HF Habs: 2023 World U18 Men's Hockey Championship: Finals Sunday, April 30 | Canada wins Bronze, 4-3 (OT) | USA wins Gold, 3-2 (OT), Sweden Silver

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Constanzo 3rd goalie? Did you see the lines?

Looks like there's a Martone - Howe - Lardis line and Barlow - Celebrini - something

It's a deep team, but if Canada can add Yager...not sure how any of the big teams will compete.

I like TC's team, but I think Tanner Molendyk would be a huge add if they can get him. I think there's more than enough scoring upfront.

Reactions: SOLR

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Or maybe the 3rd goalie will get a full-game equivalent during exhibitions because he won't see the ice after.

Tomorrow is the last exhibition game for Canada. Tournament starts Thursday. At most 3rd goalie gets half a game.

Canada vs Sweden. 8:30 EDT.

I'll be at work, and won't be able to watch it live.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It looks like Saskatoon will go down 2-0 in their series with Red Deer. Sweep can be done by Wednesday. Hopefully Molendyk is in Switzerland by Thursday. He'll miss 1st game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thats a pretty deep team. Zether, FUS, Forsfjall, Edstrom, NDN, Lindstein, Willander, ASP are all very interesting.

Zether is an October birthday, so a 2024. He's already 6'3. RHC.

I'm curious about Sweden's goaltending. Not really familiar with any of them.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They already have 7 D named but only 12 F.

Not sure another D is in the cards.

Yeah, should have checked the roster. Chances are high Prince George is out by Wednesday, so Riley Heidt could be a late add on.

I wonder if they'd add Michael Misa if Saginaw is out by Thursday?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Another C (Heidt/Yager) would be very welcome. Knocks Ritchie down into a 3rd line role.

Think Moose Jaw - Winnipeg is going at least 6 games. Don't see the timing being right for Yager to join - assuming Winnipeg wins the series.

Heidt is definitely going to be available after Wednesday. PG is completely over matched against Seattle. No game has even been close.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Think Moose Jaw - Winnipeg is going at least 6 games. Don't see the timing being right for Yager to join - assuming Winnipeg wins the series.

Heidt is definitely going to be available after Wednesday. PG is completely over matched against Seattle. No game has even been close.
Heidt is very fun to watch, great skater and slick puckhandler, will be a great add to the team.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thank you! Great to hear Dvorsky will be playing. I thought he did great as a 17-year old in the WJC with defensive assignments against USA and Canada's top lines (a win and an OT loss). I'm hoping he gets an opportunity to be turned loose offensively next week.
It’ll be fun to see him in an alpha dog role playing against his peers. I’m hoping he has a massive tourney. Can’t wait to see him and Smith go toe to toe.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Is Aron Kiviharju still highly touted? Feels like this kids stock has fallen incredibly people were talking about him alot as a 16 year old generational finish D. Size issues? Lack of progress?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is Aron Kiviharju still highly touted? Feels like this kids stock has fallen incredibly people were talking about him alot as a 16 year old generational finish D. Size issues? Lack of progress?

A combination of size & skating. He's still super small plus other players stepping up. He's already fallen to around #15 range for 2024 draft with several defenseman jumping him.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Levshunov is 6'3, a good skater, a good shooter, good IQ, impossible to ignore.
From Belarus, but he's already in the US.

Vaisanen is who is hurting Kivi's ranking the most, because he has surpassed Kivi in 1 year and then that invites scouts to rank others ahead of him, not sure how firm that is yet.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I personally find the TSN website terrible. I use 3rd party.

They're showing 2 games. Canada vs Sweden at 8:30 am then Czech Republic vs Slovakia at 12:30 pm. Both should be excellent games.
Yes. That's the beginning of the tournament on Thursday. TSN5 has USA - Latvia at 10 am and Finland - Switzerland at 2 pm as well.

Edit; Canada game will be replayed on TSN2 ay 9:30 pm so you will be able to see it (if you get all the TSN channels).

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Jul 6, 2016
It's a bit of a joke when most CHL kids are still playing in Playoffs.

Same for the "World" Championship for the pros.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's a bit of a joke when most CHL kids are still playing in Playoffs.

Same for the "World" Championship for the pros.

It's fine, we are always a bit handicapped, but overall we have the depth to take it and it gives more opportunities for 16, 15 years old to get some experience in the program and this is good for continuity.

Like if Heidt and Yager made it, Celebrini might be forced to the wing - I think it's good for everyone that he gets an opportunity at 16, this might be his only U18 opportunity, and he's likely to be at Hlinka and WJC, be considered "graduated".

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's fine, we are always a bit handicapped, but overall we have the depth to take it and it gives more opportunities for 16, 15 years old to get some experience in the program and this is good for continuity.

Like if Heidt and Yager made it, Celebrini might be forced to the wing - I think it's good for everyone that he gets an opportunity at 16, this might be his only U18 opportunity, and he's likely to be at Hlinka and WJC, be considered "graduated".

Hope we get to see Yager and Heidt! Is it possible both get on the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad