2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Win the lottery, trade the Vegas+PIT picks to move up and take Buium, prosper
Why would you want to trade an unprotected 1st from a team that is in major cap trouble?

If things go right next season we could potentially have 2 top 5 picks.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Chicago owns Tampa's #1, currently at #20. What if we get #2 pick post lottery and Chicago is at #3 or #4 and offers us their pick + Tampa's to move up?

That way we get: #4, around #14, around #20:

#4 Zeev (he should still be available at #4, we don't need #2 to draft him)
~#14 Iginla or Helenius or whatever D slips
#20 anyone else slipping

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Why would you want to trade an unprotected 1st from a team that is in major cap trouble?

I think it will actually be cheaper to move up (our second round pick), unless we really are trying to move into the top 5. That said, I would bet the farm that Vegas is a playoff team next year

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Chicago owns Tampa's #1, currently at #20. What if we get #2 pick post lottery and Chicago is at #3 or #4 and offers us their pick + Tampa's to move up?

That way we get: #4, around #14, around #20:

#4 Zeev (he should still be available at #4, we don't need #2 to draft him)
~#14 Iginla or Helenius or whatever D slips
#20 anyone else slipping
I think it just depends on how much conviction the scouting staff has on any of the players. If they have conviction on Zeev and think they can trade down and still get him, then great. If instead they have conviction on Demidov, Lev, Silayev, or Dickinson, then even if it's a noisy tier below Celebrini, you pick the player you want to build your team around.

In the abstract, based on this trade value chart, #2 for #3 and #20ish is a positive value trade, so it's not insane but the team trading up (in this case CHI) would have to really love the player to want to do it.
Do you actually think Vegas falls off that much next season? I just don’t see it.

I am guessing they'll find a way to reload, not as a top 10 team but as a constant annoyance as they are now. But there's definitely a world in which they miss the playoffs. I don't see them being bottom 10 though.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Do you actually think Vegas falls off that much next season? I just don’t see it.
Yes i do see them fall off a cliff, they need to find close to 10 million in cap space just to build a full roster. And that was with Stone in LTIR which he will be coming off soon. Going to be close to 20 if he stays on the roster to start the season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who are people targeting with our 2 seconds?
There’s an interesting group of D that’ll go in the 20-45 range and I’d probably target two of them: Jiricek, Elick, Emery, Badinka, Brunicke, Kiviharju, Hutson, Danford, Freij, Pulkkinen, Mews, etc.

There’s also some good energy forwards in that area that would be alright picks.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There’s an interesting group of D that’ll go in the 20-45 range and I’d probably target two of them: Jiricek, Elick, Emery, Badinka, Brunicke, Kiviharju, Hutson, Danford, Freij, Pulkkinen, Mews, etc.

There’s also some good energy forwards in that area that would be alright picks.

Kiviharju is interesting to me because if he recovers okay from his injury, he could be a big get (a Musty-like “can’t believe he dropped” situation). On the other hand, knee injuries freak me out.

If he drops to one of our 2nds though, feels like a no brainer.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Do you know much about Galvas? Seems like there's an argument that he's been better than Jiricek at the Czech men's level but he's pretty small.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kiviharju is interesting to me because if he recovers okay from his injury, he could be a big get (a Musty-like “can’t believe he dropped” situation). On the other hand, knee injuries freak me out.

If he drops to one of our 2nds though, feels like a no brainer.
Depends who is available. I think they’re’ll be better options at 33, but at 43 I think he’s worth the risk. It seems like he might be healthy enough to play U18, so I’ll be super interested how he does if so. It will impact his draft rankings quite a bit I imagine.

Do you know much about Galvas? Seems like there's an argument that he's been better than Jiricek at the Czech men's level but he's pretty small.
Feels like another Havelid type to me. I almost included him in that list because he’s not that far off of the Kiviharju/Mews/Hutson group. Wouldn’t be my preference at 43 I don’t think. If I’m remembering correctly, I want to say I liked him at last year’s U18 a little.

My ideal first two rounds would be something like (1) Celebrini, (12) Yakemchuk/Parekh/Silayev, (33) Elick, (43) Kiviharju.

I’ve wondered lately if Sam Dickinson could possibly fall out of the top-10. Other than size and skating he doesn’t really stand out all that much even at the junior level. Really depends on how risk-adverse the GMs in the top-10 are, as I think he’s got the lowest upside of the consensus top-6 D. That said I’d obviously sprint to the stage if he were there at the Pens pick.

Btw the name of this thread is kind questionable. There are so many things that rhyme with ‘Zeev’. Could have done ‘Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev’ or ‘Risk That The Sharks Leave, End Up With Zeev’ or ‘Winning’s My Peeve, Give Me Zeev’ or anything else. :laugh:

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Depends who is available. I think they’re’ll be better options at 33, but at 43 I think he’s worth the risk. It seems like he might be healthy enough to play U18, so I’ll be super interested how he does if so. It will impact his draft rankings quite a bit I imagine.

Feels like another Havelid type to me. I almost included him in that list because he’s not that far off of the Kiviharju/Mews/Hutson group. Wouldn’t be my preference at 43 I don’t think. If I’m remembering correctly, I want to say I liked him at last year’s U18 a little.

My ideal first two rounds would be something like (1) Celebrini, (12) Yakemchuk/Parekh/Silayev, (33) Elick, (43) Kiviharju.

I’ve wondered lately if Sam Dickinson could possibly fall out of the top-10. Other than size and skating he doesn’t really stand out all that much even at the junior level. Really depends on how risk-adverse the GMs in the top-10 are, as I think he’s got the lowest upside of the consensus top-6 D. That said I’d obviously sprint to the stage if he were there at the Pens pick.

Btw the name of this thread is kind questionable. There are so many things that rhyme with ‘Zeev’. Could have done ‘Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev’ or ‘Risk That The Sharks Leave, End Up With Zeev’ or ‘Winning’s My Peeve, Give Me Zeev’ or anything else. :laugh:
Done! To honor you as a key contributor to the draft threads over the years!

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Ok so I fully expect us to explode if we pick 1OA and pick Celebrini and say Grier picked the wrong guy.

Let’s make HF go bonkers
GMMG: "We're like a family here. Any player that joins the Sharks, we view it as their entire family, including their father, also joins as part of a package deal. That's all I have to say about this. Moving forward, I'll only answer questions about how excited we are about being able to draft Dean Letourneau at #1."

• Wow
Reactions: Shark Finn

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

It’s not hard to lottery protect the traded pick. Make it top 5 or 10 protected. Then it would have to be Sharks unprotected in 26 but that would mean 2 top 5 or 10 picks for the Sharks next year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It’s not hard to lottery protect the traded pick. Make it top 5 or 10 protected. Then it would have to be Sharks unprotected in 26 but that would mean 2 top 5 or 10 picks for the Sharks next year.
The Vegas pick is an unprotected 1st in 2025. There is absolutely zero chance i trade that until next season is over, makes absolutely zero sense to trade a pick that could still end up being a 1st overall or also could be 32nd also.

You don't trade a 1st round pick to move up in a draft a year before that draft is to happen.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
This prospect's description seems too good to be around No 40

No. 40: Dean Letourneau, C, St. Andrew’s College
Height: 6-foot-6, 210 pounds

Forwards who have the kind of size Letourneau does, who can also skate, score and push back physically, are attractive prospects. His numbers offensively at the Prep AAA level (61G-66A) combined with the Prep Hockey Conference (17G-16A), jump off the page. I’m hoping he gets a call from Hockey Canada to be part of the U18 team in Finland. The opportunity to see him play at a higher level amongst several draft eligible counterparts will allow me to better project his upside. Letourneau is a Boston College commit, but he isn’t scheduled to enter school until the 2025-26 season. His rights are owned by Sioux City in the USHL where he is likely to play one full year next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad