2024 Draft Discussion

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
1000% were pushovers and this team is full of wimps . Debrincat is one of them and the shortest of them. hes already dissapeared when he was needed the most for long stretches. He'd easily get pushed around in the playoffs

Cant see yzerman extending him when his contracts up unless he explodes for 50 x 3. Eiserman is bigger and like 8 years younger

All I know is as good as it is having 2 way forwards we need to find a few pure elite forwards. Think eiserman might fit that profile. We can use a lindstrom but I think he'll be gone
agree i just dont think eiserman's that player but we're at the same place.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Can sure use a potential 40 goal guy. We need some guys who can be big offensive guys. It's all nice to have good 2 way guys but last time I checked when we won those cups we had high end offensive forwards

Listened a bit to the athletics new podcast where they talked about 2024 class a d said eiseman brings more than his shot and wheeler still considers him one of the best forwards this class. Was a bit distracted and I plan to go back to relisten
Ovechkin also one trick pony, but he also brings a lot of physicality and leadership . If guy , when he can't score could bring something else then great get him . Other wise we could end up with another Zadina or Debrincat

Reactions: wings95

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Ovechkin also one trick pony, but he also brings a lot of physicality and leadership . If guy , when he can't score could bring something else then great get him . Other wise we could end up with another Zadina or Debrincat
Bashing debrincat around here ? You might get forkstabbed

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Give me the guy with the most offensive potential even if he is a bit boom or bust. We need some additional game changers. We have the playoff support forwards in the system or on the team (Kasper, Danielson, Mazur, Ras). I'm totally content with our defense from a young guy perspective (Seider, Ed, Aljo, ASP, Wally, Tuo, etc.) and with Augustine and Cossa both looking great I feel like we are solid in goal.

If a guy falls like Perrault did last year, this is the time to jump all over it. I don't think you can justify taking a dman with our 1st round pick, unless there is a massive upside difference. I qualify this with if Stevie makes a deal for a high end forward and uses some of D-prospects to get it, then I'd be ok drafting a dman.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

You're right. It would be a disaster if we pick what proves to be the third-highest scoring player from this year's Draft. Guys who can produce more points than 98.5 per cent of all the other picks are useless if they are bad defensively. Even if he went straight from Junior to the NHL and had more than 50 points as a rookie, and scored more than 40 goals the next year, he'd probably be the worst guy on your team. And you'd be stuck with him, because no other team would ever want to acquire a guy like that.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You're right. It would be a disaster if we pick what proves to be the third-highest scoring player from this year's Draft. Guys who can produce more points than 98.5 per cent of all the other picks are useless if they are bad defensively. Even if he went straight from Junior to the NHL and had more than 50 points as a rookie, and scored more than 40 goals the next year, he'd probably be the worst guy on your team. And you'd be stuck with him, because no other team would ever want to acquire a guy like that.
Agreed Cat is kind bad example , because his hockey iq and compete level, but his size and speed doesn't help

Reactions: Ulysses31

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Agree - Brandsegg-Nygard seems like he's out of Yzerman central casting...

Since 2022 I've been pretty much reading draft profiles and identifying the guys in our pick range who are rated high in compete level and IQ. I immediately throw out the ones with shit attitudes and bad skating.

Once you realize that's Yzerman and Draper's mindset, it's pretty easy to see who they're going for. I had Kasper in 2022 (Who didn't though, really?) and Danielson was one of my guesses along with Leonard and Willander for 2023. Dvorsky was an obvious no based on the concerns about his skating.

To be fair, I was emphatic that there was no way Detroit would pick ASP because Yzerman hadn't drafted a defender under 6' in the top 3 rounds for nearly a decade. (I believe Deangelo was the last one before ASP) I figured Barlow was an Yzerman/Draper type at #17, and there were tons of rumors around Honzek.

Anyways, point being, from looking at profiles on guys in that range that's why I'm thinking MBN or Chernyshov. Both big wingers (Which we lack) with high compete levels) I suppose Adam Jiricek, but I don't see him any closer to the league than ASP, and it's hard to pick another RHD in the 1st with Seider in the league and ASP impressing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Since 2022 I've been pretty much reading draft profiles and identifying the guys in our pick range who are rated high in compete level and IQ. I immediately throw out the ones with shit attitudes and bad skating.

Once you realize that's Yzerman and Draper's mindset, it's pretty easy to see who they're going for. I had Kasper in 2022 (Who didn't though, really?) and Danielson was one of my guesses along with Leonard and Willander for 2023. Dvorsky was an obvious no based on the concerns about his skating.

To be fair, I was emphatic that there was no way Detroit would pick ASP because Yzerman hadn't drafted a defender under 6' in the top 3 rounds for nearly a decade. (I believe Deangelo was the last one before ASP) I figured Barlow was an Yzerman/Draper type at #17, and there were tons of rumors around Honzek.

Anyways, point being, from looking at profiles on guys in that range that's why I'm thinking MBN or Chernyshov. Both big wingers (Which we lack) with high compete levels) I suppose Adam Jiricek, but I don't see him any closer to the league than ASP, and it's hard to pick another RHD in the 1st with Seider in the league and ASP impressing.
I don't think it's nearly as easy to predict what Yzerman is going to do as you are trying to convince yourself it is.

ASP is a great counter-point to that, as you mentioned. Another would be Raymond.

We have stacked up a bunch of 2 way and competitive forwards with draft pick, I could see them doing the forward version of drafting ASP this year with taking a different kind of player.

Then again, maybe not... we will see.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Depending on where the wings fall this year their pick will be #12 to #18.
NHL Draft Prospects Rankings | NHL.com

Sportsnet's 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: March Edition

This draft is probably the weakest since 2018. Outside of Celebrini and Demidov, how many of these kids ranked in the top 10 would go top 10 in 2023? Or 2021?

If Detroit makes it to the postseason and has the #17 overall there isn't anyone I expect to go here or later in the first round that I would want, to be honest. I would consider moving that pick at the draft to improve the roster in a meaningful way.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

This draft is probably the weakest since 2018. Outside of Celebrini and Demidov, how many of these kids ranked in the top 10 would go top 10 in 2023? Or 2021?

If Detroit makes it to the postseason and has the #17 overall there isn't anyone I expect to go here or later in the first round that I would want, to be honest. I would consider moving that pick at the draft to improve the roster in a meaningful way.
I mean yeah, we can absolutely trade the pick, but if we don't those are the guys I'd expect.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
And that's why I'd rather trade the pick for someone to help the Wings.
I understand that you might not love the draft class, but we can't force anyone to trade us something we actually want for our 1st round pick, which is why simply saying "trade the pick" rings very hollow. If you don't love the options, can you really expect someone else to love them?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's why you target teams on the downturn and or in serious cap trouble to offer the pick to. They have time to wait the 3-5 years for a mid 1st pick in a meh draft. A 1st that has time left to cook becomes attractive to a team that can't afford one of their RFAs and/or doesn't want to commit to a mid/late 20s player if they're intent on tearing it down and/or not ready to compete. See the Wings with Hronek.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I understand that you might not love the draft class, but we can't force anyone to trade us something we actually want for our 1st round pick, which is why simply saying "trade the pick" rings very hollow. If you don't love the options, can you really expect someone else to love them?

Not everyone is going to view the draft the same way. There will be teams that value certain players more highly than we do. And there are no doubt some players Detroit values more than other teams. That said, there's always someone out there rebuilding. Look to those teams for what assets we could take off them.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not everyone is going to view the draft the same way. There will be teams that value certain players more highly than we do. And there are no doubt some players Detroit values more than other teams. That said, there's always someone out there rebuilding. Look to those teams for what assets we could take off them.
So we should trade the pick. What should we talk about now, Honey?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I would definitely consider moving it too. It's (hopefully) the last of our picks that might be worth a meaningful part of a trade.

I will say that I think this draft feels average to me. Last year had: Bedard //empty tier// Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson // ~10 really good prospects
This year has: empty tier //Celebrini//Silayev, Levshunov//~10 really good prospects.

Could we get one of the tail end "really good prospects?" Perhaps. I don't see any of the defenseman lasting. Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Parekh, Yakemchuk, and Buium all seem very likely to be gone. Maybe Jiricek 2.0 lasts until our pick. I think we'd probably take him if so.

Adding the high end shot of Eiserman would be amazing. He has exactly the makeup of a draft day faller haha. I could also see Hage, Iginla or Helenius being available. I'd be pretty happy adding any of them to our prospect pool. Frankly, I don't imagine the Wings would take them though. Unless MBN is there, we'll just take EJ Emery 20 picks before anyone expects him to go and call it a day.

I know the value is off, I don't think Carolina is looking to move him, there'd need to be a lot more moving parts, etc, but let's just imagine this as the basic idea for a trade:
17 OA + Kasper/Danielson for Martin Necas
-some trade like that. Paying our first to turn one of Kasper or Danielson into the realized better/best case scenario would be huge for this team. I'd much prefer that to grabbing a Brady Cleveland wannabe.

• Haha
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd love to grab Helenius, think he would fit in great and he is a guy I see us liking. I don't expect him to make it out of the top 10 though.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would definitely consider moving it too. It's (hopefully) the last of our picks that might be worth a meaningful part of a trade.

I will say that I think this draft feels average to me. Last year had: Bedard //empty tier// Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson // ~10 really good prospects
This year has: empty tier //Celebrini//Silayev, Levshunov//~10 really good prospects.

Could we get one of the tail end "really good prospects?" Perhaps. I don't see any of the defenseman lasting. Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Parekh, Yakemchuk, and Buium all seem very likely to be gone. Maybe Jiricek 2.0 lasts until our pick. I think we'd probably take him if so.

Adding the high end shot of Eiserman would be amazing. He has exactly the makeup of a draft day faller haha. I could also see Hage, Iginla or Helenius being available. I'd be pretty happy adding any of them to our prospect pool. Frankly, I don't imagine the Wings would take them though. Unless MBN is there, we'll just take EJ Emery 20 picks before anyone expects him to go and call it a day.

I know the value is off, I don't think Carolina is looking to move him, there'd need to be a lot more moving parts, etc, but let's just imagine this as the basic idea for a trade:
17 OA + Kasper/Danielson for Martin Necas
-some trade like that. Paying our first to turn one of Kasper or Danielson into the realized better/best case scenario would be huge for this team. I'd much prefer that to grabbing a Brady Cleveland wannabe.
How does that help Carolina given where they are? Their window is now. Why are they trading Necas for draft picks and rookies/AHL players? Does Necas even play center anymore?

I have zero issues taking EJ Emery in the 2nd. I am not sure what your beef is with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad