelo declining, and maybe help us get the most from the 8.8 million cap hit he has remaining for the three years after this.

I'm okay with giving up prime assets for a multi-year solution coming back.

If Stone is not playing until the playoffs or later, I could see the team spending for Hanafin if they feel good about a re-sign and then bringing back Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick to free up Pittsburgh cap as most agree it isn't working for him there.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Isles fan coming in peace to see if Brock Nelson would be a fit here for you. He has an additional year at 6M so not sure what that does for your cap situation. Lots of talk about Guentzel being a target, and while Brock has never put up a 40 goal season like Guentzel has, he paced for one over 72 games 2 seasons ago, as well as putting up 36 last season and maintaining a similar pace this season. He also plays center and has never played on a line with anyone you might consider generational - his most consistent line mates over the past 3 seasons have been Anthony Beauvillier, Kyle Palmieri, and Pierre Engvall. I mention all this because I know he's less of a household name but he arguably holds the higher trade value of the two.

Isles would probably be looking for more of a re-tool situation with younger players than a straight up picks and prospects thing. Appreciate any feedback, thank you!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00