2023 U18 WJC

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018

Pro body and pro game. Pronman says inconsistent compete and heavy skating (yeah yeah). Bob had him listed as a late round first at mid-term.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What’s his low-end? Todd Marchant? 35-40pt half center, half winger (who wins draws), PKs like crazy, has insane speed, but tunnel vision? He had like three top ten selke voting seasons. Good career but didn’t have the pure skills or vision.

High-end is maybe Dylan Larkin-ish?
Sounds kinda like Hanzal only replace physicality with speed.

Impressive. I know some don’t think his offensive skill set is top 10 worthy, but that is a nice asset to build from. If you think your org can develop his other skills, he will be worth it.
Username checks out

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
3-1 Sweden after the 1st period against Slovakia.

Some disgusting plays by Stenberg both on and off the puck. Really good vision and IQ, has made several great takeaways and had one rush where he made a great deke into a chance.

Dvorsky hasn't looked...prepared? He just looks like he isn't reacting as fast and isn't capitalizing on the chances he has. Haven't really been able to see his defensive abilities.

ASP has looked pretty good, has had mostly ups and a few downs but has 1 goal with a nice shot and he's been fairly poised with the puck, he did give it up once and he definitely has a tendency to pinch too much and want to get involved in the play more than he probably should.

NDN looks like a man among kids, screened the net on one Sweden goal, had a secondary assist, and made a fantastic deke on a near breakaway to create a chance but didn't end up converting. Was glad to see that he was still able to outpace the defenders on that and had the hands to make the play though. His skating doesn't seem good but it's better than I expected and have seen.

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

Pro body and pro game. Pronman says inconsistent compete and heavy skating (yeah yeah). Bob had him listed as a late round first at mid-term.

Not sure about the inconsistent compete, can kinda see it some times but not to a huge degree, but his skating is definitely pretty bad. On the other hand he's huge and still growing into his body and has been playing with men already. His shot is also better than advertised although playmaking is still his thing.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
RE: Moore

I'm clearly higher than most on him but pegging him as a 20g player upside is ridiculous to me, his shot and speed combination is amazing, probably one of the best in the draft outside of Bedard. And his vision and playmaking aren't bad at all, He definitely prefers to shoot! And he should, it's a great shot and he'll score off the rush more times than not, and he's also adept at throwing it to the net for a rebound...but you put him with players who can get open and he can deliver. You can look at his shifts with Leonard in the NTDP where he looks super good or his recent assist in the WJC, he isn't a one trick pony...he's just better at shooting, but not bad at other things.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
RE: Moore

I'm clearly higher than most on him but pegging him as a 20g player upside is ridiculous to me, his shot and speed combination is amazing, probably one of the best in the draft outside of Bedard. And his vision and playmaking aren't bad at all, He definitely prefers to shoot! And he should, it's a great shot and he'll score off the rush more times than not, and he's also adept at throwing it to the net for a rebound...but you put him with players who can get open and he can deliver. You can look at his shifts with Leonard in the NTDP where he looks super good or his recent assist in the WJC, he isn't a one trick pony...he's just better at shooting, but not bad at other things.
I have him in-between JT Miller and Lombardi. 60-70 point type 2C. If you think he has 1C upside then he's obviously in your top 10. His speed is elite. I'm more comfortable with him at the Ottawa pick but at this point I have about 5 names red circled for that pick.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Dvorsky had a nice chance on the PP in the second period, skated through 3 guys but lost his balance and waffled the puck.

Stenberg is all over the ice and if he didn't pass it straight to Dvorsky for a nice shot I would've said he's superhuman too. Otherwise he's been all over Slovakia and creating chances left right and center.

NDN has had a couple of good looks too. Great passes too.

Landin (spelling?) from Sweden also had two big hits and a couple of good defensive plays and Fjorsfall has also looked pretty good, getting trusted with the PK as well.

Still 3-1 through 2.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I have him in-between JT Miller and Lombardi. 60-70 point type 2C. If you think he has 1C upside then he's obviously in your top 10. His speed is elite. I'm more comfortable with him at the Ottawa pick but at this point I have about 5 names red circled for that pick.
I'd be ok with him at the 12th slot, certainly not at pick #6. There are players with way higher upside than Moore.

What I like about Moore is the motor and wheels, but I've seen plenty of shifts where he's a puck-shooter, when he should have been a puck distributor, so I'd 'argue' with anyone that says that his hockey IQ is High, it's not.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I have him top 10 for sure. Depending on how this tournament goes I might have him 5th or 6th.

Reactions: hbk

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Stenberg is reminding me of Kulich from last years draft that I had in the top 10...I've really liked what I've seen from Stenberg and he will definitely be a riser.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Amazing that Slovakia beat the Czechs and is tied late with Sweden after Sweden took a big dump on Canada's head.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Stenberg and Dower-Nilsson have been the two best players this game.

I've liked what Willander and ASP have been doing on defense and Lidstein hasn't been bad either. Edstrom has been another stand out. Slovakia hasn't had much to talk about but Dvorsky has had a few opportunities and Cedzo has created a few chances as well.

Dvorsky had a good pass for a goal and then Slovakia tied it up off a nice pass by Jeancko.

Stenberg didn't get credit for an assist but it looked like he had a nice give and go for Wahlberg off the turnover for a nice shot and goal by Wahlberg, but it's hard to say for sure. Empty netter by Unger Sorum seals the deal.

Overall Sweden played really well and definitely had the higher skill, offensively Stenberg and Dower-Nilsson ran the game and created tons of chances. Defensively I liked Forsfjall as a forward along with Stenberg and ASP, Lindstein, and Willander all were the best defenseman. For Slovakia Cedzo and Dvorsky were good, Dvorsky didn't show anything high end but he looked solid as always,

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I don’t think he’s lasting past 10. What do you think?

Has he grown because I don’t view anyone at 5’11” as a bulldozer from a power forward perspective. Maybe it’s just bad phrasinv or my 90’s mindset tgat all power forwards were 6’2” or bigger. I’m sure Larry David would label me a height snob.

Just turning Norway game on now.

Last edited:

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Has he grown because I don’t view anyone at 5’11” as a bulldozer from a power forward perspective. Maybe it’s just bad phrasinv or my 90’s mindset tgat all power forwards were 6’2” or bigger. I’m sure Larry David would label me a height snob.

Central Scouting has him at 6-0’ 192 on the final list. I’ve read a couple people now say he’s a fav among scouts for his effort and physical play.

Reactions: hbk

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

I could see him growing more, but the way he plays is reminiscent of a bulldozer, he plays like he's 6'2 or 6'4, goes hard to the net and sticks around, much like Nilsson or Haltunnen who actually are that size.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sale looking great. 3g in 1.3 games.

One of them where he stole the puck on a penalty kill and went the distance.
He looked incredible last year at this tournament. I thought he’d be a top 5-10 pick after that.

He’s a wrecking ball, though. He was by far and away my favorite US17s player last season. Tons of fun to watch. Endless energy and LOVES contact.

Stenberg is reminding me of Kulich from last years draft that I had in the top 10...I've really liked what I've seen from Stenberg and he will definitely be a riser.
I’ve seen him described (along with Cristall) as the most polarizing player in the draft. Like Fabian Lysell was in his draft year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He looked incredible last year at this tournament. I thought he’d be a top 5-10 pick after that.

He’s a wrecking ball, though. He was by far and away my favorite US17s player last season. Tons of fun to watch. Endless energy and LOVES contact.

I’ve seen him described (along with Cristall) as the most polarizing player in the draft. Like Fabian Lysell was in his draft year.
Wrecking ball makes more sense. Verbeek style physicality.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Not sure about the inconsistent compete, can kinda see it some times but not to a huge degree, but his skating is definitely pretty bad. On the other hand he's huge and still growing into his body and has been playing with men already. His shot is also better than advertised although playmaking is still his thing.
Another goal for Kasper, he needed this kind of showing after registering no offense in LIIGA.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad