Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't bet on this, we had that last year and it didn't end well.

I don't like the idea for him anyway, just going to exponentially crank up the unfair comparisons, especially with dad being such a respected leader and gritty presence. Hope the kid lands in a completely different market where he can just be his own player.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
With Vancouver’s win, Edmonton’s pick is now guaranteed to be in the #24 or #25 slot (before playoff results). Now we just hope they don’t make it to the conference finals.
Edmonton's pick finishes the regular season at the #24 slot. Unfortunately for us, I believe they really lucked out on their side of the bracket. They will play LA in round 1, and if they win they will play the winner of Vancouver-Nashville. I would argue that Vancouver, LA, and Nashville are the 3 Western teams least likely to win it all. If Edmonton makes it to round 3, then their pick drop down to at least #29.

Reactions: lwvs84

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland

Some Demidov if you guys want to see what makes him special besides his stats, which yeah, MHL.

There are areas in his game where he is much stronger than Michkov, but Michkov was more proven at same age and Demidov is an unknown against stronger competition. This is the toughest he has faced while playing his position and role in the team, 1st line wing.

Worthy of 2nd overall even despite his opposition?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Edmonton's pick finishes the regular season at the #24 slot. Unfortunately for us, I believe they really lucked out on their side of the bracket. They will play LA in round 1, and if they win they will play the winner of Vancouver-Nashville. I would argue that Vancouver, LA, and Nashville are the 3 Western teams least likely to win it all. If Edmonton makes it to round 3, then their pick drop down to at least #29.
I have a feeling the oilers could end up in the finals this year

Not a big deal regarding pick tho.... if we want someone higher up we have the ability/assets to trade up.

Reactions: lwvs84

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The bottom 6 this year is the exact same bottom 6 group as last year just a somewhat different order. Wild.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Helenius seems to be shooting up the rankings with his production and the play for the Finlands national team lately. He's a scoring RW we need but doesn't fit the Pats height limit :laugh:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I think Helenius would be a better center than wing in the NHL. We are the only unfortunate team that doesn't benefit from that.

I still think Demidov is who we should target but it is close and unfortunately none of the others provide as promising of an offensive impact while still having the potential for a respectable 3 way game.

Lindstrom's injuries make him really iffy compared to Demidov. Catton is fine, but Demidov feels like just a bit more aggressive version of him, while both are alright defensively. Iginla is a step below both offensively, but his shot is an asset and he has an edge to him aswell, very similar to Demidov. Then there's Helenius who feels just more of a 2nd line puck possession, creates a lot of advantages and still plays responsibly center than an opportunistic scoring winger.

They are all great and all have even more potential, but I'd go for the biggest potential in Demidov.

Reactions: MMC

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Helenius would be a better center than wing in the NHL. We are the only unfortunate team that doesn't benefit from that.

I still think Demidov is who we should target but it is close and unfortunately none of the others provide as promising of an offensive impact while still having the potential for a respectable 3 way game.

Lindstrom's injuries make him really iffy compared to Demidov. Catton is fine, but Demidov feels like just a bit more aggressive version of him, while both are alright defensively. Iginla is a step below both offensively, but his shot is an asset and he has an edge to him aswell, very similar to Demidov. Then there's Helenius who feels just more of a 2nd line puck possession, creates a lot of advantages and still plays responsibly center than an opportunistic scoring winger.

They are all great and all have even more potential, but I'd go for the biggest potential in Demidov.
I just can’t see us going forward this year and the guys that make sense for us are in the 12-20 range.

Hopefully we’re 3rd and levshunov is on board for us, if not I’d trade down to a team that wants lindstrom/Demidov in the 5-10 range and grab 1 of buium/yakemchuk/jiricek or Dickinson

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I just can’t see us going forward this year and the guys that make sense for us are in the 12-20 range.

Hopefully we’re 3rd and levshunov is on board for us, if not I’d trade down to a team that wants lindstrom/Demidov in the 5-10 range and grab 1 of buium/yakemchuk/jiricek or Dickinson
I don't understand why we wouldn't be picking forward. Because we want only defensemen under 23 on the roster when we want to compete?

If by make sense for us around 12-20, you mean they have the qualities that Verbeek looks for, I agree and am prepared for disappointment.

I think we need another impactful veteran on defense and drafting a defenseman wouldn't change the scenery substantially if at all. That would be very disappointing for a 3rd OA. Even if we did go defenseman, there's no more pucks to distribute and we need a stable defensive force. That could be Levshunov, Dickinson, maybe Jiricek or Elick but not Buium, Yakemchuk or Parekh.

Reactions: Kalv

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I don't really understand where the seemingly commonly understood need for a D-man comes from either. We're in sore need of high end scoring talent, especially if Terry's miserable season wasn't just an odd down year.

I'd much rather draft a scoring forward than a D in a draft where no clear Hedman-level talent can be had with a top 5 pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't really understand where the seemingly commonly understood need for a D-man comes from either. We're in sore need of high end scoring talent, especially if Terry's miserable season wasn't just an odd down year.

I'd much rather draft a scoring forward than a D in a draft where no clear Hedman-level talent can be had with a top 5 pick.
I mean you are asking for hedman lvl talent on back end, but there isn’t really any mackinnon lvl talent at forward either.

I don't understand why we wouldn't be picking forward. Because we want only defensemen under 23 on the roster when we want to compete?

If by make sense for us around 12-20, you mean they have the qualities that Verbeek looks for, I agree and am prepared for disappointment.

I think we need another impactful veteran on defense and drafting a defenseman wouldn't change the scenery substantially if at all. That would be very disappointing for a 3rd OA. Even if we did go defenseman, there's no more pucks to distribute and we need a stable defensive force. That could be Levshunov, Dickinson, maybe Jiricek or Elick but not Buium, Yakemchuk or Parekh.

You could literally say the same thing about forwards….all the impact forwards are essentially 22 and under…. We need a vet forward among them, more than we need another 18 year old

We have potential 1c, and top 6 wingers(even if its moving a center to wing)

We still don’t have top pair dmen yet…. Mintyukov looks like he can be 1, zellweger looks like he’ll be top 4 minimum….. but def still room to add more dmen with the potential to be top pair

Granted I’m not super high on any of the forwards in this draft, and the ones I do like are closer to 15 than 3

Reactions: Rasp and eaterfan

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I mean you are asking for hedman lvl talent on back end, but there isn’t really any mackinnon lvl talent at forward either.

You could literally say the same thing about forwards….all the impact forwards are essentially 22 and under…. We need a vet forward among them, more than we need another 18 year old

We have potential 1c, and top 6 wingers(even if its moving a center to wing)

We still don’t have top pair dmen yet…. Mintyukov looks like he can be 1, zellweger looks like he’ll be top 4 minimum….. but def still room to add more dmen with the potential to be top pair

Granted I’m not super high on any of the forwards in this draft, and the ones I do like are closer to 15 than 3
This is where I'm at.

The top 5-6 dmen would have gone before any dmen in last year's draft. Other than Cellebrini, the top forwards in this draft wouldn't have been in the top 5-6 taken. There isn't a no doubt D-man in this class. After Cellebrini, there isn't a no doubt forward, either. But the quality of prospect is much higher on the D side and the ceilings are higher, IMO.

I don't think anyone is advocating a defenseman over Cellebrini, but after that I think it's a better quality of player and just as big a need.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is where I'm at.

The top 5-6 dmen would have gone before any dmen in last year's draft. Other than Cellebrini, the top forwards in this draft wouldn't have been in the top 5-6 taken. There isn't a no doubt D-man in this class. After Cellebrini, there isn't a no doubt forward, either. But the quality of prospect is much higher on the D side and the ceilings are higher, IMO.

I don't think anyone is advocating a defenseman over Cellebrini, but after that I think it's a better quality of player and just as big a need.
Maybe Demidov , but I don’t see us takin him

Variety of different dmen to choose from, I just like the options better for dmen in this draft.

Reactions: eaterfan

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
Maybe Demidov , but I don’t see us takin him

Variety of different dmen to choose from, I just like the options better for dmen in this draft.
He's not as good as Mitchkov, 5th F taken, and IMO wasn't as good as Leonard. I could see people disagreeing with Leonard, though.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
At this point I'm just going to wait another couple of weeks to see where the Ducks are picking. I will say that IMO this draft is full of flawed players and picking for need could be very unwise.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At this point I'm just going to wait another couple of weeks to see where the Ducks are picking. I will say that IMO this draft is full of flawed players and picking for need could be very unwise.

Maybe on the same token it’s flawed across the board… and there isn’t really a clear cut ranking

I think your getting similar tier player 2-10… rather it be someone with more need

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe on the same token it’s flawed across the board… and there isn’t really a clear cut ranking

I think your getting similar tier player 2-10… rather it be someone with more need
Maybe but I see more bust/underperformers in this draft than normal...starting with the D. That said, I've learned with PV/Madden to expect the unexpected and not always be happy with the result.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe but I see more bust/underperformers in this draft than normal...starting with the D. That said, I've learned with PV/Madden to expect the unexpected and not always be happy with the result.

Ya I could def see a lindholm type pick here…. Something that shocks everyone.

I think if levshunov is on the board and we’re picking 3-5, that’ll be our pick…. He’s been great jumping through leagues and in limited time on NA ice. He’s built well in terms of height + strength…. I think he’s pretty raw to this point, and going to take big steps next season or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad