Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
If I’m reading capfriendly correctly, Drury has 45 players under contract for 24/25 already.
Gustafsson, Roslovic, Wennberg, Wheeler and Rulwedel all UFA’s.
3 of those 5 will need to be filled leaving 2 contracts.
Maybe Drury has earmarked those 3 NHL openings and the 2 AHL openings with pending UFA’s?
I took a look at Cap Friendly and I came up with different numbers.

The Rangers have signed 37 players for next year. The two goalies, 4 defensemen and 10 forwards on the team now, plus Chytil on LTIR (17 total) and 4 goalies, 4 defensemen, and 12 forwards in the minors now (total 20).

They have 8 RFAs: Lindgren, Scheneder and Kakko on the team now and five in the minors, Lindbolm, Hallowell, Robertson, Trivigno and Henriksson. Barring trades they'll qualify the hree Rangers and I would think Hallowell. I don't see Lindbolm (no place for Lindbolm to play in the system and Trivigno (scratched for 21 of 68 games plus long list of forwards) being qualified and Robertson and Henriksson might be qualified.

Assuming 6 are qualified that takes us to 43.

There are 7 UFAs: Ruhwedel, Gustafsson, Wennberg and Roslovic on the Rangers and Broulliard, Pitlick and Petan in the minors. The Rangers won't be able to afford any of the four on the team and I don't see Pitlick coming back. The other two are maybes.

Probably everyone will disagree with my assumptions on RFAs and UFAs.

Of the kids that have to be signed it seems unlikely that Barbasheve and Tarmnstrom get NHL contracts. I think Roebroeck likely gets signed.

But that leaves a few contracts with the Rangers needing more defensemen, and center prospects and possibly a cheap vet to replace Wheeler on RW. There still are a couple of defensemen and centers who are college free agents who have gotten some buzz. Will see if the Rangers go after any.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I took a look at Cap Friendly and I came up with different numbers.

The Rangers have signed 37 players for next year. The two goalies, 4 defensemen and 10 forwards on the team now, plus Chytil on LTIR (17 total) and 4 goalies, 4 defensemen, and 12 forwards in the minors now (total 20).

They have 8 RFAs: Lindgren, Scheneder and Kakko on the team now and five in the minors, Lindbolm, Hallowell, Robertson, Trivigno and Henriksson. Barring trades they'll qualify the hree Rangers and I would think Hallowell. I don't see Lindbolm (no place for Lindbolm to play in the system and Trivigno (scratched for 21 of 68 games plus long list of forwards) being qualified and Robertson and Henriksson might be qualified.

Assuming 6 are qualified that takes us to 43.

There are 7 UFAs: Ruhwedel, Gustafsson, Wennberg and Roslovic on the Rangers and Broulliard, Pitlick and Petan in the minors. The Rangers won't be able to afford any of the four on the team and I don't see Pitlick coming back. The other two are maybes.

Probably everyone will disagree with my assumptions on RFAs and UFAs.

Of the kids that have to be signed it seems unlikely that Barbasheve and Tarmnstrom get NHL contracts. I think Roebroeck likely gets signed.

But that leaves a few contracts with the Rangers needing more defensemen, and center prospects and possibly a cheap vet to replace Wheeler on RW. There still are a couple of defensemen and centers who are college free agents who have gotten some buzz. Will see if the Rangers go after any.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. My confusion was in the 2024/25 year.
Players like Trivigno for example. I knew he hadn’t been offered a contract yet the way I was reading it (mistakingly) that the RFA symbol was denoting that it would be Bobby’s last year under his current contract.
I repeated that mistake with all the players in my count.

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
  1. San Jose Sharks: Macklin Celebrini, C, Boston University (NCAA)
  2. Chicago Blackhawks: Artyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State University (NCAA)
  3. Anaheim Ducks: Cole Eiserman, F, USNTDP
  4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Cayden Lindstrom, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)
  5. Montreal Canadiens: Ivan Demidov, F, SKA-1946 (MHL)
  6. Arizona Coyotes: Sam Dickinson, LD, London (OHL)
  7. Ottawa Senators: Zayne Parekh, RD, Saginaw (OHL)
  8. Calgary Flames: Carter Yakemchuk, RD, Calgary (WHL)
  9. Seattle Kraken: Berkly Catton, F, Spokane (WHL)
  10. Buffalo Sabres Zeev Buium, D, University of Denver (NCAA)
  11. New Jersey Devils: Anton Silayev, D, Torpedo (KHL)
  12. Philadelphia Flyers: Tij Iginla, F, Kelowna (WHL)
  13. Washington Capitals: Konsta Helenius, F, Tappara (Liiga)
  14. Minnesota Wild: Adam Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Czechia)
  15. San Jose Sharks (From Pittsburgh Penguins) Liam Greentree, F, Windsor (OHL)
  16. St. Louis Blues: Igor Chernyshov, F, MHK Dynamo Moskova (MHL)
  17. Detroit Red Wings: Ryder Ritchie, F, Prince Albert (WHL)
  18. New York Islanders: Michael Brandsegg-Nygård, F, Mora IK (HockeyAllsvenskan)
  19. Vegas Golden Knights: Sacha Boisvert, F, Muskegon (USHL)
  20. Los Angeles Kings: Michael Hage, F, Chicago (USHL)
  21. Chicago Blackhawks (From Tampa Bay Lightning): Andrew Basha, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)
  22. Nashville Predators: Aron Kiviharju, D, HIFK (Liiga)
  23. Toronto Maple Leafs: Beckett Sennecke, F, Oshawa (OHL)
  24. Anaheim Ducks (From Edmonton Oilers): Charlie Elick, D, Brandon (WHL)
  25. Montreal Canadians (From Winnipeg Jets): Cole Hutson, D, Boston University (NCAA)
  26. Philadelphia Flyers (From Florida Panthers): Nikita Artamonov, F, Torpedo (KHL)
  27. Colorado Avalanche: Maxim Masse, F, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
  28. Calgary Flames (From Vancouver Canucks): Emil Hemming, F, TPS (Liiga)
  29. Carolina Hurricanes: Dean Letourneau, F, St. Andrew's College (U18 AAA)
  30. Dallas Stars: Henry Mews, D, Ottawa (OHL)
  31. Ottawa Senators (From Boston Bruins): Cole Beaudoin, F, Barrie (OHL)
  32. New York Rangers: Jett Luchanko, F, Guelph (OHL)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the draft falls like that I’d much prefer Badinka or Freij. Not sure this front office goes to Europe but I think those two would be where I would go. I think Freij higher ceiling but Badinka more of a Rangers pick. Who knows though

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
who are the players who could refuse sign with their draft team this summer, and then come to NYR?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
who are the players who could refuse sign with their draft team this summer, and then come to NYR?

The 2 that I think would be good targets are Bryce Brodzinski and Eamon Powell.

Below is a full list of NCAA players whose rights expire in August if they're not signed (according to Capfriendly):

Bryce Brodzinski (PHI)
Jack Perbix (ANA)
Ben Meehan (LAK)
Alex Young (SJS)
Chase Yoder (PIT)
Colby Ambrosio (COL)
Ryder Donovan (VGK)
Carter Berger (FLA)
Owen Lindmark (FLA)
Cole Brady (DAL)
Carson Bantle (ARI)
Noah Beck (STL)
Alexander Campbell (NSH)
Chase Luke (NSH)
Luke Reid (NSH)
Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (NSH)
Ethan Haider (NSH)
Jack Malone (VAN)
Nick Capone (TBL)
Eamon Powell (TBL)
Mckade Webster (TBL)
Matthew Thiessen (VAN)
Blake Biondi (MTL)
Artem Shlaine (NJD)
Cooper Moore (DET)
Ryan O'Reilly (DET)
Dominic Basse (CHI)
Liam Gorman (CHI)
Connor Kelley (CHI)
Quinn Olson (BOS)
Alex Jeffries (NYI)
Jacob Truscott (VAN)
Jake Boltmann (CGY)
Harrison Blaisdell (WPG)
Logan Neaton (WPG)
Mike Koster (TOR)
Ville Miettinen (TOR)
Cade Webber (TOR)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Trade back. Especially if the Rangers win the cup. Pick up 2 seconds. They need Defense and this draft is extremely defense heavy. The difference between a Dman taken towards the end of the first isn't that much different from players that could go in the middle of the 2nd.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The 2 that I think would be good targets are Bryce Brodzinski and Eamon Powell.

Below is a full list of NCAA players whose rights expire in August if they're not signed (according to Capfriendly):

Bryce Brodzinski (PHI)
Jack Perbix (ANA)
Ben Meehan (LAK)
Alex Young (SJS)
Chase Yoder (PIT)
Colby Ambrosio (COL)
Ryder Donovan (VGK)
Carter Berger (FLA)
Owen Lindmark (FLA)
Cole Brady (DAL)
Carson Bantle (ARI)
Noah Beck (STL)
Alexander Campbell (NSH)
Chase Luke (NSH)
Luke Reid (NSH)
Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (NSH)
Ethan Haider (NSH)
Jack Malone (VAN)
Nick Capone (TBL)
Eamon Powell (TBL)
Mckade Webster (TBL)
Matthew Thiessen (VAN)
Blake Biondi (MTL)
Artem Shlaine (NJD)
Cooper Moore (DET)
Ryan O'Reilly (DET)
Dominic Basse (CHI)
Liam Gorman (CHI)
Connor Kelley (CHI)
Quinn Olson (BOS)
Alex Jeffries (NYI)
Jacob Truscott (VAN)
Jake Boltmann (CGY)
Harrison Blaisdell (WPG)
Logan Neaton (WPG)
Mike Koster (TOR)
Ville Miettinen (TOR)
Cade Webber (TOR)
Thanks for the list.

A couple of updates.

Cade Webber, BU defenseman, has signed with Toronto.
Blake Biondi, Minn-Duluth defenseman, went into transfer portal and transferred to Notre Dame.
Alex Jeffries, Merrimac wing, signed an ATO with Bridgeport and is expected to sign with the Islanders.
Artem Schlain, Northern Michigan center, entered the transfer portal.
Alex Campbell, Northeastern wing, singed with Nashville's AHL affiliate, Milwaukee.

The only prospect I've heard said that they won't sign with their drafted team is Jacob Truscott, left defenseman of Michigan, a Vancouver draft choice. Canucks not expected to sign Jacob Truscott: What it means for their prospect plans

Brodzinski sticks out because his three older brothers have been in the Ranger organization, Johnny with NHL contract, Easton, with AHL contract and Mike with PTO with Hartford. But he is a winger and Hartford is loaded with young wings and also have Belzille and Blidh under contract. Yes a couple might make the Rangers but I'm not sure he is an organization fit.

Powell plays right defense and the Rangers, through Hartford, just signed two NCAA right defenseman.

Organizationally, I think the Rangers might look for a center or a left defenseman.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for the list.

A couple of updates.

Cade Webber, BU defenseman, has signed with Toronto.
Blake Biondi, Minn-Duluth defenseman, went into transfer portal and transferred to Notre Dame.
Alex Jeffries, Merrimac wing, signed an ATO with Bridgeport and is expected to sign with the Islanders.
Artem Schlain, Northern Michigan center, entered the transfer portal.
Alex Campbell, Northeastern wing, singed with Nashville's AHL affiliate, Milwaukee.

The only prospect I've heard said that they won't sign with their drafted team is Jacob Truscott, left defenseman of Michigan, a Vancouver draft choice. Canucks not expected to sign Jacob Truscott: What it means for their prospect plans

Brodzinski sticks out because his three older brothers have been in the Ranger organization, Johnny with NHL contract, Easton, with AHL contract and Mike with PTO with Hartford. But he is a winger and Hartford is loaded with young wings and also have Belzille and Blidh under contract. Yes a couple might make the Rangers but I'm not sure he is an organization fit.

Powell plays right defense and the Rangers, through Hartford, just signed two NCAA right defenseman.

Organizationally, I think the Rangers might look for a center or a left defenseman.

We could use a winger in Hartford because we will see 2 or 3 wingers currently down there make the roster next season or be traded away. Brodzinski is a good target.

Eamon Powell is a bit of a personal favourite, and I think he can still be a very useful addition for Hartford, with Mancini playing both sides.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
We could use a winger in Hartford because we will see 2 or 3 wingers currently down there make the roster next season or be traded away. Brodzinski is a good target.

Eamon Powell is a bit of a personal favourite, and I think he can still be a very useful addition for Hartford, with Mancini playing both sides.
Not against the individual players but that the organizational weakness for next year, particularly in Hartford, is center not wing and having recently signed two right defensemen they might be focused on a young left handed defenseman.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not against the individual players but that the organizational weakness for next year, particularly in Hartford, is center not wing and having recently signed two right defensemen they might be focused on a young left handed defenseman.

Othmann is not playing in Hartford next year. He's either in New York, or somewhere else in the NHL.

Berard and Edström are more likely in the NHL than in the AHL as well. That's 3 wingers they are losing.

Trivigno is most likely gone. I don't see him getting even a QO. Pitlick and Petan are unlikely to stay. Väisänen isn't AHL eligible.

That leaves: Chmelař, Sýkora, Blidh and Belzile. Maybe Berard is in the AHL. That gives them 5 wingers.

The Wolf Pack could absolutely use a winger.

Meanwhile, at center they have Nash, Korczak, McConnell-Barker and Leschyshyn with Henriksson being a possible option if he gets a QO/extension. And that doesn't even include Dylan Roobroeck who is most definitely getting an ELC and is AHL eligible.

On defense they have LHDs Harpur, Mackey and Scanlin under contract.

The only 2 RHDs under contract for next season is Vittorio Mancini and Case McCarthy (AHL). Mac Hollowell is RFA. He could stay, but there's absolutely a need for a RHD still.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Othmann is not playing in Hartford next year. He's either in New York, or somewhere else in the NHL.

Berard and Edström are more likely in the NHL than in the AHL as well. That's 3 wingers they are losing.

upon what are you basing this, a more recent zoom call?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

Trivigno is most likely gone. I don't see him getting even a QO. Pitlick and Petan are unlikely to stay. Väisänen isn't AHL eligible.

That leaves: Chmelař, Sýkora, Blidh and Belzile. Maybe Berard is in the AHL. That gives them 5 wingers.

The Wolf Pack could absolutely use a winger.

Meanwhile, at center they have Nash, Korczak, McConnell-Barker and Leschyshyn with Henriksson being a possible option if he gets a QO/extension. And that doesn't even include Dylan Roobroeck who is most definitely getting an ELC and is AHL eligible.

On defense they have LHDs Harpur, Mackey and Scanlin under contract.

The only 2 RHDs under contract for next season is Vittorio Mancini and Case McCarthy (AHL). Mac Hollowell is RFA. He could stay, but there's absolutely a need for a RHD still.
Again I'm not against the players you've suggested but believe they may not address organization needs.

Right Defense

The Rangers/Hartford also have Ryan Siedem signed to a two year AHL deal as with McCarthy. Siedem played at Harvard through the 2023 season, went to Rangers development camp that summer and then played this past year at Notre Dame. I remember him getting some notice about being one of the better NCAA prospects after the 2023 season.

So that gives the Rangers organization three first year right handed defensemen. Will the Rangers want to bring in a fourth?

Hallowell is an RFA and I'm sure the Rangers will want to keep him as he was one of the few players on the team that drive offense. He tied for first in the AH this season in assists.

Finally, I would estimate that Brandon Scanlin played over 3/4 of his games the past two years at right defense.

Left Defense

The Rangers do have Mackay, Harpur and Scanlin signed for next year. But it's possible that one of the three winds up as the Rangers seventh defensemen next year. And all three have to go through waivers next season. The Rangers have lost two defensemen, Jared Tinordi and Ty Emberson, to waivers in the last two years. Fortescue is in the wings but he's in the organization no earlier that 25-26. We don't know if Kempf will be signed. And Larsson is years away even if he makes it.

Despite my complaints about Robertson I think he's qualified just because the team needs bodies and he's an adequate AHL defenseman.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers sign another young LD either to an NHL or AHL contract.

Center

Yes Hartford has Nash, Leschyschyn and Korczak at center with the option of bringing back Henriksson. And as someone who has watched a fair amount of Hartford over the last few years this is not a good group. I like Nash as an AHL player. But Leschyschyn is not much different in the AHL than he was in the NHL, not very good. Korczak was in his first pro year but his D+3 year because he was sent back for an overage year. The results this year were not encouraging. Only 11 assists as a center in 65 games. Most of the times I saw him play he was invisible. Korczak was moved to wing for some games at the end of the year and I think that may be a better position for him. Henriksson was a disappointment to me. Although he didn't score that much last year he was creative and I thought maybe given more time he might improve. 17 points in 70 games last year to 23 points in 65 games this year. And I saw fewer examples of the creativity that I saw last year. He will be 24 this upcoming season. I don't know if he will be qualified or events wants to stay in NA.

If the Rangers plan is to have BMB and Roebroeck play center for Hartford next year I'm fine with trying that. But the team may have that start off at wing rather than center. And the center play at Hartford this year after Brodzinski was recalled and Nash got hurt was not something I'd like to see again next year. And other than Laba, there is nothing else in the pipeline. TJ Hughes of Michigan and Carter King of Denver are some highly thought of free agent possibilities.

Wing

I agree that 2-3 of the kids probably play with the Rangers. But you left out Rempe in your list and the possibility that Korczak moves to wing. And I'm not sure why you think Othmann is not coming back. He had a good but not outstanding year this year and while he could make the Rangers, if he does he takes one of the 2-3 spots of the young kids playing with the Rangers. So Hartford could have for its eight starting wing positions some combination of Berard, Othmann, Korczak, Sykora, Belzile, Blidh, Edstrom, Rempe, Chmelar filling 6-7 spots. I don't see Trivgno coming back so and I think the Rangers sign another AHL vet to replace Brodzinski. So the Rangers could bring in another kid but the team might need to move on a wing soon to lock them up rather than waiting for August 15. But I agree Brodzinski is a possibility.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It's shit like this that chased Edge away.
Yeah, while it’s reasonable to politely ask how someone knows something, some people just get hostile if what’s being said is not in line with whatever the narrative of the day is. I seriously don’t know why it’s so hard to just be f***ing cordial and not be a f***in punisher. Especially to established posters who really do try to contribute positively to the conversation.
You and I have disagreed plenty over the last few years (I like to think I’ve always been respectful while doing so), and I’d definitely miss you if you felt driven away.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, while it’s reasonable to politely ask how someone knows something, some people just get hostile if what’s being said is not in line with whatever the narrative of the day is. I seriously don’t know why it’s so hard to just be f***ing cordial and not be a f***in punisher. Especially to established posters who really do try to contribute positively to the conversation.
You and I have disagreed plenty over the last few years (I like to think I’ve always been respectful while doing so), and I’d definitely miss you if you felt driven away.

Yeah. We don't have to agree on everything to have a conversation. That's what good conversations are all about. And sure, it can get a bit feisty at times but that's all in the spirit of a good hockey debate.

Not too long ago, I took a break from HFNYR because I was just sick and tired of all the questioning, second guessing and it came at a time where I had some stuff going on in my private life as well.

I don't feel the need to abandon this platform, but it does at times get exhausting with especially the tone from certain people.

Over the years I have formed connections with players, some of whom are currently on the Rangers roster, coaches, family members of said players, and even some people in the Rangers/MSG organisation. At junior tournaments, at drafts, even at games or while travelling for road games.

I share what I can, and always in agreement with whoever tells me that specific part. I can't however disclose who, and when, and where and how I got every little bit of info. That's simply not how things work.

I'd like to think that over the years I've built up enough credit and I have also been very open and transparent about how I form connections. I've written over 50 prospect interviews where I directly interacted with the player who was covered.

I know there's a subsection of the fan base that refuses to believe things unless it comes from a beat writer, and that's just how it is, I guess. I've gotten used to it. I am not sharing info for validation. I share stuff when I can, to add to a conversation. To inform this part of the fan base about certain things that aren't known elsewhere.

If people refuse to believe it, that's perfectly fine but as I said, the way it's often done, and how things are portrayed, is what led to well-respected members like Edge to just leave and never come back. Which is a shame.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I share what I can, and always in agreement with whoever tells me that specific part. I can't however disclose who, and when, and where and how I got every little bit of info. That's simply not how things work.

I'd like to think that over the years I've built up enough credit and I have also been very open and transparent about how I form connections. I've written over 50 prospect interviews where I directly interacted with the player who was covered.
Of course. If you are told something and asked not to out the source, it’s right that you don’t. It’s something that should be obvious.

And yes, it’s been clear over the years that you do make an effort to go to all sorts of games and events and engage with people. I, for one, don’t have the time or patience to do what you have done.

Appreciate you, bud.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Othmann is not playing in Hartford next year. He's either in New York, or somewhere else in the NHL. Berard and Edström are more likely in the NHL than in the AHL as well. That's 3 wingers they are losing.
The only 2 RHDs under contract for next season is Vittorio Mancini and Case McCarthy (AHL). Mac Hollowell is RFA.
Respect your efforts and opinion but the idea that 3 promising young Fs wont return to AHL, after their 1st full NA pro season, hits me as unlikely and unprecedented

Re RHD, 2 comments:
Siedem signed 2 year AHL deal out of NCAA just like McCarthy
Hollowell is already 25, only a few NHL games, so it seems he will be Group 6 UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad