NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
These mock draft sites always make me laugh, Tankathon has Ottawa taking two small RD who are pretty much identical to each other in Parekh & Mews. MyDraft has them taking two forwards in Lindstrom C/LW & Parascak Rw which at the least are decent picks. I assume it's because they rank the prospects & then stick the teams where they are in the standings & pay no attention to team needs or what a scouting department would do but it is funny. NHL LInes has Ott taking Dickenson LD who they don't need, they have Kleven & they have Ott at 16th OA with their next 1st rd pick which makes no sense unless they somehow trade up & taking Jiricek RD who IMO is a very risky pick & not at all as good as his brother.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
These mock draft sites always make me laugh, Tankathon has Ottawa taking two small RD who are pretty much identical to each other in Parekh & Mews. MyDraft has them taking two forwards in Lindstrom C/LW & Parascak Rw which at the least are decent picks. I assume it's because they rank the prospects & then stick the teams where they are in the standings & pay no attention to team needs or what a scouting department would do but it is funny.
It's just a ranking with teams in order of standings, teams just slide into the players where they are ranked

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
These mock draft sites always make me laugh, Tankathon has Ottawa taking two small RD who are pretty much identical to each other in Parekh & Mews. MyDraft has them taking two forwards in Lindstrom C/LW & Parascak Rw which at the least are decent picks. I assume it's because they rank the prospects & then stick the teams where they are in the standings & pay no attention to team needs or what a scouting department would do but it is funny.
Tankathon really isn't a mock draft. No one is picking a player for a team. If they have X ranked 2 , he will go 2 no matter what team is there based on the lottery.

The passive D man reference is to you liking both Chabot and Dickinson who in their end lack intensity and compete. I really don't care for that in a defenseman.

Once playoffs are done and the heavy teams go deep that's what the GM's will remember. Then they will look at the RD depth in the league and realize they are few and far between, especially physical RD that can shoot and move the puck. That's why Yakemchuk will be a top 10 pick.
So Dickinson at 17 is done then.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's just a ranking with teams in order of standings, teams just slide into the players where they are ranked
Yes, I know. These rankings are again all over the place even after Celebrini it's not certain who goes second. If there is ever a yr for need this could be it. RD for example is always in need for most teams & it's a big need for this team this yr.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yes, I know. These rankings are again all over the place even after Celebrini it's not certain who goes second. If there is ever a yr for need this could be it. RD for example is always in need for most teams & it's a big need for this team this yr.
Valuing a RD more than some other positions is not really going for needs though. It's a position of scarcity in the league. Hence the position carries a little more value than a LD.

Just like Cs carry more value than Ws. It's also why goalies hardly ever go top 10 and almost never go top 5 anymore.

Teams will pick the player that has the most value. If the player who projects to have the most value around the league in a few years is a C where we pick, we should take him. It doesn't matter that we already have Stü, Norris, Pinto and Greig.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Valuing a RD more than some other positions is not really going for needs though. It's a position of scarcity in the league. Hence the position carries a little more value than a LD.

Just like Cs carry more value than Ws. It's also why goalies hardly ever go top 10 and almost never go top 5 anymore.

Teams will pick the player that has the most value. If the player who projects to have the most value around the league in a few years is a C where we pick, we should take him. It doesn't matter that we already have Stü, Norris, Pinto and Greig.
Valuing a RD for this team this yr is going for need. Based on where it's likely they will draft I would take Lindstrom C/LW if he is still around or Yakemchuk RD, both would be helpful & both given their size & skillset might be here sooner rather than later.

Reactions: senswon

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Valuing a RD for this team this yr is going for need. Based on where it's likely they will draft I would take Lindstrom C/LW if he is still around or Yakemchuk RD, both would be helpful & both given their size & skillset might be here sooner rather than later.

If this team takes a RD based on need we are in serious trouble. A player like Yakemchuk, Parekh or Levshunov is not going to be an impact top 4 D for a good 3-4 years. By then we could need almost anything and we're going to need a top 4 RD well before they're ready for that role.

Last edited:

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I think it's a little more than that, I tried the draft sim with the mock draft and even though Demidov is ranked 2nd Ottawa picks Levshunov when they pick 2nd.

Edit: Actually read the subtitle on the page...

2024 NHL Mock Draft​

Player Rankings updated about 24 hours ago | Draft Order updated after every game
Some team needs are factored into the mock and simulations.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Lots of Draft Eligibles in this list ^. A couple over agers that might be good picks in the middle rounds if available.

Only one Draft eligible in this group
Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:

1. Calum Ritchie, Oshawa Generals (33)
2. David Goyette, Sudbury Wolves (21)
3. Braeden Kressler, Ottawa 67’s (10)

Western Conference:
1. Zayne Parekh, Saginaw Spirit (25)
2. Denver Barkey, London Knights (20)
3. Hunter Brzustewicz, Kitchener Rangers (19)

A couple here
Best Offensive Defenceman:

Eastern Conference:

1. Ty Nelson, North Bay Battalion (35) – finished 3rd in 2022-23 and 2022-21
2. Henry Mews, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Luca Marrelli, Oshawa Generals (11)

Western Conference:
1. Zayne Parekh, Saginaw Spirit (39)
2. Hunter Brzustewicz, Kitchener Rangers (29)
3. Oliver Bonk, London Knights (11)

Best Defensive Defenceman:

Eastern Conference:

1. Ben Danford, Oshawa Generals (26) - he's a righty
2. Andre Anania, Sudbury Wolves (18)
3. Matthew Mayich, Ottawa 67’s (12)

Western Conference:
1. Matthew Andonovski, Kitchener Rangers (24) - Sens Prospect (2023)
2. Sam Dickinson, London Knights (23)
3. Andrew Gibson, Soo Greyhounds (20)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Lots of Draft Eligibles in this list ^. A couple over agers that might be good picks in the middle rounds if available.

Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:

A couple here

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:
Great job andonovski

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How many "top 10 talents" are in the draft this year?

In 2021, there were 8 or 9 of them. We played our way out of that tier.

How high can we finish in the standings before it becomes annoying?
There’s no “dropoff” like 2021 after the 9.

It’ll be a personal preference on here, and a team preference at the draft.

Personally I like 8 guys a lot, then there’s a group of 5ish guys I’d be fine with.

That’ll be different with everyone you ask, with probably 14 different players.

Lots more flexibility this year in the 7-13 range compared to 2021.

Would still be ideal to get our highest rated guy obviously, the higher the pick the better.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Erm... I'd guess 10?

It's a term like 1C where it doesn't mean in theory what it literally says.

Theoretically, there should be 32 1Cs in the league because there are 32 teams with first lines that have centers. Yet, not every team has what people consider to be a "1C". There might not be 32 centers with a talent level that people consider to be commiserate with a 1C.

Not every draft has 10 top ten talents. Think of the type of player you'd be happy to get in the top 10. Some drafts like 2015 have 15+ of those, other drafts might only have 7 or 8 of them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Surprised a defenseman so passive could be voted 2nd best defensive D in the West ;)
Surprised you havent watched him play a single game but have such strong opinions. Brock Otten has identified it but I guess you know more than him too. You can be a passive defender and still be effective at the CHL level. Its just not going to translate well to the NHL as you can see with 72.

Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:

A couple here

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:

Eastern Conference:

Western Conference:
Danford undrafted and a righty. Might be a good guy to take a late pick flyer on. Maybe the Tarasenko pick they got that so many were upset about and thought they should have just held onto him and got nothing to 'prove a point'.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Surprised you havent watched him play a single game but have such strong opinions. Brock Otten has identified it but I guess you know more than him too. You can be a passive defender and still be effective. Its just not going to translate well to the NHL as you can see with 72.

I've watched him play many games :laugh:

Otten has Dickinson as his top OHL draft eligible and the scouting service (McKeens) that he is Director of Scouting for has Dickinson ranked 2nd behind Celebrini, so like me he clearly thinks that Dickinson is still a very good prospect, despite not using his size enough and being too passive at times.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Danford was noticeably good and composed when I was in Moncton watching the Top Prospects game, was one of the better, albeit quiet, showings.

He was incredibly good in the skating portions of the on ice testing, with and without the puck, I have no clue where he placed but he must have been top 3/5 in both forward and backward with and without the puck.

He's a very, very good prospect who likely outplays his draft slot from the viewings I had that weekend.

Pretty sure Dickinson was 1st or 2nd in all of the skating drills

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Danford was noticeably good and composed when I was in Moncton watching the Top Prospects game, was one of the better, albeit quiet, showings.

He was incredibly good in the skating portions of the on ice testing, with and without the puck, I have no clue where he placed but he must have been top 3/5 in both forward and backward with and without the puck.

He's a very, very good prospect who likely outplays his draft slot from the viewings I had that weekend.

Where in the draft would you be comfortable taking him? Late 1st or is that too high?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Where in the draft would you be comfortable taking him? Late 1st or is that too high?
Just based on the prospects game and Hlinka, as they're the only place I've watched him, he seemed like a late 1st type guy.

I'd be fine if we used either our Boston or own 2nd pick for him, but I'm sure those based on Ontario who watch him a lot more than I do would have a better idea than me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Helenius will likely see his stock jump after being named to the Worlds for Finland.

He's one of those guys that isn't a main stay in people's top 10's who I think is solidly there come draft day.

Had a hell of a season, and even better playoffs.
Little and not an elite skater though. But I did hear from a few scouts he's a very high IQ player. Similar to a Rossi. Not a player I would take in the top 10 but some teams may like that.

Reactions: BondraTime

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Reactions: BondraTime

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If this team takes a RD based on need we are in serious trouble. A player like Yakemchuk, Parekh or Levshunov is not going to be an impact top 4 D for a good 3-4 years. By then we could need almost anything and we're going to need a top 4 RD well before they're ready for that role.
In your previous post you mentioned that RD is a scarcity in the NHL & therefore more valuable. This team needs a top pairing RD, even if it takes him 2 or 3 yrs, this is a young team, he might still help even if he starts on the bottom pairing. He already has NHL size unlike smaller D that need to fill out & he is a late birthday & IMO should be ready much sooner. The video of him above outlines most of what I think about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad