Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve been watching about 6-8 games per week this season. I’ve be game pretty much every night. Either Yotes, CHL, MHL, NCAA or USHL. Watched a lot of CHL and much less of the MHL, NCAA and USHL this season (though I’ll be watching a ton of MHL playoffs). So I’ve seen multiple games of every guy on my top 21 there. And some I’ve seen well over a dozen times.

I’d say that makes me some kind of authority on the subject except for one minor detail; I have no idea what I’m doing. Haha. I’m no scout. Not even close. I watch a bunch of games and I pick out which kids I like best. Then I watch all the YouTube scout videos and listen to all the prospect podcasts and read all the articles.

I’ve watched every draft since 1996. I’ve followed the draft very closely since 2001. I watch all the international tournaments. And I pay very close attention.

But I still have no idea what I am doing. I can’t project a prospect into the future like a scout can. I don’t know the tiny details of what I’m looking at. I’ve never played or coached at a level higher than rec league. It’s always been just for fun hockey I’ve been involved in. And I watch junior games as a fan. And follow the draft as a fan.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Letourneau doesn't seem to be climbing yet. He could be available with our 2nd.

It would require some trades and bundling but it would be so fun to walk away with Silayev and Pulkkinen and Letourneau.

Reactions: Cameron Poe Dameron

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’ve been watching about 6-8 games per week this season. I’ve be game pretty much every night. Either Yotes, CHL, MHL, NCAA or USHL. Watched a lot of CHL and much less of the MHL, NCAA and USHL this season (though I’ll be watching a ton of MHL playoffs). So I’ve seen multiple games of every guy on my top 21 there. And some I’ve seen well over a dozen times.

I’d say that makes me some kind of authority on the subject except for one minor detail; I have no idea what I’m doing. Haha. I’m no scout. Not even close. I watch a bunch of games and I pick out which kids I like best. Then I watch all the YouTube scout videos and listen to all the prospect podcasts and read all the articles.

I’ve watched every draft since 1996. I’ve followed the draft very closely since 2001. I watch all the international tournaments. And I pay very close attention.

But I still have no idea what I am doing. I can’t project a prospect into the future like a scout can. I don’t know the tiny details of what I’m looking at. I’ve never played or coached at a level higher than rec league. It’s always been just for fun hockey I’ve been involved in. And I watch junior games as a fan. And follow the draft as a fan.
I'm not sure if you're trying to qualify, or disqualify yourself as a voice. You watch more prospects than most of us, that gives you some level of power in your opinions, correct or not. You also seem to be a capable researcher, so it could be generally assumed that you have a good idea about what your saying.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm not sure if you're trying to qualify, or disqualify yourself as a voice. You watch more prospects than most of us, that gives you some level of power in your opinions, correct or not. You also seem to be a capable researcher, so it could be generally assumed that you have a good idea about what your saying.
Disqualifying is what I’m doing. Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: YotesFan47

Cameron Poe Dameron

Jul 19, 2022

Haha well that's way more than a lot of people. I'd say even the pro's don't entirely know what they're doing or we wouldn't have so many steals and busts.

I want to put Lindstrom 2, I'm liking Lindstrom's potential as a skilled power forward.
I really really really like lindstrom so I couldn't argue with that either. He just has such a complete skill set. Supposedly a great kid off the ice too but a real a hole on it. In a good way.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I want to put Lindstrom 2, I'm liking Lindstrom's potential as a skilled power forward.
I go back and forth on Lindstrom. I love just about everything in his game. He's one mean SOB, faster than he should be and has more Matthew in his game than Brady.

I also have a hard time wanting to take power forwards too high in drafts just because they are power forwards. I feel like it's really a coin toss that they have the confidence to play that style of game once they hit the big leagues. For every Brady Tkachuk there seems to be two Virtanen's.

And on the flip side I feel like you can find power forwards later in the draft who have the potential to make the same impact that one drafted in the top ten can have. It's all about having that blind confidence to wreck full grown men when you are in your early 20's and then turn around and be able to score. It's

All that being said Lindstrom sure as hell passes the eye test. He has the swagger too. I'd be completely thrilled if we drafted him. But I would be lying if I said he I'd be as happy to draft him as I would with Levshunov or Silayev.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I go back and forth on Lindstrom. I love just about everything in his game. He's one mean SOB, faster than he should be and has more Matthew in his game than Brady.

I also have a hard time wanting to take power forwards too high in drafts just because they are power forwards. I feel like it's really a coin toss that they have the confidence to play that style of game once they hit the big leagues. For every Brady Tkachuk there seems to be two Virtanen's.

And on the flip side I feel like you can find power forwards later in the draft who have the potential to make the same impact that one drafted in the top ten can have. It's all about having that blind confidence to wreck full grown men when you are in your early 20's and then turn around and be able to score. It's

All that being said Lindstrom sure as hell passes the eye test. He has the swagger too. I'd be completely thrilled if we drafted him. But I would be lying if I said he I'd be as happy to draft him as I would with Levshunov or Silayev.

And then I watch more clips of him and get more and more.obsessed with him hahaha.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I flip-flop on him too. Most days I want Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson, but some days I want Celebrini/Lindstrom.

Really my problem is that I have given prospects the lowest attention this year in roughly a decade, so my opinions have a weak foundation. Iginla has been in my top 5 (I'd love to draft him), I think he'll be an awesome NHLer. I don't think Iginla should go top 5 though, or will, just illustrating my ignorance.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I do this every year it feels like, and every year I'm told the same thing. So I'll ask again lol, if we were to win pick 1, and SJ has picks 3 and 12 in offer, do we trade back?

Celebrini is the best player in the draft, but Demidov, Lindstrom, and Levshunov look like studs. And you know.. Iginla could be a sick add.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I do this every year it feels like, and every year I'm told the same thing. So I'll ask again lol, if we were to win pick 1, and SJ has picks 3 and 12 in offer, do we trade back?

Celebrini is the best player in the draft, but Demidov, Lindstrom, and Levshunov look like studs. And you know.. Iginla could be a sick add.
Keep 1.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

It's time to concentrate talent, not spread it out. I say we keep 1 should we be so fortunate.

Reactions: Jakey53 and lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
If we win 1st overall we gotta keep it.

Last summer we were supposed to win the vote and Bedard. We failed at both. Since we’re the Yotes we had to deal with an extra year of misery and get a downgrade on the player and downgrade the arena location. But now it’s our summer. We paid the price and now it’s our turn.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

3 & 12 isn't enough. SJ adds. I'd ask for 3 and Smith, which they'd decline.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That's closer. Another bigger Russian for the back end. I have no interest in Soderstrom.
Yeah...time to move on from Soderstrom

Never had an elite skill set, except for maybe his brain, but in today's game, if you're small, then you have to be super shifty/quick like Ghost or Maccelli to have an impact.

Soderstraom is neither quick or shifty. Certainly strains heavily under pressure and isn't a great defenders, so someone please tell me why we just wouldn't try to make the best of a bad situation and use him in a trade to move up in the draft for another 1st round pick.

Only if the team felt strongly about moving back up for another 1st.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad