PA
IMG_0286.jpeg

“He is a bit of a psycho”

IMG_0287.gif

Well, looks like I found my guy lol

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I wonder if the Rangers will be among those teams...one bad apple/top 10 pick bust from a few years ago is not a reason to not scout Russian players if an opportunity arises.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Some very early thoughts about the 2024 draft.

This is my understanding of the draft order. Please correct me if you find that I made an error.

The conference finalists will draft 29-32 depending on the outcome of the conference and Stanley cup series. Except for lottery results the other 28 teams will draft in the order of their points.

If the Rangers do not beat Carolina and do not make the conference finals the Rangers would have the most points of any of the remaining 28 teams and would draft 28. If the Rangers beat Carolina and do not win the conference playoffs the Rangers would draft 30 because the Rangers would have more points than the other team that would not win the conference finals.

So barring a trade the Rangers would have either picks 28, 30, 31, or 32.

There's been some talk about whether the Rangers would keep the pick or trade down to get more picks. That would depend on whose available at the Rangers pick and the Rangers view of other lower picks.

There are 9 teams with 2 or more picks in round 2 with several of those teams having multiple picks in round 3. There also are two other teams with two or more picks in round 3. So there are several possible targets if the Rangers went to trade town.

Several draft value charts have been developed. I looked at one developed by the Athletic.

It shows the value of the possible Rangers picks as follows:

28 -- 3.1
30 -- 2.9
31 -- 2.8
32 -- 2.7

I looked at a few teams to see if I could get a match between the value of the Rangers pick and the other teams' available picks. This is not a comprehensive list of possibilities or a suggestion of which mteams might be more interested in trading up but a sample to get an idea of what might be possible.

Arizona/Utah has picks 38, 63 and 70 with the value of each pick as follows:

38 -- 2.2
63 -- 1.1
70 -- .9

38 and 63 add up to a little more than the value of the Rangers pick but 38 and 70 are getting closer. 38 and 70 are high picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Nashville has picks 53 and 55. The value of each pick is as follows:

53 -- 1.4
55 -- 1.4

So these two mid 2nd round picks are in the range of the value of the Rangers pick.

Finally Anaheim has 35, 65 and 78. The value of those picks are as follows:

35 -- 2.4
65 -- 1
78 -- .7

35 and 65 seems to be a little high but 35 and 78 could be in the range of the value of the Rangers pick.

It looks like if the Rangers trade down the team could get a 2nd or 3rd, or two mid round seconds or a higher second and a lower round draft pick.

I'm not making any predictions. I just wanted to get a sense of what a trade down might look like.

Reactions: ecemleafs

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Some very early thoughts about the 2024 draft.

This is my understanding of the draft order. Please correct me if you find that I made an error.

The conference finalists will draft 29-32 depending on the outcome of the conference and Stanley cup series. Except for lottery results the other 28 teams will draft in the order of their points.
Not exactly. Your conclusions are correct, but the way it works is a bit different.

Division winners are slotted between 25 and 28 unless they reach the conference finals. Since the Rangers have the most points out of the division winners, they will get the 28th pick if they lose in the 2nd round, regardless of what other teams do.

Vancouver won their division, but had less points than Carolina, who did not. If both teams fail to reach the conference finals, Carolina will pick before Vancouver despite having more points.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we moved down with our hopefully 32nd pick to pick up two picks we should keep in mind Jesse Pulkkinen---he's an overager (I believe) who was a key player for 4th place Finland at the WJC.....so Finland didn't medal but they did get in the medal round. But he's a monster LD--6'6 220(?)lbs. who has pretty decent skills but he also loves to use his size. His play can get goofy at times but really he's like 19. It's not like anyone in a draft is ever really a finished product at that point even the No. 1 overalls.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If we moved down with our hopefully 32nd pick to pick up two picks we should keep in mind Jesse Pulkkinen---he's an overager (I believe) who was a key player for 4th place Finland at the WJC.....so Finland didn't medal but they did get in the medal round. But he's a monster LD--6'6 220(?)lbs. who has pretty decent skills but he also loves to use his size. His play can get goofy at times but really he's like 19. It's not like anyone in a draft is ever really a finished product at that point even the No. 1 overalls.
i'm pretty sure if 1 overalls don't put up 85 points they're complete busts forever.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Connelly is kind of an exceptional talent. To me though if he's dropping into the 28 to 32 range where we're going to be that signals that a lot of other teams do have concerns that this guy really needs to work or work harder on his behavior because he shouldn't go past 15. What I've seen we're not talking Mitchell Miller here though where you have a kid who made it his mission in life to systematically bully a disabled kid for years and years.....and then never even apologized like the court ordered them to do.....never took any responsibility for years (and still hasn't) for all the shit he caused even apparently misleading the Bruins into thinking he had.

And this is the thing with Connelly---if it's a one time thing and if he's shown remorse---taken responsibility for his actions that's completely different from Miller. I wouldn't crucify a 16 year old for doing something stupid if he rectifies and doesn't repeat it.

Personally I would hope he's gone before our pick comes and the whole thing will be moot or at least for us.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Connelly is kind of an exceptional talent. To me though if he's dropping into the 28 to 32 range where we're going to be that signals that a lot of other teams do have concerns that this guy really needs to work or work harder on his behavior because he shouldn't go past 15. What I've seen we're not talking Mitchell Miller here though where you have a kid who made it his mission in life to systematically bully a disabled kid for years and years.....and then never even apologized like the court ordered them to do.....never took any responsibility for years (and still hasn't) for all the shit he caused even apparently misleading the Bruins into thinking he had.

And this is the thing with Connelly---if it's a one time thing and if he's shown remorse---taken responsibility for his actions that's completely different from Miller. I wouldn't crucify a 16 year old for doing something stupid if he rectifies and doesn't repeat it.

Personally I would hope he's gone before our pick comes and the whole thing will be moot or at least for us.
The reason I wrote what I wrote re: Connelly is because NHL teams have recently shown a heightened PR sensitivity in these sorts of cases. There were two recently IIRC dealing with a kid drafted by Montreal (bullying and...homophobia?) and a kid with the Bruins. Montreal I believe stuck with their draftee while Boston cut the cord.

So I can't see how this kid sails through as a first round pick, at least not in today's environment. The Blackhawks situation really put a charge into the League's social sensitivity, and with good reason. It's going to result in teams asking questions long after they've fired the gun (or were reluctant to pull the trigger, depending on your perspective) but I don't think it's gonna change any time soon.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The reason I wrote what I wrote re: Connelly is because NHL teams have recently shown a heightened PR sensitivity in these sorts of cases. There were two recently IIRC dealing with a kid drafted by Montreal (bullying and...homophobia?) and a kid with the Bruins. Montreal I believe stuck with their draftee while Boston cut the cord.

So I can't see how this kid sails through as a first round pick, at least not in today's environment. The Blackhawks situation really put a charge into the League's social sensitivity, and with good reason. It's going to result in teams asking questions long after they've fired the gun (or were reluctant to pull the trigger, depending on your perspective) but I don't think it's gonna change any time soon.
Mitchell Miller was the talented defenseman who for years and years bullied a developmentally challenged black classmate. Beat him up, made him lick things that were in the toilet, racial slurs, all kinds of truly horrible things. Arizona drafted him. Right after that, the kid and his family basically said Miller never apologized or ever took responsibility for his actions. Arizona was killed by everyone for picking him and apparently not doing their homework. They renounced his rights. A couple years later Boston signed him, faced the same backlash, apologized, and then released him.

Logan Mailloux was the other. He was a teen playing in Sweden during the pandemic and shared a picture of a woman (18) giving him a bl**j** with other people and also shared all of her personal information. He was charged in Sweden and I think got off with paying fines. The Canadiens drafted him and have stuck by him since then. The NHL cleared him to play like a month ago and he played in their last regular season game.

Miller, I don't know that the NHL is ever going to clear him. He plays in Russia now, and honestly he may never even try to come back. And good f***ing riddance, as that guy is scum.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There is some difference here.....the two things I've heard with Connelly were the business with the swastika thing he posted that he quickly deleted. The other was he was accused of a racial slur against a black player. The first happened and that's why this is being debated. The second was looked at and he was cleared on. He apologized almost right away for the swastika business and seems to have shown remorse and has been doing community service ever since. What's kind of important also at least to me is there is no particular for real person that he victimized.

Miller did bully the disabled black kid and not once or twice....it was a years long mission of his and he's never really shown any remorse, nor has he done what the courts told him to do.....so pretty much f*** that guy. Mailloux also victimized this girl he had sex with. The reason he's gotten a second chance is he made at least some attempt to show remorse and I think generally speaking most people who know about it think he's a complete assclown but it doesn't quite reach the level of Miller's depravity.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
There is some difference here.....the two things I've heard with Connelly were the business with the swastika thing he posted that he quickly deleted. The other was he was accused of a racial slur against a black player. The first happened and that's why this is being debated. The second was looked at and he was cleared on. He apologized almost right away for the swastika business and seems to have shown remorse and has been doing community service ever since. What's kind of important also at least to me is there is no particular for real person that he victimized.

Miller did bully the disabled black kid and not once or twice....it was a years long mission of his and he's never really shown any remorse, nor has he done what the courts told him to do.....so pretty much f*** that guy. Mailloux also victimized this girl he had sex with. The reason he's gotten a second chance is he made at least some attempt to show remorse and I think generally speaking most people who know about it think he's a complete assclown but it doesn't quite reach the level of Miller's depravity.
Yeah I got you. I'm wary of the NHL throwing the baby out with the bathwater though. On second look this kid looks like an elevated version of Tony D.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah I got you. I'm wary of the NHL throwing the baby out with the bathwater though. On second look this kid looks like an elevated version of Tony D.

I think part of the problem with Tony is his upbringing. His family. Whether or how much that might be an issue with Connelly maybe needs looking at. The other thing though is we're talking about a 17/18 year old and some stupid thing he did when he was 16(?). Kids get into trouble or do stupid shit but it doesn't mean they can't learn to be better. It's just too soon and not right to give up someone that young and especially for something that really didn't harm another person. It's a bad look that you don't want to see but it's not something that isn't correctable.

I will say that a lot of young hockey players act like spoiled brats. These days it costs a lot of money to play and the more competitive the more it costs and parents are very often well to do. I think too often some of these kids have a real sense of entitlement. That's something that usually fixes itself when they go college and/or pro.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I think part of the problem with Tony is his upbringing. His family. Whether or how much that might be an issue with Connelly maybe needs looking at. The other thing though is we're talking about a 17/18 year old and some stupid thing he did when he was 16(?). Kids get into trouble or do stupid shit but it doesn't mean they can't learn to be better. It's just too soon and not right to give up someone that young and especially for something that really didn't harm another person. It's a bad look that you don't want to see but it's not something that isn't correctable.

I will say that a lot of young hockey players act like spoiled brats. These days it costs a lot of money to play and the more competitive the more it costs and parents are very often well to do. I think too often some of these kids have a real sense of entitlement. That's something that usually fixes itself when they go college and/or pro.

as far as connelly, i haven't seen anything from him that would concern me beyond his definitely being a kid you want to do some extra homework on. in most cases, this stuff is simply immaturity that gets way more attention than it needs to because of who it involves. most people are idiots at that age, myself very much included...maybe even driving the damn bus. there's risk with any pick, but assuming the kids not a sociopath, if you have as much confidence as you can have with an 18 yr old that he's committed to a hockey career, he'll grow out of it or a locker room will beat it out of him. easy way or the hard way....people learn actions have consequences - whether it's crossing lines, attitude, or the way you treat people. like you said, there's a ton of ego's in youth hockey, and some are enabled by parents/coaches far beyond where they should be. i was around a lot of them, and it's funny looking back at the guys who went the furthest...and why some you would have expected to didn't. it's definitely not a "young hockey players" thing though. it's a elite young athletes in every sport, boys and girls. i mean it's honestly inevitable...it's kids growing up. kids test limits. the kids aren't the problem, it's the adults who enable them. too many parents try to prepare the path for their kids and not enough realize the job is preparing them for the path.

as far as tony - and this is in general about the way he's characterized not a response to you...the narrative around him and the labels incompetent people tag him with is so far beyond insane. i mean on the one hand...just about everyone in every locker room he's been in loves the kid. he's still close with quite a few players on the rangers. marc staal stuck his neck out to vouch for him. he's extremely well thought of in the south jersey hockey community and has volunteered a ton of time helping out youth teams / players. he's been engaged in every local community he's played in.

call me crazy but that tells me a hell of a lot more about a person than what miserable people on the internet who have an incessant need to find people who've been more successful than them that they can claim moral superiority over say. oh a teenage mistake or committing the sin of not sharing the same political views? must be the antichrist. people like that always seem to have extremely high expectations of everyone but themselves.

Reactions: Rempe73

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
as far as tony - and this is in general about the way he's characterized not a response to you...the narrative around him and the labels incompetent people tag him with is so far beyond insane. i mean on the one hand...just about everyone in every locker room he's been in loves the kid.

This is . . . a take of all time. I don't care if some people like the guy. He's caused utter chaos on two teams (in juniors and in NY). He was suspended multiple times for his actions. Why the f*** are you carrying water for the scumbag? What a bizarre take. I can't fathom what about him makes you want to defend him. What, you think his "psychology counseling classes" he took really changed who he is as a person? Come on.

Typical long leash some of these clowns get from people like you. Just wild.

And you chalking this up as others being jealous or wanting to be "morally superior" is f***ing disgusting but not unexpected. Typical bullshit projection from that side of things.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
as far as tony - and this is in general about the way he's characterized not a response to you...the narrative around him and the labels incompetent people tag him with is so far beyond insane. i mean on the one hand...just about everyone in every locker room he's been in loves the kid. he's still close with quite a few players on the rangers. marc staal stuck his neck out to vouch for him. he's extremely well thought of in the south jersey hockey community and has volunteered a ton of time helping out youth teams / players. he's been engaged in every local community he's played in.
True. He’s an asshole on the ice for sure and a competitor. And a little too hotheaded still.

But yes he’s also done a ton of great stuff off the ice. I remember he once bought pizza for the whole nursing staff at a hospital during covid. His sister posted it on Twitter bc Tony wouldn’t.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
True. He’s an asshole on the ice for sure and a competitor. And a little too hotheaded still.

But yes he’s also done a ton of great stuff off the ice. I remember he once bought pizza for the whole nursing staff at a hospital during covid. His sister posted it on Twitter bc Tony wouldn’t.

yea this whole obsession people have with anointing themselves as the paragons of virtue who scour the world for accusations against a person that violates their arbitrary and selectively applied personal expectations for others. i legit loathe people so totally incapable of self awareness that, as they go on their crusade to find people who don't meet their expectations, it never even crosses their mind to consider having any expectations for themselves. a good place to start might be expecting their judgements of others to at least be damn well informed. if people want to go around telling others how messy their home is....theirs better be immaculate.

Reactions: Rempe73

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad