2024-25 Roster…too soon?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Don't be too shocked if Phillips and Crevier both start in the NHL. Both are out of waiver-exempt next season, and young enough with the team being bad enough so they may just keep them around and wait for an injury, or if there is none, waiving whichever one is worse of the two (or sending Kaiser down if he's bad since he's still waiver-exempt).
Could see it. Although I think both could easily both get waived after training camp.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Forwards are even more likely to have injury since there’s more of them so figure about 16 forwards between who is already back, who is expected back and who they may bring in via UFA. Typically sorts itself out before getting too into who may need to be waived.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think we’ll be 9th-12th from the bottom. Most of all I expect 90 points from bedard. The elite elite stars take no time to skyrocket.
Perhaps, we’ll see what happens around the league as well. Right now there’s a big gap in GD between San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim and then you get to Columbus and Montreal and then everyone else.

A good deal of the teams in that non playoff group are teams that have been doing rebuilding ish stuff for a while and are looking to get out of it. So they probably won’t fully go to the tank. Some of the teams that probably should go for the tank are like Philadelphia who is doing the Torts thing, Calgary that isn’t allowed to use that word with ownership and Pittsburgh who may just make the playoffs after all and won’t with Crosby still playing well. So someone like the Hawks could see a big rise in their goal differential without making a huge jump in standings position just because there aren’t new teams stepping up to take on the tank. This wouldn’t be the worst thing to be honest.

Reactions: Joemoe

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Could see it. Although I think both could easily both get waived after training camp.
Likely they sign two way deals right? Neither of them have done anything to justify one way deals. So sent down to Rockford without having to hit waivers.

Anyways the Dcore should be based on merit. If EDM or Allan have better training camps than vets or whoever, they should start with Chicago, so we’ll see.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Perhaps, we’ll see what happens around the league as well. Right now there’s a big gap in GD between San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim and then you get to Columbus and Montreal and then everyone else.

A good deal of the teams in that non playoff group are teams that have been doing rebuilding ish stuff for a while and are looking to get out of it. So they probably won’t fully go to the tank. Some of the teams that probably should go for the tank are like Philadelphia who is doing the Torts thing, Calgary that isn’t allowed to use that word with ownership and Pittsburgh who may just make the playoffs after all and won’t with Crosby still playing well. So someone like the Hawks could see a big rise in their goal differential without making a huge jump in standings position just because there aren’t new teams stepping up to take on the tank. This wouldn’t be the worst thing to be honest.
I agree, maybe we get a team that blows it up in the offseason but either way based on where the Hawks are at in their rebuild versus the other bottom teams in the league I would be surprised if the Hawks aren't a bottom five team at best next season.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Likely they sign two way deals right? Neither of them have done anything to justify one way deals. So sent down to Rockford without having to hit waivers.
Two-way deal doesn’t impact whether a player has to go through waivers. It only impacts the salary they earn if they pass through waivers and go to the AHL. From a fan perspective, it doesn’t really matter for us.

Reactions: Pertti and TLEH

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Two-way deal doesn’t impact whether a player has to go through waivers. It only impacts the salary they earn if they pass through waivers and go to the AHL. From a fan perspective, it doesn’t really matter for us.
Interesting. They’re apparently both waivers exempt for the time being, so a non-issue going into next year.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Detroit is trying their hardest to miss the playoffs this year. I doubt Kane goes back there if they do, that was the whole point of signing there.

Hoping against hope, I want him back here. Overpay him for a year and let him loose with Bedard. Team might still be bad but at least it’ll be fun.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Detroit is trying their hardest to miss the playoffs this year. I doubt Kane goes back there if they do, that was the whole point of signing there.

Hoping against hope, I want him back here. Overpay him for a year and let him loose with Bedard. Team might still be bad but at least it’ll be fun.
Give him 2 years.

We won't make the playoffs, but Kane and Bedard would be fun; for us and for them.

Doubt it'll happen, though.

Reactions: Hattrick Kane

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Give him 2 years.

We won't make the playoffs, but Kane and Bedard would be fun; for us and for them.

Doubt it'll happen, though.
Yeah likely dreaming. But the thought stems from a very real problem of Bedard having no one to play with.

Kane is just a good fit where we don’t have to give him a long term deal. Most elite guys want ridiculous money with max term (Reinhart, Guentzel). And there isn’t many just good forwards in free agency this year.

I just don’t want to see Donato or Dickinson or whoever on the top line next year. Guys I’d check in on other than Kane are Domi and Teuvo.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yeah likely dreaming. But the thought stems from a very real problem of Bedard having no one to play with.

Kane is just a good fit where we don’t have to give him a long term deal. Most elite guys want ridiculous money with max term (Reinhart, Guentzel). And there isn’t many just good forwards in free agency this year.

I just don’t want to see Donato or Dickinson or whoever on the top line next year. Guys I’d check in on other than Kane are Domi and Teuvo.
Need a Hall-Bedard-Kane line next season. Insulate the kid with some talent (and some other former 1st overall picks).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Kane would be a great stopgap linemate for Bedard and the gap year alleviates any concern of it still being the old way locker room/culture thing with it being the new wave.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Kane would be a great stopgap linemate for Bedard and the gap year alleviates any concern of it still being the old way locker room/culture thing with it being the new wave.
Kane is the one veteran you could commit to a 3-4 year deal with. $4.5M would be a decent price to lock him in and keep enough money freed up for surrounding players

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It would be the most Troll Hawks thing for us to move on from Kane, draft Bedard, have Kane sign with a Wings team that just barely misses the playoffs, Hawks win 1st overall again, bring Kane back, and then makes the playoffs sooner than the Wings; who have struggled for a longer period of time without any top 3 picks to show for it.

It must happen.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kanexwoukdvhave to give up another SC dream if hecsigbscwith Hawksxatca retirement discount ...sure 4.5 million ×4 years would be great forvthe Hawks playingvhim with Bedard...but since Bedard is lousy in own zone checjingvciverage and Jane does not check anyone they mustvoutscorectheir d-zobe flaws...100 poibtcseasobsxwiukdcdo it..maybe get them to net zero or just -5 ..It would help if they signed a ufa terrfic defensive winger to cover for them.

BUT :

1.Kane's agent won't like the big discounting pay level..so convinces Kane he can get MORE $$$ and with soneteam hoping gvto contender.

2.If Kane thinks Buffalo is equal in pay to what he cN get in Chicago or elsewhere And thinks they are closer to contending than the Chicago time-table,he might opt to play at home.

3.If he agrees to pkay at a discount I Chicago then hexwiukdcwant a No Movement clause..and here we go again...thought we insist KD does NOT give those out willy nilly like Stanbo did.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Kanes not going anywhere. The Debrincats and Kanes have boys the same age and familys are close. Hes going to resign in Detriot if Yzerman wants him.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Opening night roster next year assuming minimal change and Hawks pick at four with Lev not available, and Hawks pick not ready:

Hall - Bedard - Kurashev
Reichel - Nazar - Athanasiou
Foligno - Dickinson - Anderson
Slaggart - Donato - Blackwell

Vlasic - Jones
Del Mastro - Murphy
Korchinski - Kaiser

Opening night roster with Celebrini:

Hall - Bedard - Kurashev
Reichel - Celebrini - Nazar
Dickinson - Athanasiou - Anderson
Foligno - Donato - Slaggart

Opening night roster with Levshunov

Forwards as above first

Vlasic - Jones
Del Mastro - Murphy
Korchinski - Levshunov

This is my 0.02 cents worth. I'm not guessing about trades or fa signings, other than to speculate about Kurashev being a potential trade-high candidate.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hall Bedard Kane
Reichel Celebrini Nazar
Slaggert AA Kurashev
Foligno Dickinson Anderson/Donato

Vlasic Jones
Korchinski Murphy
Edmonton Kaiser
???

Mrazek
Cap Dump Backup

Dreaming up front, realistic in the back. It's like the anti-mullets of potential Hawks rosters.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Duclair-Bedard-Nazar
Slaggert-Celebrini-Kurashev
Foligno-Dickinson-Athanasiou
Hall-Donato-Reichel
Blackwell

Vlasic-Jones
Kaiser-Murphy
Korchinski-Walker
Del Mastro

Mrazek
Soderblom

Draft: Macklin Celebrini
Free agent signings: Anthony Duclair + Sean Walker

Reactions: ray c

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Slaggert is only here to burn a year. He will be in Rockford. We have Stockholm syndrome with some of these guys.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
There’s actually a problem with those lineups that’s been overlooked. The cap floor still exists. It’ll probably be around 65 million next year.

I gave Vlasic 5 million dollars and Anderson and Reichel didn’t get big raises. So being generous, I got to around 58-60 million for the team including retentions and buyouts.

So they actually need to sign some half decent free agents or trade for someone to stuff on LTIR. I just hope it’s not more AA’s who is fast but largely useless.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Bedarded

meow
Mar 21, 2013
Kanes not going anywhere. The Debrincats and Kanes have boys the same age and familys are close. Hes going to resign in Detriot if Yzerman wants him.
Kane can sign here for 4ish years x 5ish MM , average 61pts per year take the Blackhawks point record and move back to Detroit to live with the DeBrincats & sons for the remainder of their careers and their sons will only be like 8 years old.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Slaggert turns 22 in June. He doesn't have to go to Rockford, although he's waiver-exempt and certainly could. He's waiver-exempt until 2026-27 so you put him in Rockford as opposed to multiple game press box stints as a 13th/14th forward, or even perhaps a 12th forward playing eight minutes a night. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play some games in Rockford, although he's likely your first injury replacement and thus I can see him spending most of the season in the NHL (if he plays well enough).

I imagine sign 2 UFA Forwards, 0 defensemen, bring back Reichel, Anderson, re-sign Guttman with plans to promote back up. Obviously re-sign Vlasic, sign Phillips and Crevier cheap. Probably re-sign Blackwell. Say goodbye to UFAs T. Johnson, Zaitsev, Tinordi and Megna. Say goodbye to RFAs Entwistle, R. Johnson and Raddysh.

Forwards (14)
Hall
Athanasiou
Foligno
Dickinson
Kurashev
Donato
Bedard
Blackwell
Reichel
Anderson
Guttman
UFA
UFA
Nazar
Slaggert*

Defense (7)
Jones
Murphy
Vlasic
Korchinski
Kaiser
Del Mastro
Phillips

(here is where you can also possibly begin the season with both Phillips and Crevier up, start one of the waiver-exempt guys in Rockford and wait around for an injury or until you just waive whichever of Phillips or Crevier sucks more)

Goalie (2)
Mrazek
Soderblom

Looking at that, probably need a couple for Free Agent forwards for depth as you rarely have everyone healthy at once. Maybe you re-sign Raddysh for cheap as well, and maybe add someone else. Slaggert and/or Nazar can be in AHL as needed if everyone is healthy, and you can find some callups out of Dach/Rolston/Luypen/Hayes/Ludwinski/Savoie/Misiak as needed.

Reactions: Muffinalt

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Does Korchinski play In the NHL next year or does he go to Rockford?

I'm still a fan but not sure if he's completely ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad