NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm going to have a stroke if they give him 40+ million.
I wouldn't let the salary worry you. It's the cost of a starting QB these days with the cap flying up into orbit.

The worry should be how long they lock in. The Daniel Jones contract is a good example of one that was flashy for the numbers a pedestrian QB got, but it was also really only a two year deal because it was much cheaper for the Giants to get out of than other recent non-superstar QB contacts (Kyler, Dak, Carr, Hurts). If their commitment is only a couple more seasons, that's not too bad to see if he gets better.

Reactions: LT

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn't let the salary worry you. It's the cost of a starting QB these days with the cap flying up into orbit.

The worry should be how long they lock in. The Daniel Jones contract is a good example of one that was flashy for the numbers a pedestrian QB got, but it was also really only a two year deal because it was much cheaper for the Giants to get out of than other recent non-superstar QB contacts (Kyler, Dak, Carr, Hurts). If their commitment is only a couple more seasons, that's not too bad to see if he gets better.
Cost of doing business. Carr got $70 mill over 2 years basically. Jones $82 mill over 2.
Tua has his 5th year option, but to lessen the impact of a new deal down the line (and get out earlier), they can sign a new deal in the offseason and can prorate the signing bonus beginning in 2024.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cox bailed them out of spots with Carter hitting a wall and Davis eating his way off the field

Reactions: Mrfenn92

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s most likely an estate. Does he have a family?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
looks like 3 daughters and 10 grandkids, so there are plenty of options, as well as a possibility for a Springer Show fight for control
So long as the kids are amicable on a plan of succession, it can remain in the family. Denver, it didn't because the last owner had kids from 2 marriages, and ultimately, they couldn't agree on who would lead the franchise, thus it was sold.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Screenshot_20240117_161559_Facebook.jpg

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Man Fletcher Cox was so f***ing good in his prime. I remember when Dallas had 3 all pros on the OL and he would just devour them

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Raw physical skills are there. At that size, that's a WR or a DB.

Has good hands. Seriously elusive for a guy his size too.

Question is - beyond route memorisation and mastery - how well he's going to do with tracking the ball in the air and those combat catches. It's not like he's done none of that in rugby, but it's a different type of thing and he's not one of those guys who's really feted for his high ball ability iirc.

That's the difference between him being a gadget receiver used on sweeps and screens and returns and being a real player.

I presume that some of the appeal is that at his age, he can go back if it doesn’t work. Not sure how many of these rugby guys went into the Pathway and went back.

He'd make the same money on a rookie contract as he would as one of the game's bigger stars in rugby, more or less, while probably playing less games.

Honestly in a way I hope this doesn't work out as rugby doesn't need more of its best looking at the NFL and going "hang on". Although it would be one way for the NFL to find a lot more linebacker talent in a hurry...

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Man Fletcher Cox was so f***ing good in his prime. I remember when Dallas had 3 all pros on the OL and he would just devour them
The opposite scenario was when Larry Allen would devour all-pro defensive linemen

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Has good hands. Seriously elusive for a guy his size too.

Question is - beyond route memorisation and mastery - how well he's going to do with tracking the ball in the air and those combat catches. It's not like he's done none of that in rugby, but it's a different type of thing and he's not one of those guys who's really feted for his high ball ability iirc.

That's the difference between him being a gadget receiver used on sweeps and screens and returns and being a real player.

He'd make the same money on a rookie contract as he would as one of the game's bigger stars in rugby, more or less, while probably playing less games.

Honestly in a way I hope this doesn't work out as rugby doesn't need more of its best looking at the NFL and going "hang on". Although it would be one way for the NFL to find a lot more linebacker talent in a hurry...

sounds like a ST demon/return guy to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad