OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Canada qualifies for Copa America in a do-or-die qualifier and will play the first game of the tournament vs. Messi and Argentina on June 20.

The organization is in financial shambles and the current manager is godawful. Really can't squander this generation of players and the World Cup '26 yet it feels like they're doing their best to do exactly that.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Canada qualifies for Copa America in a do-or-die qualifier and will play the first game of the tournament vs. Messi and Argentina on June 20.

The organization is in financial shambles and the current manager is godawful. Really can't squander this generation of players and the World Cup '26 yet it feels like they're doing their best to do exactly that.
It’s exactly what they are doing.

Pissing away all the good will of qualifying for the WC and putting in a half decent showing.

Instead of building on it, things are going backwards.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canada makes the Copa America tournament. Their reward are group stage games against Argentina, Chile and Peru.

Chile and Peru are rated in the 40's in the FIFFA rankings, so Canada could be competitive, As for Argentina, you can probably forget about it. But at least all games will be played on U.S. soil.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
it could’ve been a LOT worse, but could’ve been a lot better too. I though alphy looked very dangerous which is good. The top shelf snipe was nice too.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Caps lose their first game of the season, 2-1-1 so far. Gauld and Cubas are the backbone of the team and it really showed tonight with Cubas on international duty.

It is really nice to see the stadium more full this season, even if it's from all the season tickets for the Messi game. Atmosphere is so much better.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Caps lose their first game of the season, 2-1-1 so far. Gauld and Cubas are the backbone of the team and it really showed tonight with Cubas on international duty.

It is really nice to see the stadium more full this season, even if it's from all the season tickets for the Messi game. Atmosphere is so much better.

Was on a flight for the first half but (unfortunately) saw the second. I know that Schopf isn't a fan favourite but I think he's heads and shoulders above Berhalter. Ahmed was a danger on the break though there's some seasoning that is needed with his chances. I think I've found my new whipping boy in Raposo now that Teibert has retired. He's a defensive liability, especially when he was moved to the right side and he does the Teibert pass on many occasions (i.e. when they have a great chance to move the ball forward, he turns around and passes back to the defense).

Reactions: Red

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Canada makes the Copa America tournament. Their reward are group stage games against Argentina, Chile and Peru.

Chile and Peru are rated in the 40's in the FIFFA rankings, so Canada could be competitive, As for Argentina, you can probably forget about it. But at least all games will be played on U.S. soil.

You do know that FIFA rankings mean absolutely nothing. Chile and Peru are much better than they are considered in the rankings.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
You do know that FIFA rankings mean absolutely nothing. Chile and Peru are much better than they are considered in the rankings.

Our squad has some rather good players but man, these guys are totally clueless in the final third. The backline is also shit and was getting exposed once Trinidad and Tobego mounted pressure going forward.

Peru and Chile are good quality sides that will certainly generate chances in attack and we simply don't have the guys to defend against these.

Mauro Biello better be set on employing a high press attacking style in the tournament...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From the looks of things early on, if nothing else this Caps team will be entertaining.....and not just because Vanni Sartini is back.....They're scoring a lot but giving up a lot of goals.

But with a 3-1-1 record, they look they might be the real deal. Could make going to Caps games at B.C. Place fun again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was at the game.

Boys played fantastic.

TFCs back line was horrendous though.
Didn't realize until I read the story that 'home' for John Herdman is actually Vancouver. His family lives here, and his son plays soccer locally.

Probably wishes he was coaching the Caps instead of Toronto FC right now.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
CMNT has booked and qualified for a string of very high-profile games coming up.

vs. Netherlands June 6 (ranked 7th - friendly)
vs. France June 9 (ranked 2nd - friendly)
vs. Argentina June 20 (ranked 1st - Copa)
vs. Peru June 25 (ranked 32nd - Copa)
vs. Chile June 29 (ranked 42nd - Copa)
vs. Mexico Sept 10 (ranked 14th - friendly)

CMNT is currently ranked 49th. This is the most significant string of games I can remember in terms of quality of opponent outside of the World Cup. I'm not hopeful in terms of results lol but it's very important for our prep for WC '26 and the future.

Team desperately needs a competent manager to be hired before Copa but the new General Secretary/CEO is doing the right things so far.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
CMNT has booked and qualified for a string of very high-profile games coming up.

CMNT is currently ranked 49th. This is the most significant string of games I can remember in terms of quality of opponent outside of the World Cup. I'm not hopeful in terms of results lol but it's very important for our prep for WC '26 and the future.

Team desperately needs a competent manager to be hired before Copa but the new General Secretary/CEO is doing the right things so far.
That is some fantastic competition.

But my word. They are going to get murdered; especially by the first 3 opponents.

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That is some fantastic competition.

But my word. They are going to get murdered; especially by the first 3 opponents.

Netherlands, France and Argentina will blow us out like how Croatia did. Our backline will get shredded.

Peru plays fantastic defensive football. That will be a boring game.

Chile is in a down cycle.

Mexico is a toss up.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Netherlands, France and Argentina will blow us out like how Croatia did. Our backline will get shredded.

Peru plays fantastic defensive football. That will be a boring game.

Chile is in a down cycle.

Mexico is a toss up.

I agree and think they probably lose to Mexico too, but this is a good thing.

And I was surprised when they outplayed Belgium at the World Cup.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Whitecaps with another win yesterday over Seattle. Now 1st in the Western conference. Gauld and Cubas the engines of the team again.

Need to pickup some players in the summer transfer window to take advantage of the strong start and make a real push into playoff success for once.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I leave it to fans who follow the Caps and MLS closer than I do, but clearly something is happening with this squad.....I don't think they won three road games last year until the season was half done.

I know they're at the top of the table in the Western Conference right now, but what do they need to add to this roster in order to stay there?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

i don't care if we get rocked. that is a f***ing awesome set of games over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00