Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is helly up there with the greats of this generation but will never get the credit, Hank and others got because Winnipeg and Jets can’t make it to finals?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
so far at all strengths helle is

6th in TOI/5th in gp. 4th in shots-against and 1st in most xGA. has played 27/33 games, on track to be over 65+ if this keeps up

i was hoping for the jets to be a bit further up the standings or better defensively to lessen Helle's workload, but if anything, likely will need him to be in that 65 starts range to give us the best chance for the POs

Reactions: hn777

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I could not help notice that a few posters are claiming Hellebuyck is having a "bad" year this season. Statistics indicate that his saving percentage is 0.913, which is above the league average of 0.908%. It may be that we have come to expect Vezina trophy calibre goaltending every season.

The fact that the matter is that Hellebuyck's stats have been above average every year he has played in the NHL, with the only exception being 2016-17.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I could not help notice that a few posters are claiming Hellebuyck is having a "bad" year this season. Statistics indicate that his saving percentage is 0.913, which is above the league average of 0.908%. It may be that we have come to expect Vezina trophy calibre goaltending every season.

The fact that the matter is that Hellebuyck's stats have been above average every year he has played in the NHL, with the only exception being 2016-17.

It's a bad year for him, it's not a bad year for an NHL goaltender.

Reactions: surixon

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
It's a bad year for him, it's not a bad year for an NHL goaltender.
I wonder if the attempt to crack down on cross-checking is making a difference? League sv% is down.

Can't think of any other significant changes to the system. It was amusing - during the NSH game, their commentators were actually bemoaning the fact that by calling cross-checking, the league was taking away Boroweicki's "greatest weapon"...
:laugh:

They're technically right, but probably not in the way they meant...

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Seeing lots of criticism of Hellybuyck. "Soft goals" "being outplayed yet again by the opposing goalie."

I just took a look at MoneyPuck and Goals Saved Above Expected. Connor is 5th in the league at 17.5. Last year, he was first at 19.3 and the year before he was first with 24.2.

Despite those puck-handling gaffs, Connor is not the problem. He is our MVP this year...again. Even, moreso than the other Connor.

Reactions: GNP

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Hellebuycks rankings all strength minimum 1000 mins played.

SV%-19th
HDSV%-26th
GSAA-15th
HDGSAA-25th
GAA-25th
HDGAA-32nd

Most goals and HDGoals allowed in the entire league.

granted the total goals against is directly related to fact that he’s played the most games out of any goaltender but on the flip side of that is he’d probably rank worse in the (HD)GSAA if he played less games.

there also happens to be only 7 goalies that face a further average shot distance.

I’m not saying Hellebuyck is the problem at all but to try and say he is having an elite season, the team MVP and a lottery team without him I just can’t agree with.

I certainly expect a lot more from one of the highest paid goalies in the league.

Reactions: Jet and gojetsgo

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Helly is earning above his $6 million salary this season. He is 12th among goalies who have started around half or more of their team's games.

Helly has been great since the all star game. 8 games with a .930 save percentage.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Helly is earning above his $6 million salary this season. He is 12th among goalies who have started around half or more of their team's games.

Helly has been great since the all star game. 8 games with a .930 save percentage.

Never mind since the All-Star game - he's been great for like 6 years

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Depends what model you want to use….naturalstattrick ranks Hellebuyck 19th in GSAA.

Hellebuyck is a great goalie but he certainly is far from being a top 10 goalie this year.
Unless you use the Moneypuck model, in which case he is. :dunno:

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Unless you use the Moneypuck model, in which case he is. :dunno:
Well I’d say I have my doubts with the moneypuck model then.

Here is where Hellebuyck ranks in certain stats (stats from naturalstattrick, all strengths, min 1500 TOI)

SV%-18th
GAA-24th
GSAA-19th
HDSV%-25th
HDGAA-32nd
HDGSAA-27th

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well I’d say I have my doubts with the moneypuck model then.

Here is where Hellebuyck ranks in certain stats (stats from naturalstattrick, all strengths, min 1500 TOI)

SV%-18th
GAA-24th
GSAA-19th
HDSV%-25th
HDGAA-32nd
HDGSAA-27th

You should probably go with 5 on 5 because the Jets historically terrible PK for half the season is going to skew those all strengths numbers. Once it's adjusted it'll likely show him as top 10 in some categories and middle of the pack in others. Some of those stats also aren't great indicators for isolating goaltending impact.

Natural Stat Trick doesn't provide GSAx but you can easily do it yourself with their numbers, but it's not like Natural Stat Trick's numbers are very different than MoneyPuck's (10th in GSAx) or Evolving Hockey's (9th in GSAx w/ Score+Venue adj.).

11th with numbers from Natural Stat Trick :dunno:
tKYFUeD.png

Reactions: MardyBum

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
You should probably go with 5 on 5 because the Jets historically terrible PK for half the season is going to skew those all strengths numbers. Once it's adjusted it'll likely show him as top 10 in some categories and middle of the pack in others. Some of those stats also aren't great indicators for isolating goaltending impact.

Natural Stat Trick doesn't provide GSAx but you can easily do it yourself with their numbers, but it's not like Natural Stat Trick's numbers are very different than MoneyPuck's (10th in GSAx) or Evolving Hockey's (9th in GSAx w/ Score+Venue adj.).

11th with numbers from Natural Stat Trick :dunno:
tKYFUeD.png
A goalies job is to save the puck at all strengths not just 5v5 but if you want we can look at his 5v5 stats.

SV%-17th
GAA-19th
GSAA-16th
HDSV%-21st
HDGAA-25th
HDGSAA-20th

Like I said Hellebuyck is a great goalie but if anyone actually thinks he is close to a top 10 goalie this year based on one stat is just fooling themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad