2023 U18 WJC

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Has he grown because I don’t view anyone at 5’11” as a bulldozer from a power forward perspective. Maybe it’s just bad phrasinv or my 90’s mindset tgat all power forwards were 6’2” or bigger. I’m sure Larry David would label me a height snob.
When it comes to power I think weight matters considerably more. There's a reason fighting sports base their classes on weight, not height.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know i’ve slagged on Will Smith but there is zero chance he isn’t going in the top 6. He has top line skill and plays C.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I know i’ve slagged on Will Smith but there is zero chance he isn’t going in the top 6. He has top line skill and plays C.
As long as it's not us that's fine by me...I'd honestly rather have Perron or Moore or Leonard and maybe even Perreault than him. Just too big of a question mark on the skating.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As long as it's not us that's fine by me...I'd honestly rather have Perron or Moore or Leonard and maybe even Perreault than him. Just too big of a question mark on the skating.
I am going to have trouble making my list. I don’t lnow where Smith will land just yet but i just don’t think he’s going to be an option at our pick. He likely goes as early as 4.

Lots of small players that i like but doubt this organization is going to be targeting at 12 as i think we will take a longer view perspective and take another project with size (Wood). My list is going to be interesting. It’s formulating in my head.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m confused? His skating has always impressed me in that slippery, roll off contact, change pace and direction, sorta Cole Perfetti way. It’s the motor that’s worrisome.

I'd take Smith in a heartbeat, and if Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Michkov are off the board, he's my pick.
I’ve got Smith 6th

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think that Smith and Reinbacher likely go 4 & 5. Michkov and Benson will be considered more seriously once those guys are off the board.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I’m confused? His skating has always impressed me in that slippery, roll off contact, change pace and direction, sorta Cole Perfetti way. It’s the motor that’s worrisome.
What skating? His agility is decent for sure, but he has absolutely no acceleration whatsoever and takes ages to get up to even a decent speed, his top speed is also slow as molasses, he's going to get beat constantly in the NHL and be even more of a liability defensively if he stays like this. Maybe I just haven't seen him when his motor is engaged but he doesn't look like he has much of one either. His skating is better than Strome's, but not by much. I don't wanna take a chance on anyone I compare to Strome.

Reactions: Nowotny

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
His agility is decent for sure, but he has absolutely no acceleration whatsoever and takes ages to get up to even a decent speed, his top speed is also slow as molasses, he's going to get beat constantly in the NHL and be even more of a liability defensively if he stays like this.
I disagree. I think Will Smith is a very good overall skater. Not an elite speedster going end to end but he darts in and out really well and has break away ability. Great edges and agility. Changed pace and direction, rolls off contact, and manipulated time and space. Overall, his skating is one of the strengths of his game, I think.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I disagree. I think Will Smith is a very good overall skater. Not an elite speedster going end to end but he darts in and out really well and has break away ability. Great edges and agility. Changed pace and direction, rolls off contact, and manipulated time and space. Overall, his skating is one of the strengths of his game, I think.
I definitely disagree that he has break away ability. I think that's a weakness of his game.

The rest I can agree with, but I don't think that makes his skating great or a strength...I feel like his skating is average in that respect. A lot of scouts are saying his skating is an issue, and I'd agree based on what I've seen, but I haven't seen a ton of NTDP, so I could very well be wrong.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I really LOVE The game of Strbak. He’s so solid. Just erases opportunities from the opposition. Maddening to play against. Breaks up everything and makes life hard. Would love to pick him with our 2nd.

6-Dvorsky
12-Honzek
38-Strbak

;)
fixed it for you...that's the 2nd or 3rd time you've done that and HBK keeps calling Benson Bensen

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Jakub Dvorak is a 6'5 defenseman playing in the U18s, and if he hadn't lost a ton of time due to injury, he'd probably be touted as one of the top d-men in the draft. I've liked him in my viewings so far.

Reactions: hbk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad