2024 Draft - Overagers to watch

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Made this thread last year, and I am seeing some interesting players for this draft too.

A few interesting players:

Jesse Pulkkinen at eliteprospects.com - 6'6" defenseman with 23 pts in 15 games in U20

Svante Sjödin at eliteprospects.com - Was youngest player eligible for last year's draft. 21 pts in 18 J20 games. Saw a clip of him and looks like a ++ skater.

Anthony Romani at eliteprospects.com - Center playing big minutes with 15 pts in 10 games for North Bay so far. Recently named OHL player of the week.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Yegor Klimovich - still small, but added some extra speed, has looked good in his first KHL games

Dmitri Vlasenko - one of the most skilled players in the MHL, breaking into the VHL.

Radel Zamaltdinov - missed a lot of his DY with injury, playing full time VHL already, plays a very chaotic brand of hockey that probably doesn't lead to much draft value, but a fun player regardless.

Mikhail Grass - big, producing in the KHL, plays with some drafted prospects so likely has eyes on him (I don't think he is any good, though)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Harrison Meneghin - 6'3 goalie that should have been taken last year. 2.04 GAA with a 937 SV%. Will be in the running for a spot on the WJC team.

Nate Misskey - 6'3 199lb right handed D. Overlooked last season because a lack of production. Has 14 pts in 11 games on a resurgent Royals team.

Ondrej Becher - soon to be 20 year old. Leading the WHL with 27 pts in 12 games.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Some overagers I like who haven't been named

Mazden Leslie - Defenseman who should have been taken last year. Good offensive defenseman with decent size who surprised a few going undrafted for unknown reasons.

Charlie Cerrato - Got overshadowed playing in the NTDP but has had a strong early season in the USHL for Youngstown. Recent Penn State commit after flipping from Michigan.

Tanner Adams - Another US player I thought shouldve been taken but wasn't. Hardworking and advanced forward with bottom-six potential who's already in the NCAA for Providence.

Isac Hedqvist - Nifty offensive forward who looked good in Leafs Dev Camp. Liked him going into the draft but size was a concern, but EP has him up from 5'9 to 5'11 which likely a few months earlier would've gotten him taken in June.

Lukas Matecha - 6'3 Goalie from Czechia who looked a bit raw in the Czech U20 league, who's gotten off to a strong start in the WHL for Tri-City

Alexei Noskov - Raw Russian Goalie but the quickness and athleticism is there. Does not play on a top team in the MHL with Taifun but has the ability to play at a higher level. (Revised, original post said his team was AKM Tula)

Some other names I like include Logan Wormald (who would've been mentioned had he not recently been out due to an appendectomy), Ben Robertson, Jan Spunar & Cole Burbidge

Last edited:

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
Hudson Thornton OFD who had a break out last year and is continuing it this season is still flying under the radar

Vasili Atanasov. I believe is on last year of eligibility and is absolutely torching the KHL. Reports are he is a very complete 200ft player and in good graces of Larianov. Silayev on Torpedo too.

Alexander Hellnemo was ranked #1 EU goalie for 2023 draft but having a rough start to this year. Still plenty of time to turn it around, but he was looking pretty decent last season.

Ondrej Becher is taking WHL by storm so far.

Few more I am missing but its late and brain is tired. I'll edit them in tomorrow.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Goalies are always tough to project in terms of being drafted.

Magnitogorsk's Ilya Nabokov is eligible as a 2003-born player.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Hudson Thornton OFD who had a break out last year and is continuing it this season is still flying under the radar

Vasili Atanasov. I believe is on last year of eligibility and is absolutely torching the KHL. Reports are he is a very complete 200ft player and in good graces of Larianov. Silayev on Torpedo too.

Alexander Hellnemo was ranked #1 EU goalie for 2023 draft but having a rough start to this year. Still plenty of time to turn it around, but he was looking pretty decent last season.

Ondrej Becher is taking WHL by storm so far.

Few more I am missing but its late and brain is tired. I'll edit them in tomorrow.
Atanasov is no longer draft eligible

Reactions: barriers

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Yegor Klimovich - still small, but added some extra speed, has looked good in his first KHL games

Dmitri Vlasenko - one of the most skilled players in the MHL, breaking into the VHL.

Radel Zamaltdinov - missed a lot of his DY with injury, playing full time VHL already, plays a very chaotic brand of hockey that probably doesn't lead to much draft value, but a fun player regardless.

Mikhail Grass - big, producing in the KHL, plays with some drafted prospects so likely has eyes on him (I don't think he is any good, though)
Nikita Surayev - the only re-entry from Russia given a grade (W) by central scouting, not sure why he was given a grade.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some overagers I like who haven't been named

Mazden Leslie - Defenseman who should have been taken last year. Good offensive defenseman with decent size who surprised a few going undrafted for unknown reasons.

Charlie Cerrato - Got overshadowed playing in the NTDP but has had a strong early season in the USHL for Youngstown. Recent Penn State commit after flipping from Michigan.

Tanner Adams - Another US player I thought shouldve been taken but wasn't. Hardworking and advanced forward with bottom-six potential who's already in the NCAA for Providence.

Isac Hedqvist - Nifty offensive forward who looked good in Leafs Dev Camp. Liked him going into the draft but size was a concern, but EP has him up from 5'9 to 5'11 which likely a few months earlier would've gotten him taken in June.

Lukas Matecha - 6'3 Goalie from Czechia who looked a bit raw in the Czech U20 league, who's gotten off to a strong start in the WHL for Tri-City

Alexei Noskov - Raw Russian Goalie but the quickness and athleticism is there. Does not play on a top team in the MHL with AKM Tula but has the ability to play at a higher level.

Some other names I like include Logan Wormald (who would've been mentioned had he not recently been out due to an appendectomy), Ben Robertson, Jan Spunar & Cole Burbidge
If only it would be AKM lol, but it is the disaster of a team named Typhoon, there is no logical explanation how he is able to keep his stats on a decent level behind that defense.

Reactions: austin63867

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
If only it would be AKM lol, but it is the disaster of a team named Typhoon, there is no logical explanation how he is able to keep his stats on a decent level behind that defense.
Whoops, mistook his team for Kirill Zarubin, another good Goalie on a bad team.

Taifun Primorsky Krai is the right team. If anyone needs any more indication of his talent, here's their Goalie stats. (Gaidukov is 20 and Kotushyonok 16)

Screenshot_20231025-115439_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Caser

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

What about this guy?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gavyn Thoreson is another I think should get drafted. He's like a better Brett Berard. The size is the reason he wasn't drafted last season, despite being 1PPG in the USHL.

Reactions: austin63867

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Harrison Meneghin - 6'3 goalie that should have been taken last year. 2.04 GAA with a 937 SV%. Will be in the running for a spot on the WJC team.

Nate Misskey - 6'3 199lb right handed D. Overlooked last season because a lack of production. Has 14 pts in 11 games on a resurgent Royals team.

Ondrej Becher - soon to be 20 year old. Leading the WHL with 27 pts in 12 games.

Agreed with these and I'd also add Viliam Kmec on that crazy-start PG team, and Tyler Thorpe in Vancouver is off to a great start with 8 goals in 9 games as a 6'4 winger prospect.

Reactions: hellwar9

czech

Feb 23, 2009
I’ll also add the Czechs: Spunar and Melovsky with great chances of being selected, Cibulka, Koci and Petr with less.
...Tichacek was mentioned here. But he probably has no right (03) to be drafted even as an overager?

Reactions: Czechboy

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
Made this thread last year, and I am seeing some interesting players for this draft too.

A few interesting players:

Jesse Pulkkinen at eliteprospects.com - 6'6" defenseman with 23 pts in 15 games in U20

Svante Sjödin at eliteprospects.com - Was youngest player eligible for last year's draft. 21 pts in 18 J20 games. Saw a clip of him and looks like a ++ skater.

Anthony Romani at eliteprospects.com - Center playing big minutes with 15 pts in 10 games for North Bay so far. Recently named OHL player of the week.
Definitely keeping a close eye on Jesse Pulkkinen. Perfect NHL big frame dman at 18 with some soft hands and a new found scoring touch? Looks like a late bloomer who's stock should rise fast if he keeps it up. Definitely jumped up on my overager board.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Definitely keeping a close eye on Jesse Pulkkinen. Perfect NHL big frame dman at 18 with some soft hands and a new found scoring touch? Looks like a late bloomer who's stock should rise fast if he keeps it up. Definitely jumped up on my overager board.
Pulkkinen is definitely on the radar, good call here.

Bumping this thread to see who else is popping through the first half of the season.

I agree with all the WHL names mentioned. I haven't had time to do a world tour on overagers yet, usually cut a lap following the World Juniors (because usually a few pop there for follow up viewings), but I'm always intrigued who is catching the eye of the HF community!

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019

Vladimir Mikhalyov - broke into the KHL recently, 4 points in his first 7 games. Fun, skilled player. Was one of the four MHL players to play in the KHL All-Star Game.

Pavel Moysevich - 6-foot-6 goalie putting up some impressive numbers in the VHL with a shaky team in front of him. Hasn't let in a goal in the KHL through 5 games of limited workload.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad