OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
1. No surprise the Whitecaps bow out to Tigres in the Concacaf Champions Cup, though they held their own at Starlight Stadium in Langford last week until the very end. Playing a mid-season powerhouse in Monterrey was never going to be easy, and they fall 3-0 there.

2. The club unveiled their 50th anniversary kits, and they look pretty damn sharp. They look black on some screens, but are actually still dark blue. It’s a bit Philadelphia Union-ish, but those guys have great kits. (Actually they’ve involved a double-blue which looks very Capsy too).

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
1. No surprise the Whitecaps bow out to Tigres in the Concacaf Champions Cup, though they held their own at Starlight Stadium in Langford last week until the very end. Playing a mid-season powerhouse in Monterrey was never going to be easy, and they fall 3-0 there.

2. The club unveiled their 50th anniversary kits, and they look pretty damn sharp. They look black on some screens, but are actually still dark blue. It’s a bit Philadelphia Union-ish, but those guys have great kits. (Actually they’ve involved a double-blue which looks very Capsy too).

LA FC + Philly Union = VWFC 👏

Good thing they locked up Gauld but an underwhelming off-season so far. Probably going to take a step back in the standings unless they can upgrade in net (Takaoka isn't very good), sign a good quality striker along with a CB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jyrki21

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Big name, but I think his career was close to curtains anyway. Pogba has been a declining player since the 2018-2019 and the recent string of injuries has greatly effected his ability to move around the pitch in that MF/CB role. Biggest story is the ban will allow Juve to terminate the contract and save 33 mil euro's (will need to pay back some taxes though along with several fees).

Funny enough, I think he will win the appeal and make a go for a huge pay day in the Saudi League.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Caps aren't getting much love from MLS prognosticators.....once again they're being picked to miss the playoffs in the West.

Hopefully they take this dissing as a challenge, and find a way to climb into the playoffs again. But like very season, it figures to be a life and death struggle.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Suarez is actually looking great for Inter Miami. Not sure anyone has a chance against Miami this season. Just ridiculous.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Suarez is actually looking great for Inter Miami. Not sure anyone has a chance against Miami this season. Just ridiculous.

Lots of rules were bent to allow a single MLS team to stack their roster. League is pathetic.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Caps were garbage in the 1st and got lucky at the end with a goal that 9/10 does not go in.

Played with more effort in the 2nd but this team ain’t doing anything.

Lastly, they played Gauld up top on the left and then on the right. Completely out of position and had no barring on the game. He should be in the middle.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
2024-03-03t001722z-1982784774-mt1usatoday22676247-rtrmadp-3-mls-lafc-at-real-salt-lake-copy.jpg

The MLS is still a joke. I can't believe they allowed play in this weather.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Caps were garbage in the 1st and got lucky at the end with a goal that 9/10 does not go in.

Played with more effort in the 2nd but this team ain’t doing anything.

Lastly, they played Gauld up top on the left and then on the right. Completely out of position and had no barring on the game. He should be in the middle.

I am willing to go to a game because it's cheap, but man, there's still little interest in following the product because it's well known we are never aspiring to win anything in this league. Gauld and Cubas are decent pieces but we really round out our rosters with mediocre or aging talent.

We are 18th in spending right now which as good as it's going to get because a lot of the teams behind us will be spending in the summer transfer period. I like Vanni but really think this franchise needs a legitimate manager.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Why? It's awesome.

And I can remember Arsenal playing West Brom in a game that looked exactly like this a couple years back in the Premier League.

The ball stops in the snow, there's almost no passing or anything technical.

It's good for the viewer but not for the players either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The ball stops in the snow, there's almost no passing or anything technical.

It's good for the viewer but not for the players either.

Not all games have to be exactly the same out of a cookie-cutter.

It's fun to see things that are cool and different once in a while and 'good for the viewer' is kind of the whole point of pro sports.

Arsenal also massacred West Brom in that snow game, scored a couple brilliant goals including the play of Kieran Tierney's career.

Canada-Mexico a year or two ago in Edmonton with players flying into the snowbank after scoring was also iconic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! That might be the prettiest goal I've seen the Whitecaps score since Alphonso Davies left for Europe.

San Jose looks like a lame team at 0-3, but road wins for Vancouver have been hard to come by in recent seasons.

Don't follow the MLS that closely, but where does this 'Caps team rank this season?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Don't follow the MLS that closely, but where does this 'Caps team rank this season?
The Caps will always be lower-middle-class in MLS, which is a league where -- despite anything you'll read here -- about 3/4 of the teams are in the mushy middle. As I summed it up in the last thread:

Yeah, the essentialist arguments blaming ownership are lazy at this point. As I constantly point out, the Whitecaps are very much "MLS average", and had quite a good season. They just aren't elite because only a few teams are (and they are in the glitzy markets that foreigners have heard of). They've shelled out quite a bit of money -- the problem is they basically have to go after Canadian players (which is how you get a massive contract for Cavallini for example) because the real problem, and the real reason the Whitecaps will always have a ceiling in MLS is that they play in Western Canada on turf. That is it. They are not getting top international stars as long as that is true, no matter how ambitious the ownership is.

So like at least half the league, the goal is to squeeze into the playoffs (there's never more than a few points' separation among the bottom 5 or so playoff teams) and hope for a lucky run. The Caps are somewhere in the middle of that, but never a contender on paper.

Reactions: Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whitecaps with a dominating game in Dallas......scored three first half goals and coasted to a 3-1 result against F.C. Dallas.

Now two road-wins for the Caps with the season barely underway. Seemed to me it took them half a season last year to register two road-wins. Team is looking solid so far, although I guess San Jose and Dallas aren't the strongest sides in MLS.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Whitecaps with a dominating game in Dallas......scored three first half goals and coasted to a 3-1 result against F.C. Dallas.

Now two road-wins for the Caps with the season barely underway. Seemed to me it took them half a season last year to register two road-wins. Team is looking solid so far, although I guess San Jose and Dallas aren't the strongest sides in MLS.
You can only play the teams they put in front of you and it's a bad sign when you cannot put away bad teams. So that's nice anyway.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Watching the Canucks play winning is apparently effecting my "inner Canucks fan masochism" since I want to watch the national team play tomorrow...is it televised or free online anywhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00