NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like there are 4 top 10 QBs with Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix Jr.

Could see teams make moves around the QBs and OTs.

Giants at 6. MetLife turf with Penix's 2 ACLs is a scary thought. One of the 2 top OT will be there at 6 but they've drafted a 1st round OT in both 2020 and 2022, with a C in round 2 in 2023. Even with Neal playing badly, I doubt they go back to it. WR is a need, but who's throwing that guy the ball?

ATL at 8, is in an interesting spot. Would need to trade up with LAC at 5 to get in front of the Giants to get Penix Jr. But for LA, could very well mean passing up the OTs as I think TEN would take one at 7. Would they look at WR or DE if the OTs are gone? Williams and Allen are big cap hits and QJ hasn't been great this season. Mack may be a cap casualty as well.

If ATL trades ahead of the Giants, then maybe the Giants trade back to the Jets at 10 to allow them to grab an OT and get extra draft capital. Jets don't have their #2 this year and I don't think a #3 round pick is enough.

Giants do this because they settle of a either Nabers or Odunze at WR at 10.

Bears, figure they go WR at 9.

Curious to where the highly rated Brock Bowers TE goes. Think Indy & Jax make sense to help Richardson and Lawrence. Seattle, I see going Defence, (but more likely to trade back since they moved their #2 pick).

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If the G-Men & Titans keep their 6-7 picks I'd go OT. Alt and the kid from Penn St.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’ll just put this here.

Trevor Lawrence has to be among the biggest failures of this season.

Last offseason plenty of people talked how this will be his true breakout season and he’ll be seen as a top5 QB moving forward.

Woof

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ll just put this here.

Trevor Lawrence has to be among the biggest failures of this season.

Last offseason plenty of people talked how this will be his true breakout season and he’ll be seen as a top5 QB moving forward.

Woof
Jaguars season went into the toilet when he got hurt, but he is definitely on the clock next year.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jaguars season went into the toilet when he got hurt, but he is definitely on the clock next year.
Jags are picking up the 5th year option, but shouldn't be in a hurry to get him signed to a long term contract. Going to have to let the 4th year play out. Need to see it before you commit.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

You gonna flush Nathanial Hackett and Allen Lazard yourself, Mr. Most Inspirational award winner orrrrrrr?

f*** this guy with a rusty halberd. I actually liked him when he was in Green Bay but it's pretty obvious the problem in Aaron Rodgers life is Aaron Rodgers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You gonna flush Nathanial Hackett and Allen Lazard yourself, Mr. Most Inspirational award winner orrrrrrr?

f*** this guy with a rusty halberd. I actually liked him when he was in Green Bay but it's pretty obvious the problem in Aaron Rodgers life is Aaron Rodgers.

1704735843930.gif

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah he was hurt but not once has he looked like he belongs in the same tier as Mahomes/Burrow/Jackson/Allen.

They were just winning, but without really the offense dominating and through all of his career he’s had lot of questionable moments

Does he ever listen to what he says?

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully they teared a lesson from the Giants & Danny Jones.
Jones was a free agent cause they didn’t pick up the option which was the right call. Messed up I’m not tagging jones vs give Barkley a contract similar to what Taylor got in Indy. Basically a 2 year deal based on the guaranteed money. Better than giving Jones $82 mill, and Barkley $12 mill. Jones for like $35 mill and Barkley for like $26 mill. See if Jones can repeat it.

Jax needs Lawrence to figure it out.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

This guy brought in Nathanial Hackett because he was 'his boy'. He brought in Allan Lazard because he needed a new long term contract and Rodgers recruited him to 'stretch the field'. He brought in Randall Cobb because he 'was his guy' for a decade.

All 3 didn't do shit once Rodgers went down, Lazard was a healthy scratch, Cobb was just doing cardio out there and Hackett was just there cause Rodgers needed his boy to get a job.

Rodgers should f***ing know the New York media does not play around, both the Jets and Giants each year get the media treatment but since he went to the Jets, whom by the way are still living off of Super Bowl 3...they've been the glamour team.

He cannot control the media and narrative like he did in Green Bay, a full year of Jordan Love and they are in the playoffs.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thinking with Winston's actions, I don't think we see him on an NFL roster next season. Doubt the other 31 GMs and HCs want someone who goes rogue.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thinking with Winston's actions, I don't think we see him on an NFL roster next season. Doubt the other 31 GMs and HCs want someone who goes rogue.
He’ll be Denver’s backup next season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’ll be Denver’s backup next season.
Honestly, I think that's his only shot. Arians is retired. Koetter last coached in college in 2022 at Boise State. Lovie Smith is now done after this year in Houston in 2022. OCs were Koetter, Monken and Leftwich.

Guess it also depends on how close Payton still is to the NO staff. If he's on good terms with them, he may support them and not sign Winston. Depends on what Denver does at QB this off-season.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

f***ING PREEEACH

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Honestly, I think that's his only shot. Arians is retired. Koetter last coached in college in 2022 at Boise State. Lovie Smith is now done after this year in Houston in 2022. OCs were Koetter, Monken and Leftwich.

Guess it also depends on how close Payton still is to the NO staff. If he's on good terms with them, he may support them and not sign Winston. Depends on what Denver does at QB this off-season.
No way , he gets a job as soon as someone gets hurt. He starts games next season .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Under the circumstances of the past week or so, best for the show to have a break from ARod and get out of the spotlight.

As for McAfee's show, I only catch the youtube clips of it and it has its moments for me. Still surprised he took the ESPN deal vs remain independent. But, I get that he didn't want to do the behind the scenes work, even though with the money he was getting, could have hired people to do it. But, guess with all of the other stuff he does for ESPN, like college gameday, WWE, and stuff, he just didn't want to take any more time away from his young family.

But, IMO that does come with a price when you go corporate. Have to accept that. He was either naive or foolish to believe his show could remain 100% as it was. A small percentage of either his content or delivery would have to change.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rodgers beef with Kimmel was probably a bridge too far for even guys like McAfee to put him on air.

You put him on air, he spouts off some dumb shit and suddenly you're now liable for slander because you gave him a platform for it.
Given the coverage, it was also becoming the Aaron Rodgers Show with AJ Hawk, hosted by Pat McAfee.

I don’t know that he usually doesn’t stop when the regular season is over though.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Not really surprising considering Rodgers was hurt all season and didn't have much actual football to discuss, which lead to the conversations being more about the silly conspiracy stuff Rodgers spends all of his free time consuming.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

BuT tHe TuRnOvErS

Turnovers aren’t the reason he isn’t getting the MVP he should. McDermott’s defense blowing FOUR leads in the last few minutes of games is. The Bills were 15-2 when Josh Allen walked off the field. Turnovers and all. Allen repeatedly came from behind to take late leads…and the defense blew a bunch of them to end up 11-6.

No player came close to accounting for this percentage of his teams scores this year. Lamar was like….53 percent. Allen was EIGHTY SIX

Reactions: LT and TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad