2024 Draft Discussion

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
what are the thoughts on Trevor Connelly? Had some off-ice stuff two years ago that might be scaring some teams off, but if folks want to draft a high ceiling guy...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
what are the thoughts on Trevor Connelly? Had some off-ice stuff two years ago that might be scaring some teams off, but if folks want to draft a high ceiling guy...
Given the kind of guys we see them bring in, I would be pretty surprised. Yzerman seems to have gone the other direction on this pretty early in Tampa. DeAngelo and Drouin were run off quickly, I know Drouin hasn't been accused of near this same scenario. Heck you can say this applied to when Yzerman was a star player with clout, in terms of he wants no fuss dressing rooms by in large. I mean it is for sure a talent play in terms of Connelly, maybe they do enough character work to go for redemption. I think the kid is a top 10 talent in this draft.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Extremely talented. Very high ceiling.

His draft position will be a test of the system...much like Mailloux.

I know it's not the same accusations, but the repercussions might be similar.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Too much going on with the kid (not just the swastika incident):

He might be worth a shot in the second round or later, but not the first. He's still got a better chance at the NHL than Cleveland. If he falls to the 3rd, I'd definitely do it.

In other news, Mitchell Miller is now playing in the KHL and doing well. What a waste of talent. Imagine going through your entire life knowing you could have been an NHL player if you weren't a complete douchebag, lol.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Too much going on with the kid (not just the swastika incident):

He might be worth a shot in the second round or later, but not the first. He's still got a better chance at the NHL than Cleveland. If he falls to the 3rd, I'd definitely do it.

In other news, Mitchell Miller is now playing in the KHL and doing well. What a waste of talent. Imagine going through your entire life knowing you could have been an NHL player if you weren't a complete douchebag, lol.
I have to know: who is Michell Miller and what did he do?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
How does that help Carolina given where they are? Their window is now. Why are they trading Necas for draft picks and rookies/AHL players? Does Necas even play center anymore?

I have zero issues taking EJ Emery in the 2nd. I am not sure what your beef is with him.
If only I prefaced the trade with "I know they're probably not looking to move him, there'd need to be more moving parts etc" because I know that Carolina probably has no intention of trading Necas and if they did, they'd want a similar player back, which we don't have etc. The idea was to just say "we should look for a trade like this. I'm not sure who is available, but this is the kind of trade that we need to make."

I was implying we take Emery in the first. I don't like the profile of "big defensive D that doesn't score much" in a prospect. I don't really have anything against Emery in particular. I just chose him to as a representative of that player archetype.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I have to know: who is Michell Miller and what did he do?
He was a prospect in the hockey news for the consistent bullying of a (I believe disabled) classmate. Miller only really gave what appeared to be a disingenuous apology after the news started impacting his career. He got drafted, but then there was public outrage and the team (Arizona if I recall correctly) released him.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
He was a prospect in the hockey news for the consistent bullying of a (I believe disabled) classmate. Miller only really gave what appeared to be a disingenuous apology after the news started impacting his career. He got drafted, but then there was public outrage and the team (Arizona if I recall correctly) released him.
Holy crap. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Given the kind of guys we see them bring in, I would be pretty surprised. Yzerman seems to have gone the other direction on this pretty early in Tampa. DeAngelo and Drouin were run off quickly, I know Drouin hasn't been accused of near this same scenario. Heck you can say this applied to when Yzerman was a star player with clout, in terms of he wants no fuss dressing rooms by in large. I mean it is for sure a talent play in terms of Connelly, maybe they do enough character work to go for redemption. I think the kid is a top 10 talent in this draft.
Hard to say, because I don't know enough about the character type concerns to say 'stay away' or not.

Thought he was extremely impressive at the Hlinka though. He has some Zegras or Keller like qualities to his game. Very evident puck skills and playmaking ability.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ESPN (I know...) mock has the Wings taking Liam Greentree. Thoughts on him?
Big, skilled winger.

Brock Otten who covers the OHL is a fan, here one of his write-ups on him:
(there is a also a link to some video clips of him in this write-up with additional commentary)
2. Liam Greentree - Wing - Windsor Spitfires
The newly named captain of the Spits as an 18 year old, I don't see myself moving off Greentree at #2. I went very in-depth on Greentree for McKeen's recently, with a ton of video, so check that out if you want more on him (found here). In a nutshell, Greentree reminds me a lot of Jason Robertson at the same age. Big shot. Great puck protection tendencies. High level of skill and creativity. Great awareness and vision for a power winger. But also a need to improve his quickness and a need to improve the consistency of his two-way game. I think a lot of Greentree's skating deficiencies can be fixed with an emphasis on strength training and power skating the way that Robertson's were. I still see a lot of rankings with Greentree outside of the top 20 and I just can't understand it. Players like him; big wingers with skill and offensive upside, do not grow on trees. I really hope Greentree has a fantastic U18's for Canada in April (which seems like an inevitability given Windsor's spot in the standings) and rockets up lists to where he deserves to be placed.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If only I prefaced the trade with "I know they're probably not looking to move him, there'd need to be more moving parts etc" because I know that Carolina probably has no intention of trading Necas and if they did, they'd want a similar player back, which we don't have etc. The idea was to just say "we should look for a trade like this. I'm not sure who is available, but this is the kind of trade that we need to make."

I was implying we take Emery in the first. I don't like the profile of "big defensive D that doesn't score much" in a prospect. I don't really have anything against Emery in particular. I just chose him to as a representative of that player archetype.
So your suggestion is to trade our pick for an RFA from a team up against the cap that is not a bona fide cup contender? If so, how many teams and players realistically fit those parameters? I get why people like the idea of a trade, I just question how realistic it actually is.

Of all people, I would not expect you to value Emery very highly. I personally would not take him in the first round, but would absolutely consider him in the 2nd.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
ESPN (I know...) mock has the Wings taking Liam Greentree. Thoughts on him?

I like him. I've likened his game to Alex Tuch. Big, good shot, great puck protection, smart offensive player that doesn't rely on speed. If we could walk away with an Alex Tuch level winger from the first round that's an absolute win.

That said, I expect him to go earlier than the Wings pick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

yeah, this is where I saw the tension in making the choice, too. He seems like the anti-Yzerman pick but if he's available and is just way better than the next guy on your board, at what point does it become too good to pass up?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
yeah, this is where I saw the tension in making the choice, too. He seems like the anti-Yzerman pick but if he's available and is just way better than the next guy on your board, at what point does it become too good to pass up?
Reading that article? It doesn't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah for me that is a lot earlier than probably a lot of other people. Especially if you think you can provide him the correct support and that he has grown a lot in the interview process. You don't have to be a good person to be good at hockey and make huge impacts for a team, it isn't like our fanbase has held Datsyuk to their good people ideology. You think Bills fans apologize for things Josh Allen did as a younger guy... It is a decision you have to make as a business, but there is a talent aspect to this. However, it just is something that for a large bulk of his professional career even when Yzerman is willing to do it for a short period of time he almost always goes back on was sort of the warning or point of joy for those that are in different camps if they were to draft Connelly.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah for me that is a lot earlier than probably a lot of other people. Especially if you think you can provide him the correct support and that he has grown a lot in the interview process. You don't have to be a good person to be good at hockey and make huge impacts for a team, it isn't like our fanbase has held Datsyuk to their good people ideology. You think Bills fans apologize for things Josh Allen did as a younger guy... It is a decision you have to make as a business, but there is a talent aspect to this. However, it just is something that for a large bulk of his professional career even when Yzerman is willing to do it for a short period of time he almost always goes back on was sort of the warning or point of joy for those that are in different camps if they were to draft Connelly.
Even from a purely team winning perspective, I do think that we have to worry about players having offensive opinions because ultimately they're public figures in a fan-driven entertainment industry. The leash for what athletes can do/say is getting shorter every year, and you'd hate to be in a Tampa- DeAngelo situation. You also need his teammates to like him, which could be difficult if his opinions are too outrageous. So for me, it's a huge minus, even just from a trying to win perspective. He's totally out for me in the first.

I have a hard time after the first round. If I'm on the clock at ~45, Connelly is still sitting there and there's no one else that I view as a first round talent-from a winning perspective- you have to take him.

There's also a whole personal morals, political and business ethics discussion to be had about drafting and employing athletes with offensive views, in public, prominent roles. I don't think this is the place to hash out how much responsibility you think a company has for the views of its employees, how much right people have to express offensive opinions, how we define what's offensive, etc. My personal take is that I would probably end up being unwilling to draft him until some other gm took the choice out of my hands.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yegor Surin projecting second round, but probably will be taking late first, plays Mazur like.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Hage's a good player with potential long-term at Center. He plays on a bad team this year. He'll be at Michigan next year. I feel like next year he'd be a top 10 draftee but hey.
yeah if MBN doesnt get to us Hage would be my next pick. Think he's been over shadowed by the legacy Celebrini and Fantilli.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hage's a good player with potential long-term at Center. He plays on a bad team this year. He'll be at Michigan next year. I feel like next year he'd be a top 10 draftee but hey.
Michael Hage is a small forward who possesses quickness, agility, and intelligence, like most of his peers in the position. However, his greatest attribute is his excellent skating ability. His pristine edgework and powerful first three strides allow him to move quickly and overwhelm his opponents.3 days ago

Copy it from Google. Kinda confused, because elite prospects showing 6'.1" 190lb , not small at all

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Michael Hage is a small forward who possesses quickness, agility, and intelligence, like most of his peers in the position. However, his greatest attribute is his excellent skating ability. His pristine edgework and powerful first three strides allow him to move quickly and overwhelm his opponents.3 days ago

Copy it from Google. Kinda confused, because elite prospects showing 6'.1" 190lb , not small at all
Yeah idk, when I think of small, I think of like, Raymond/Debrincat size bros... not dudes hovering around 200lbs and 6'0. More like under 5'10 and under 180lbs.

Reactions: lilidk

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I can get behind him if the brass can get behind them. Given the stakes in terms of bad press, I expect that they will have done a ton of diligence on the kid. I was very much surprised that the Athletic did not interview any of his current teammates, coaches, folks with USA hockey, other USHL players and coaches, etc. Very few professional athletes are saints and I have very realistic expectations of them. If they are convinced that he will be a good teammate, that he is coachable and has improving judgment and self-awareness, I can get behind taking him in the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad