Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And yet rejected them 4 times already, even with Monaco.
Problem is you understand nothing about Mbappe and it's nothing new.
The only here who made the right call every single time about him leaving or not was me.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Mbappe leaving is bad news for Ligue 1 more than anyone. A lot of people tuned in because of one team, then because of one player. They'll have no reason to watch Ligue 1 anymore.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Gent striker Cuypers to MLS's Chicago for a clean 12 mil. Good striker at the Belgian league level, should be good in the States.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe leaving is bad news for Ligue 1 more than anyone. A lot of people tuned in because of one team, then because of one player. They'll have no reason to watch Ligue 1 anymore.
Sure it will hurt L1.
As for casuals who only watch L1 for Mbappe then we won't regret them.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am not sure I fully agree.. but I get your point from a casual, pure marketing view.

Mbappé while a good player is not the reason I would watch ligue 1. I think the biggest cancer is Qatar/PSG as a whole.

I would rather watch a more obscure/competitive league than one team with 10x times bigger budget than all other challengers.

The weirdest thing is how Paris only have 1 decent team. It's mind boggling, London have like 20 teams, same with Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and even New York have multiple teams.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I am not sure I fully agree.. but I get your point from a casual, pure marketing view.

Mbappé while a good player is not the reason I would watch ligue 1. I think the biggest cancer is Qatar/PSG as a whole.

I would rather watch a more obscure/competitive league than one team with 10x times bigger budget than all other challengers.

The weirdest thing is how Paris only have 1 decent team. It's mind boggling, London have like 20 teams, same with Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and even New York have multiple teams.
If it didn't matter, Macron wouldn't have been putting the full-court press on to keep him. PSG will throw money at some other big name player, potentially even a French one, but they won't be Mbappe and the league overall will suffer.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Because Paris has always been a Rugby city, as has much of France, at least until well into the 70s.

• Haha
Reactions: Evilo

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ornstein reporting that PSG will be going after Osimhen in the summer. As good of a source you can get, especially with ties at Arsenal and them potentially going after a big-name striker like Victor as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
France a rugby country...
Someone is very much out of touch.
I mean, they sort of are, especially with France winning the 6 Nations last year and having one of the best players in the world (Antoine Dupont). I am not sure if Paris is a rugby city, I don't really consider it a sports city to be fair (compared to Madrid or London or Rome for that matter). Nonetheless, Toulouse is the king of rugby in France. Besides football, I think tennis or F1 are the only ones that come close to rugby in 2nd place, no?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, they sort of are, especially with France winning the 6 Nations last year and having one of the best players in the world (Antoine Dupont). I am not sure if Paris is a rugby city, I don't really consider it a sports city to be fair (compared to Madrid or London or Rome for that matter). Nonetheless, Toulouse is the king of rugby in France. Besides football, I think tennis or F1 are the only ones that come close to rugby in 2nd place, no?
Rugby is huge in the south of France. Absolutely non existant in the north.
Football is number one in the North and in many areas even in the south (Marseille, Nice etc...).

Reactions: Power Man

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I wrote until the 70s in Paris. It is well known that in other areas of France rugby is more followed than football. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Guys France is a cycling country
Used too, not really anymore.

Collective sports is our forte.
Arguably the best in football, handball and volleyball. Among the best in rugby, basketball, etc...
We suck at hockey though, so that's terrible.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Used too, not really anymore.

Collective sports is our forte.
Arguably the best in football, handball and volleyball. Among the best in rugby, basketball, etc...
We suck at hockey though, so that's terrible.
You also dominated the world of rallying for like 15 years in a row.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
We’re being linked with a 75m swoop for both Iñaki and Nico Williams yet again… no clue how that would work

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I've followed the French league the last 3 years due to several factors:
- it actually being shown on my available channels (lol)
- Kovac managing Monaco, Tudor managing OM
- Majer playing for Rennes
- and yes, Messi/Neymar/Mbappe playing for PSG

And I agree the Qatar/PSG thing is a bit of a downer, but the football is very watchable, the level of talent is fantastic, and you get to see some absolute gems in their early years (watching Tchoumeni at Monaco, for example, etc.).

I think PSG can move on from Mbappe and be the better organization for it.
With Mbappe, they've been doing the Barca thing with Messi - EVERYTHING is aligned towards one player.

If PSG can sign a few top players for the money saved (let's say Leao, Osimhen and a quality CM and defender), they will still be a top team.
But now, with the chance to establish a team-first mentality and culture.

At the same time, the move should work for Mbappe as well. While still a superstar (obviously), Real Madrid never catered to any ONE player in the way that PSG or Barca did.
He'll be an international superstar, but he'll be "one of the guys" along with Bellingham, Vini, etc.
If anything, there are guys in that team still not recognized as full out stars, and they absolutely should be, Valverde, Camavinga, etc.
I've watched basically every Barca and RM game for 2 decades... Modric, Xavi and Iniesta are a breed apart from every midfielder in that span - but Camavinga has the talent, ability and the mentality to be right up there. It's not been talked about enough just how amazing he is, especially for his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad