2023 Western Conference Playoff Race - Kraken Style

The Kraken will finish the season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looking at the standings those final three games will be interesting.

The Kraken have secured the #1WC spot which, right now, would mean playing the winner of the central division.

Though, the Kraken are now trailing the Kings by only two points and have one game in hand om them.
The Kraken, as of right now, are also winning the tiebreaker with Los Angeles given that they have 36 RW compared to 35 by the Kings.

So let's see what happens at the end of the season where the Kraken can only win and move up, given that the #1WC spot is already secured.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at the standings those final three games will be interesting.

The Kraken have secured the #1WC spot which, right now, would mean playing the winner of the central division.

Though, the Kraken are now trailing the Kings by only two points and have one game in hand om them.
The Kraken, as of right now, are also winning the tiebreaker with Los Angeles given that they have 36 RW compared to 35 by the Kings.

So let's see what happens at the end of the season where the Kraken can only win and move up, given that the #1WC spot is already secured.

Passing the Kings, which seems likely, would mean a likely first round date with the Oilers. I would not prefer that!

Then again the most likely outcome if they don't stay in WC1 is facing the Avs.

I know the Kraken haven't matched up well with Vegas to date, but that seems a lot easier to me, especially with Stone out and the concerns they have in net. So if they move up to third, hopefully the Knights move down to 2nd.

My order of preference:

Minnesota
Vegas
Dallas
Colorado
Edmonton

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Colorado was lucky to win tonight against Anaheim who quickly fell behind 2-0 before surprisingly roaring back into a 4-2 lead which they maintained until eight minutes were left in the third period. Playing with furious intensity, MacKinnon, with two goals and a beautiful assist to Rantanen, took over from there. Colorado scored on three consecutive power plays in this stretch, including a very dubious one in overtime, to win the game 5-4.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Colorado was lucky to win tonight against Anaheim who quickly fell behind 2-0 before surprisingly roaring back into a 4-2 lead which they maintained until eight minutes were left in the third period. Playing with furious intensity, MacKinnon, with two goals and a beautiful assist to Rantanen, took over from there. Colorado scored on three consecutive power plays in this stretch, including a very dubious one in overtime, to win the game 5-4.
I think Colorado is missing Makar, Byram, Manson, Landeskog, Helm, and Lehkonen.

Not sure Landeskog will be back for the first round, but I think the others should all be back.

Current play aside, they worry me nearly as much as Edmonton. Hoping Seattle does not draw either of those teams early.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Colorado is missing Makar, Byram, Manson, Landeskog, Helm, and Lehkonen.

Not sure Landeskog will be back for the first round, but I think the others should all be back.

Current play aside, they worry me nearly as much as Edmonton. Hoping Seattle does not draw either of those teams early.
Even though they have frequently struggled, after watching their last three or four games, I now want no part of them. They haven't always played well, but they responded like champions to every crisis that has emerged. And MacKinnon, as he demonstrated last night, can completely take over a game through sheer force of will. if all those guys are coming back for the first round, including Makar, than I hope we play Minnesota.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Even though they have frequently struggled, after watching their last three or four games, I now want no part of them. They haven't always played well, but they responded like champions to every crisis that has emerged. And MacKinnon, as he demonstrated last night, can completely take over a game through sheer force of will. if all those guys are coming back for the first round, including Makar, than I hope we play Minnesota.
I think we are playing with house money at this point. Go in, soak in the experience of playing in the playoffs. We have shown that we can play well against the best of them this season, hopefully we can win a few games in the playoffs.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think we are playing with house money at this point. Go in, soak in the experience of playing in the playoffs. We have shown that we can play well against the best of them this season, hopefully we can win a few games in the playoffs.
Oh, I know, I know. It's just fun to do a little amateur scouting, especially as we have the unexpected luxury of time.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
My order of preference:

Minnesota
Vegas
Dallas
Colorado
Edmonton
I think the Kraken will be HEAVY underdogs against any of these teams. My first thought was also that the Oilers are the last team I'd like to face. However their goalie, and probably defense overall, might be the first team I'd pick to go against.

My order:
Dallas
Minnesota
Vegas?? (haven't played them in so long, might change after they play twice in the coming days)
|
|
Edmonton
Colorado

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think the reason I really don't want Seattle to play Edmonton is that the offensive onslaught could demoralize the goalies if they aren't up to the task. That said, on the flip side, a good showing against Edmonton could really build their confidence.

I'm confused why a few of you like the idea of playing Dallas. I thought the toughest games Seattle played all season were against the Stars. I feel like they are one of very few teams that can keep up with the Kraken from an effort standpoint.

That all said, Just happy for playoff hockey.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the reason I really don't want Seattle to play Edmonton is that the offensive onslaught could demoralize the goalies if they aren't up to the task. That said, on the flip side, a good showing against Edmonton could really build their confidence.

I'm confused why a few of you like the idea of playing Dallas. I thought the toughest games Seattle played all season were against the Stars. I feel like they are one of very few teams that can keep up with the Kraken from an effort standpoint.

That all said, Just happy for playoff hockey.
I think teams that generally rely on their stars to carry them fail in the playoffs. Things get more physical, penalties don't get called as much. Edmonton has amazing star power but if you manage to neutralize McDavid they will be hard pressed to score.

I think any team that tries to win against the Oilers by outscoring them is going to fail. On the other hand, teams that play a sounds defensive game and rely on rolling 4 lines and can score from all four, are likely to have a better chance.

For us, the problem through the whole season has been consistency on defense. If we can get that for the playoffs and Gru can be as good as he has been for the last 2 months, we will still be underdogs, but underdogs with a big bite.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Passing the Kings, which seems likely, would mean a likely first round date with the Oilers. I would not prefer that!

Then again the most likely outcome if they don't stay in WC1 is facing the Avs.

I know the Kraken haven't matched up well with Vegas to date, but that seems a lot easier to me, especially with Stone out and the concerns they have in net. So if they move up to third, hopefully the Knights move down to 2nd.

My order of preference:

Minnesota
Vegas
Dallas
Colorado
Edmonton
I like your ranking and agree, passing the Kings may be the opposite of a blessing in disguise. Then again, every year when the playoffs start I think, "This could be Edmonton's year", and I've never been right. Something about watching McDavid skate obliterates my objectivity.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I think the Kraken will be HEAVY underdogs against any of these teams. My first thought was also that the Oilers are the last team I'd like to face. However their goalie, and probably defense overall, might be the first team I'd pick to go against.

My order:
Dallas
Minnesota
Vegas?? (haven't played them in so long, might change after they play twice in the coming days)
|
|
Edmonton
Colorado
If Landeskog is back and healthy the Avs may be scariest.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Im hoping u guys overtake LA for 3rd in Pacific. In saying that, who would u rather play, Edmonton or Vegas 1st Rd?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
LA has an easy time with Vancouver 3-0. What little I saw of the first two periods, the Canucks spent most of the time buffing their nails. The third was marginallly better as they turned their intensity dial up to maybe 2.4, but it pretty much looked like men playing boys most of the time.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
LA has an easy time with Vancouver 3-0. What little I saw of the first two periods, the Canucks spent most of the time buffing their nails. The third was marginallly better as they turned their intensity dial up to maybe 2.4, but it pretty much looked like men playing boys most of the time.
Up til this game the Canucks were doing what they’ve done for a decade. “Playing for pride”, “building for next year”, and “never giving up”, which is Vanspeak for meaningless wins and a lousy draft pick.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
None of the possible matchups are ideal, but the Kraken should've won 2 of 3 against the Stars. It's kind of a tossup between them and Minnesota considering the Wild haven't been as successful in the postseason.
The Avs Oilers game tonight should be a fun one. I probably won't get to watch since there are 2 other games I'll probably watch and not even I can sit through 3 games straight DESPITE WHAT MY WIFE SAYS!

• Haha
Reactions: The Marquis

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With at least 80 games played by all the contenders, there is still nothing certain about who we will play in the first round. The likelihood is Dallas, who are red hot, but Colorado could still theoretically drop or Minnesota could still theoretically rise (the longer shot). We might not know until the final game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad