Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fast forward to April 22 and now, April 24 Hockey Night in Canada agsinst ghe Maple Leafs, and I am pissed at Helle's 'Swiss Cheese'net protecting!! What a farce for a #1, Vezina resume goalie. Embarrassing! And, he is shitting on the coach for pulling him! I would send him to the showers, again, in this one too. May as well play Comrie!
Helle needs a huge reset right now. Bad attitude and energy and habits leaking into his game 9 games away from Playoffs, not good signs at all. I hate the Leafs but can't help but feel they are dominating us more each game as they come. Having your top goalie giving them games on easy goals let in doesn't help.
But yes, blame a player for blowing a play late in a game to ruin the shutout ( in a sure win). Sucks to lose the shutout, but sucks worse to have zero faith in your main goalie early in very important games, because he is giving the other team easy goals.
Okay, I said my piece. Hope it is over with and not warranted anymore.
Please do not quote my posts to try to support your insane ramblings. Thank you.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hellebucyk played great last night. I know he gave up three but two were flukes and one was a great unobstructed pass to a elite goal scorer who finished with authority. He made so many difficult saves in the 3rd period.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Helly needs to stop chasing high off the glass dump ins behind his net. There are these things called stanchions. He hasnt learned the difference between a ringer around the boards, or one high on the glass. After way too many bad goals like that, by now it is clear that he is incapable of getting it. Goalie coach or Maurice needs to forbid him from leaving his crease to chase the high ringer around ones that are up on the glass.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Helly needs to stop chasing high off the glass dump ins behind his net. There are these things called stanchions. He hasnt learned the difference between a ringer around the boards, or one high on the glass. After way too many bad goals like that, by now it is clear that he is incapable of getting it. Goalie coach or Maurice needs to forbid him from leaving his crease to chase the high ones that are up on the glass.

Then every goalie coach should tell their goalies not to do it. Those goals have everything to do with luck and nothing to do with the goalies ability to play the puck since he didn't actually get to play the puck. Marty Brodeur would've given that goal up, and he's the top puck handling goalie I've ever seen.

Coming out of the net there was the right play. He stops the puck from going to the other side and a defenceman picks it up behind the net. Hellebuyck's sometimes dodgy moments playing the puck have nothing to do with when the puck hits a stanchion. Just allowing the puck to go around there just ensures the opposition can maintain position in the Jets' zone.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
We have scored 3 maybe 4 goals our last 3 4 games now combined.

So reality.... For us to have won any of those games he'd have had to get a shutout and score a goal 1 game. Last night? We scored once... shutout required again. The previous game... 3 2 after 1? It's not over folks... We just can't score goals anymore... It's Ehlers scoring or nobody.

Can't score? Not gonna win regardless

Reactions: JetsUK

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Then every goalie coach should tell their goalies not to do it. Those goals have everything to do with luck and nothing to do with the goalies ability to play the puck since he didn't actually get to play the puck. Marty Brodeur would've given that goal up, and he's the top puck handling goalie I've ever seen.

Coming out of the net there was the right play. He stops the puck from going to the other side and a defenceman picks it up behind the net. Hellebuyck's sometimes dodgy moments playing the puck have nothing to do with when the puck hits a stanchion. Just allowing the puck to go around there just ensures the opposition can maintain position in the Jets' zone.
They dont need to. Most goaltenders dont chase the high ringers around the glass for this exact reason. You aren't likely to be able to get in under control / play it right when they are that fast and high. Or it can take a bad bounce off of your high stick or a stanchion. Too unpredictable. If it's on the boards or high on the boards it's different- more predictable.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
They dont need to. Most goaltenders dont chase the high ringers around the glass for this exact reason. You aren't likely to be able to get in under control / play it right when they are that fast and high. Or it can take a bad bounce off of your high stick or a stanchion. Too unpredictable. If it's on the boards or high on the boards it's different- more predictable.

I was a former goalie who disliked playing the puck for that very reason but I learned over time that shit just happens. Helle isn't coming out to stop the puck cuz he necessarily wants to but because he's being told to.

Reactions: Lady Stanley

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I was a former goalie who disliked playing the puck for that very reason but I learned over time that shit just happens. Helle isn't coming out to stop the puck cuz he necessarily wants to but because he's being told to.

Thanks for that direct perspective. Which takes us back to my post that led to this line of discussion. Goalie coach or Maurice needs to forbid him from leaving his crease to chase the high ones that are up on the glass. Too unpredictable.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Helly needs to stop chasing high off the glass dump ins behind his net. There are these things called stanchions. He hasnt learned the difference between a ringer around the boards, or one high on the glass. After way too many bad goals like that, by now it is clear that he is incapable of getting it. Goalie coach or Maurice needs to forbid him from leaving his crease to chase the high ones that are up on the glass.
Complete nonsense

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Also complete nonsense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for that direct perspective. Which takes us back to my post that led to this line of discussion. Goalie coach or Maurice needs to forbid him from leaving his crease to chase the high ones that are up on the glass. Too unpredictable.

So if a puck touches the glass on the way in, he should just stay in his net then. Sure, you'll give up a lot of zone time when the other team is able to easily retrieve the puck going around the boards on the 99.5% of the times it doesn't hit a stanchion, and sure, you'll set your defencemen up to take big hits on the forecheck when they go in to retrieve the puck, but you won't get scored on in 1 or 2 of 1000 situations so it's for sure worth it.

Also, not sure what teeth "forbidding" him from leaving the crease would have since benching him leaves this team fighting for perennial 10th overall draft picks.

Reactions: Atoyot

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So if a puck touches the glass on the way in, he should just stay in his net then. Sure, you'll give up a lot of zone time when the other team is able to easily retrieve the puck going around the boards on the 99.5% of the times it doesn't hit a stanchion, and sure, you'll set your defencemen up to take big hits on the forecheck when they go in to retrieve the puck, but you won't get scored on in 1 or 2 of 1000 situations so it's for sure worth it.

Also, not sure what teeth "forbidding" him from leaving the crease would have since benching him leaves this team fighting for perennial 10th overall draft picks.

I said the high ringers around the glass. The ones that are ringing around from one corner around the net heading to the other corner. Not just any shot that may hit the glass.

Last edited:

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I watched some older Jets games from 2013-2014 (because lockdown) and MAN are we ever fortunate to have Hellebuyck.

He makes it look so effortless because he is just in position to make every save he can. It is rare that he doesn't track it through a screen or track a pass across the ice and quickly get in position. In the overtime yesterday, the Oilers did get some really good chances but they were easily stopped because Hellebuyck made several key positional saves. I think that we may have just become so used to seeing him shine that it almost doesn't register how exceptional it is anymore.

Go back and watch Pavelec in some of those earlier games.

"There was a screen. No chance for Pavelec."
"It was slightly deflected so he had no chance"
"It was a one-timer so he had no chance"

There were an unusual amount of passes that he didn't track that would lead to tap-ins into a completely wide open net. There were also a lot of moments where I thought, "uhh...oh? So that scored?"

Not only would Hellebuyck make many of those saves, he would make them look completely routine.

The man runs with ice in his veins.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hellybuyck is in Patrik Roy territory, in terms of what he did in round 1.

Hopefully similar output in round 2.
Its gonna get tougher with the Leafs if they dispose the Habs.

100% like the Jets chance vs. The Oilers.
70% vs. LEAFS or 100% vs Habs.

With Leafs
We can match their forward.
They have a slight edge on D.
But with how JMO, Demelo , Pionk and Stanley have step up. Im happy with the match up.

Goalie, Helly all the way. Jets ace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad