NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert do you know if Dorion ever got in the way of sens drafting? Mann is highly respect but the past couple years have been very lean.

There was that soft rumour that Dorion wanted jarventie
I am not sure about the Jarventie pick. I know his hands were all over the boucher one. But it's not like Mann hated Boucher either. I believe the scouts.had Boucher high but not at 10.

Happy to hear we are seeing a new philosophy away from both Dorion and Mann. I do know Mann really liked Pinto. That's one of his. But overall seems like they have shifted in a direction that I'm not a fan of. Hockey sense while hard to identify is the most important skill.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Anyone can identify skating. This organization has moved away from identifying hockey sense as a primary tool. Dorion certainly did not have that ability. I don't think it was very high on manns list either. It's not an easy thing to pick up on, but some people are capable of it.

Poulin was a very cerebral player, its one thing to see it in a pro that's already in the NHL. It's another to identify it in a prospect. I do think that having played the sport at a high level really helps in identifying this trait. When Poulin was an analyst he was capable of showing it in clips. So I'm really happy he is talking about it. Thats one of the reasons I liked the hire. I hated when I saw people on here saying they just hired another t.v personality. Like all of them are the same... Poulin is way more cerebral than Button or Mcguire for example. Two guys that are just loud, never played and are frankly not very good at evaluating talent or breaking it down.

Speaking of good analysts big fan of Frankie Corrado. Very intelligent hockey mind, he would be a great scout if he ever decided to go that route He breaks down the play really well and articulates it in a way most people can understand. He has some amazing breakdowns on Twitter. If you're looking to educate yourself on the sport I'd encourage you to follow him.

When I log into TSN 1200 I usually listen to the morning clip. They interview one of Pounder, Johnson, Corrado and Dreger. Dreger is useless he says nothing. Don't bother listening to him. The other three are good. In terms of actual relevant content I'd rank them 1. Corrado 2. Johnson 3. Pounder. But all are really really strong.
None of them are good.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I am not sure about the Jarventie pick. I know his hands were all over the boucher one. But it's not like Mann hated Boucher either. I believe the scouts.had Boucher high but not at 10.

Happy to hear we are seeing a new philosophy away from both Dorion and Mann. I do know Mann really liked Pinto. That's one of his. But overall seems like they have shifted in a direction that I'm not a fan of. Hockey sense while hard to identify is the most important skill.
They'd better draft top talent or risky prospects with an unlimited ceiling. Pinto is none of those. Safe stupid pick. He is just a better player then White, Staying away from drafting risky Russians hurt this franchise immensely for more then a decade. Or risky germans as Peterka.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think it's very common for a GM to overrule his scouts, certainly not when it comes to picks on day 2 of the draft.

I'm sure most of them have some input when the team is picking high in the 1st, but way too many people think the GM is hammering the table on draft day to pick certain players when that's not really what they do.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
@bert do you know if Dorion ever got in the way of sens drafting? Mann is highly respect but the past couple years have been very lean.

There was that soft rumour that Dorion wanted jarventie
I remember Trent Mann saying they probably wouldn't have taken Jarventie had the 2020 draft been in June like normal. Since that draft was pushed back to October, the Euro leagues had already started up and Jarventie was hot in Liiga. He moved way up their list as a result.

I don't know how much say Dorion would have had in a day 2 pick like that. Some for sure, but I doubt he had the final word.

Just looks like another example of the Sens putting way too much stock in 'saw him good for a game or two'. Many such cases. That's why they drafted a guy like Ben Roger as well.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They'd better draft top talent or risky prospects with an unlimited ceiling. Pinto is none of those. Safe stupid pick. He is just a better player then White, Staying away from drafting risky Russians hurt this franchise immensely for more then a decade. Or risky germans as Peterka.
Pinto drafted 32nd, sits 15th in his draft class in points, with the least amount of games played of those 15,

he missed 77 games one season and 41 this season.
If you give him 45 points in those 118 games missed, he would sit 6th in draft class. (Jack Hughes draft)

It actually looks like a good pick.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Does iginla have any physicality to his game

He’s 6 feet 185 can put in some weight for sure

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Pinto was drafted 32nd in 2019 and there are at most 5 to 6 players you would chose ahead of him now. Maybe you don't like talented 2 way centres?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I for one would love nothing more if our "safe" draft strategy of the past was abandoned.

Pinto has been good, but every other safe pick-Lazar, White, Boucher-has busted.

Peterka was not a risky German. Jarventie was a risky Fin. And we selected him.

Reactions: LiseL and Sensators

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Does iginla have any physicality to his game

He’s 6 feet 185 can put in some weight for sure
He does have physicality in his game. Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but I'll attach my scouting report of him. Even if my opinion is worthless, I'd like to think the video portion is at least somewhat useful, helpful, or interesting to someone.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
He does have physicality in his game. Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but I'll attach my scouting report of him. Even if my opinion is worthless, I'd like to think the video portion is at least somewhat useful, helpful, or interesting to someone.

The way he is playing in the playoffs. He may be out of reach if we pick 6 or 7. He is my favorite player in this draft class. I am not saying he is the best after Celibrini. I just love his overall package of size(I think he gets bigger)/skill/speed, blood lines, late season progression and age. Having a Tkachuk and an Iginla on the team and having Keith and Jarome walking around building would be pretty cool.

Reactions: LiseL and ijif

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I watched some Silayev. I am a believer. 6 ft 7 better skating Zub.

The amount of leg movements Silayev and Lindstrom are able to get in their strides for their size is seriously impressive.

Both are certainly gone before our pick. :/

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I watched some Silayev. I am a believer. 6 ft 7 better skating Zub.

The amount of leg movements Silayev and Lindstrom are able to get in their strides for their size is seriously impressive.

Both are certainly gone before our pick. :/
There may be a serious run in d me. But I don’t think lidstrom gets passed the Habs

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Pinto drafted 32nd, sits 15th in his draft class in points, with the least amount of games played of those 15,

he missed 77 games one season and 41 this season.
If you give him 45 points in those 118 games missed, he would sit 6th in draft class. (Jack Hughes draft)

It actually looks like a good pick.

Yeah. This organization has made some horrendous picks/decisions in the last little bit but Pinto is a terrible example to use.

If you get a solid 2nd line C, or even a 3rd line C, in the second round you've done very well.

Reactions: DrEasy

R2010

May 23, 2011

I don't believe what Dorion has to say about much so take it with a grain of salt. But he did say in interviews that he wasn't as involved with 2021 as usual and it was implied he wasn't happy about the draft.

I don't believe what Dorion has to say about much so take it with a grain of salt. But he did say in interviews that he wasn't as involved with 2021 as usual and it was implied he wasn't happy about the draft.
Also consider how defensive Mann got when questioned about Boucher. Every time he got his back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad