2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

StrawHatEklund

Apr 16, 2024
San Jose
Tankathon out of 10 times, I get (3x 1 st), (3x 2nd), and (4x 3rd).

So the Sharks are getting 3rd overall Zeev Buium is the Sharks 1st round pick this year!

Just did 5 and got (3 x 1st) and (2x 3rd). Celebrini or Buium. I’m cool with either. I think we take a D prospect with the Penguins pick too whether we get Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov or Buium.

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I just want the Pens to miss the playoffs and, if we get very lucky, give us the 12th pick. 12th + 1-3 is going to be quite a haul and I think we can luck into a couple of good players with our 2nds.

Obviously, Celebrini is the crown jewel but yeah getting Levshunov/Lindstrom + Iginla/Parekh would be amazing too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m holding out hope Yakemchuk will be there at the Pens pick. I still wouldn’t be shocked to see a GM grab him in the top-10 because he’s a 6’3” Canadian RHD, but the have yet to actually see him ranked in the top-10 anywhere. Hell, Trevor Connolly and Michael Hage are ranked higher by Central Scouting.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Us fans are hoping we'll get either Demidov or Buium. What if Grier picks Lindstrom or Lev? Will that make us feel deflated? Should we trade down 4th or 5th and still get our man?
The thing to remember is that while us fans may have a group of 3-4 guys they’d be equally okay with (mild spoiler for my final ranking, but those four guys make up my second tier assuming Lindstrom’s health isn’t going to be a problem moving forward), NHL teams don’t usually think that way. I would be extremely shocked if we traded down from #2.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Us fans are hoping we'll get either Demidov or Buium. What if Grier picks Lindstrom or Lev? Will that make us feel deflated? Should we trade down 4th or 5th and still get our man?
Anyone hoping for Demidov or Buium WITH A TOP THREE PICK does not understand how to value prospects.

This is the single most valuable asset the franchise has held since 1997 and you want to waste it on a one-dimensional Russian winger who may never come over or an undersized offensive defenseman?

They're both terrific prospects, don't get me wrong. But there are different standards when picking this high. Grier definitely understands this so I'm not worried.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Anyone hoping for Demidov or Buium WITH A TOP THREE PICK does not understand how to value prospects.

This is the single most valuable asset the franchise has held since 1997 and you want to waste it on a one-dimensional Russian winger who may never come over or an undersized offensive defenseman?

They're both terrific prospects, don't get me wrong. But there are different standards when picking this high. Grier definitely understands this so I'm not worried.
Buium is the same size as or bigger than some of the best defensemen in the world. Fox, Hughes, Makar, Morrissey, etc. If you’ve seen Buium play and don’t see the upside or whatever, but to discount him purely because he’s 6’0” instead of 6’2” is insane. As I recall, you were intrigued by Buium when you thought he was 6’2”.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
There's a few scenarios which I'd be excited about (please don't roast me too hard):

Scenario A: 1st overall
Celebrini
Trade 13 +33 for 8ish, take Parekh
Freij or Sahlin Wallenius

Scenario B: not 1st
Levshunov (because I know they wouldn't take Parekh this high)
Trade 13 + 33 for 8ish, take Catton or Lindstrom

Scenario C: f*** it all offense, not 1st
Demidov
Trade 13 +33 for 8ish, take Parekh

Nightmare scenario:
Dickinson/Silayev
Greentree
Fire GMMG

Buium is the same size as or bigger than some of the best defensemen in the world. Fox, Hughes, Makar, Morrissey, etc. If you’ve seen Buium play and don’t see the upside or whatever, but to discount him purely because he’s 6’0” instead of 6’2” is insane. As I recall, you were intrigued by Buium when you thought he was 6’2”.
I wasn't solely watching him too much, but he was frustrating Cutter Gauthier all night.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm still intrigued by Buium but not at 2nd or 3rd overall. That would be insane. Buium's skating isn't remotely on par with Hughes or Makar and I don't rate Morrissey or Fox particularly highly. I don't think anyone is winning a Cup with either of those two as their 1D.

One of the easiest things in the league is to go out and get a scoring winger or offense-only defenseman. When drafting this high you need to get the type of player who's essentially impossible to acquire through other means. Otherwise what was the point of sitting through this terrible season?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm still intrigued by Buium but not at 2nd or 3rd overall. That would be insane. Buium's skating isn't remotely on par with Hughes or Makar and I don't rate Morrissey or Fox particularly highly. I don't think anyone is winning a Cup with either of those two as their 1D.

One of the easiest things in the league is to go out and get a scoring winger or offense-only defenseman. When drafting this high you need to get the type of player who's essentially impossible to acquire through other means. Otherwise what was the point of sitting through this terrible season?
Other than Celebrini, which other prospect/s do you consider have that upside? I was super high on Lindstrom but the injuries scare me and I’m not sure how to feel about Levshunov.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Other than Celebrini, which other prospect/s do you consider have that upside? I was super high on Lindstrom but the injuries scare me and I’m not sure how to feel about Levshunov.
I won't pretend I've scouted any of these guys but based on size, production and rarity of traits I think Levshunov as a potential top pair two-way right shot dman and Lindstrom as a potential power forward 1C have the highest upside after Mack. Lindstrom's back injury is of course a huge concern and should be studied closely by our medical staff before the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad