2024 Draft Discussion

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
This thread should really be heating up now that the boys are in full tank mode. Im just curious why they refuse to do it for a full season. Why not give yourselves a chance at the high-end talent?

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This 2024 draft is so much weaker than 2023 was.

Don't think even if we would fall to 7th worst by losing all the rest of the games (current 72 points would have been 7th worst at last season), I don't think how 2024 7th overall would give us a better prospect than either Pellikka or Danielson was last year.

So, in big picture, Yzerman should just complete some trade at draft time for a proven player, like he did with DeBrincat.

There will be again some people and trade baits wanting out from other organization. And these trades are typically completed at draft time.

Currently BOS 1st is 28th overall. This is what will go to Ottawa, from DeBrincat trade. When compared to 2023 draft, that 28th overall is like a mid 2nd rounder at 2024.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It's a great year for defense. Jiricek, Buium, Kiviharju should be in rang at 15th-ish overall. That's the only silver lining. Greentree and Iginla should also be there if offense is the add.

Reactions: lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think Iginla's kid will probably do some damage in the league. May not be like dad but getting close to it is perfectly fine.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'd definitely target a forward ... Connelly greentree look good ,if someone like jiricek falls and we we like them the we can use gibson etc.. as trade bait

If we miss the playoffs and end up with pick 14th let's say I'm only moving that pick for someone young enough to be here longterm. Debrincat might only be here 4 years and that pick will end up being late 20s

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If we land in the top 15 due to a bad close to the season and then take a LHD, I will lose my mind. And this is coming from someone who said he would never question Yzerman taking a D man with a first round pick.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Iginla's kid will probably do some damage in the league. May not be like dad but getting close to it is perfectly fine.
Probably gone before we pick

If we land in the top 15 due to a bad close to the season and then take a LHD, I will lose my mind. And this is coming from someone who said he would never question Yzerman taking a D man with a first round pick.
It should be best available player regardless and if brother Buium available you grab him

• Wow
Reactions: Detroit Knights

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
It should be best available player regardless and if brother Buium available you grab him
What if for next 10 years, the best available is a LHD at every pick? Do you keep taking them regardless? What if on all our picks for the 2024 draft, the best available is a goalie? We taking 7 goalies and nothing else?

Of course not. GMs like touting that line, and I get why and I get why fans like it. But need always plays a factor, whether teams admit it or not.

We have spend quite a bit of high draft capital over the Yzerman regime on LHD, maybe one more wouldn't hurt, but a high end offensive forward has to be the higher need.

Getting Buium's bro may be worth it, we don't have great success attempting brother combos either. Silly reason, but a concern none the less.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What if for next 10 years, the best available is a LHD at every pick? Do you keep taking them regardless? What if on all our picks for the 2024 draft, the best available is a goalie? We taking 7 goalies and nothing else?

Of course not. GMs like touting that line, and I get why and I get why fans like it. But need always plays a factor, whether teams admit it or not.

We have spend quite a bit of high draft capital over the Yzerman regime on LHD, maybe one more wouldn't hurt, but a high end offensive forward has to be the higher need.

Getting Buium's bro may be worth it, we don't have great success attempting brother combos either. Silly reason, but a concern none the less.
Only Edvinsson potential future top 6, rest is not certain.
Our future looks like this

?- Seider
Edvinsson --ASP
?-?

Raymond -?- Danielson
Berggren - Kasper- ?
? - Veleno - Rasmussen
In my opinion we should get #1 Center and #1 LD

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Only Edvinsson potential future top 6, rest is not certain.
Our future looks like this

?- Seider
Edvinsson --ASP
?-?

Raymond -?- Danielson
Berggren - Kasper- ?
? - Veleno - Rasmussen
In my opinion we should get #1 Center and #1 LD
Now it is a sane look at what we have as a young core. And I don't like it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

In 2023 two of our first four picks were spent on right handed defensemen (ASP and Gibson). Three of the five total we took that year were right handed.

In 2022 the first defensemen we took was right handed (Johansson) who represented half of the defensemen taken that year.

In 2021 We took two lefties in the first two rounds, representing two of the three defensemen we took that year.

In 2020 the lefties absolutely did out number the righties (Wallinder and Sebrango being the highest drafted ones).

In 2019 our first two defensemen drafted (Seider and Tuomisto) were both righties.

I have a hard time arguing that he has disproportionately favored lefties when drafting defensemen. All else being equal I too would prefer a forward but we aren't fixing our current roster with 2024 draft picks and we can't be afraid to take a defensemen over a forward if they are clearly better. Buium and Parekh leave me scratching my head. I am not sold on them but admit they may make me look like an idiot (which is not hard to do).

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Neat mock draft simulator

FC RANK 23
detroit-red-wings.svg

IGINLA TIJ
C
KELOWNA ROCKETS
WHL
6'0”
181 lbs