2023 U18 WJC

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Jakub Dvorak is a 6'5 defenseman playing in the U18s, and if he hadn't lost a ton of time due to injury, he'd probably be touted as one of the top d-men in the draft. I've liked him in my viewings so far.
BA’s kind of defenseman. And they have not shied away from drafting injured players. Hockey sense is the first thing I see with him. Would guess he would be there in the second round, but he was 31 on Pronman’s list.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
BA’s kind of defenseman. And they have not shied away from drafting injured players. Hockey sense is the first thing I see with him. Would guess he would be there in the second round, but he was 31 on Pronman’s list.
I think he's a 2nd or 3rd round guy but I also wouldn't be shocked if a GM takes him in the 2nd or 1st.

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Have to strongly agree with this...Stenberg & Edstrom had good games for sure. Stenberg is pushing into that 12-20 range now and Edstrom is pushing to be a late 1st rounder.

I was disappointed with many of the Canadian hopefuls. Need to re-evaluate my draft board again, but figured I'd wait until after medal round tomorrow before I do my final list.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Have to strongly agree with this...Stenberg & Edstrom had good games for sure. Stenberg is pushing into that 12-20 range now and Edstrom is pushing to be a late 1st rounder.

I was disappointed with many of the Canadian hopefuls. Need to re-evaluate my draft board again, but figured I'd wait until after medal round tomorrow before I do my final list.

If those two rise, it means two must fall. We will be able to find some nice value at our 2nd. I wish we had more darts in that 32-64 range though.

Also, if we only have one 2nd I don't want to take another left-field pick like Duda. It would be real nice to come out of that round with a guy who is a late 1st/early 2nd on many peoples list. I'm still pretty bummed we getting get Chelsey last season, even though Duda has just as much upside.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I was ok w/Duda pick, he's got higher upside than Chesley, but I understand as I really like Chesley and he would have been an excellent pick with our 2nd last season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I was ok w/Duda pick, he's got higher upside than Chesley, but I understand as I really like Chesley and he would have been an excellent pick with our 2nd last season.

After the Mavrick pick it felt like taking two risky grand slam swings when there was a pretty pro looking two-way top four guy sitting right there. I am very happy with Duda though, especially after some of the smoke cleared.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...but it seems that our scouting group and BA are "big swings" type of guys...so I suspect that the upcoming draft will also be that way.

I think there motto is "GO BIG OR GO HOME"

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I agree...but it seems that our scouting group and BA are "big swings" type of guys...so I suspect that the upcoming draft will also be that way.

I think there motto is "GO BIG OR GO HOME"
Daniil But @ 12 OA

I wonder how that would affect the mood around here.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Daniil But @ 12 OA

I wonder how that would affect the mood around here.
He's high on a lot of lists. Recrutes have him top 5. He's a monster in size and has very good skill. He has the Geekie type raw upside that it would make sense... if he wasn't Russian. It really then depends on your risk tolerance towards Russians. If we went all in, I'm loving it but there's risk.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
When I watch Smith play I definetly don’t think skating issues. The way he moves with the puck on his stick is elite skating in itself. Think of guys like Kane and Ribeiro. The ability to be slippery in tight spaces is arguably more important than straight alway speed. The highlights are undeniable though, he has world class skill.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When I watch Smith play I definetly don’t think skating issues. The way he moves with the puck on his stick is elite skating in itself. Think of guys like Kane and Ribeiro. The ability to be slippery in tight spaces is arguably more important than straight alway speed. The highlights are undeniable though, he has world class skill.
biggest issue with Smith is his propensity to sit at the redline waiting for a breakout pass. HIs best comparable may be Keller who was a C with the USNDT only to be moved immediately to wing. Do you like him better or worse as a winger? I think the Habs will be all over Smith. Their management team was with the Rangers and they desperately were trying to trade up to 4OV to take Clayton Keller his draft year.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
@hbk, I keep seeing you say Smith sits at the redline, but what I see is "super anticipation", he begins before anyone else transitioning to offense and that leads to him to get behind defenders who have failed to realize that they're no longer on offense but defense.

Most players transition upon puck possession, but from what I've seen, Smith transitions before possession exists, but when he knows they will get the puck. That type of anticipation is what makes him lethal. Anticipation and hockey IQ along w/his hands are his biggest attributes.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
@hbk, I keep seeing you say Smith sits at the redline, but what I see is "super anticipation", he begins before anyone else transitioning to offense and that leads to him to get behind defenders who have failed to realize that they're no longer on offense but defense.

Most players transition upon puck possession, but from what I've seen, Smith transitions before possession exists, but when he knows they will get the puck. That type of anticipation is what makes him lethal. Anticipation and hockey IQ along w/his hands are his biggest attributes.
I think the issue is most C's are usually leading the backcheck. I loved Pavel Bure and he was always at the redline. Difference is he was a winger and Smith is a center. Most C's have some form of defensive zone responsibility.

You can't ignore Smith's skill. He will likely go Top 5.

Reactions: lanky

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Dvorsky has shown the Habs enough to consider him ahead of Smith.
Slafkovsky - Dvorsky - Mesar

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the issue is most C's are usually leading the backcheck. I loved Pavel Bure and he was always at the redline. Difference is he was a winger and Smith is a center. Most C's have some form of defensive zone responsibility.

Yep. Cherry picking centers aren’t generally well regarded by NHL coaching staffs. Haha.

Ribeiro is actually an interesting comp for him if you replace “worst character flaws imaginable” with “very good character”. But Ribeiro wasn’t a burner. Very slippery. Dual threat. Obviously, Smith is a modern version. The version that grew up with TikTok who does all sorts of amazing stuff that Ribeiro would’ve been beaten to death by his own coaches for even trying in practice.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
biggest issue with Smith is his propensity to sit at the redline waiting for a breakout pass. HIs best comparable may be Keller who was a C with the USNDT only to be moved immediately to wing. Do you like him better or worse as a winger? I think the Habs will be all over Smith. Their management team was with the Rangers and they desperately were trying to trade up to 4OV to take Clayton Keller his draft year.
Part of the reason I don’t comment on much, is my lack of being able watch the complete game. Feeling out the flow and pace of the game. Seeing how players react to the ebbs and flows gives you a stronger sense of wether it was the right play in the moment. I personally see more talent in Smith than Keller at the same age and maybe even right now. Gives me Comrie vibes with that move. One trick but it works everytime.

My favorite player of all time. Watched him as a kid. Preferred Europeans growing up. They preached skill over physicality. That’s crossed the pond.
Yep. Cherry picking centers aren’t generally well regarded by NHL coaching staffs. Haha.

Ribeiro is actually an interesting comp for him if you replace “worst character flaws imaginable” with “very good character”. But Ribeiro wasn’t a burner. Very slippery. Dual threat. Obviously, Smith is a modern version. The version that grew up with TikTok who does all sorts of amazing stuff that Ribeiro would’ve been beaten to death by his own coaches for even trying in practice.
Yeah it’s a different time. Elusiveness and the ability to make elite plays in tight corners is what creates offense in tight games. I don’t think I’ll be able to make a list but there’s guys I’ve watched videos on in the 10-20 range that should be getting more hype. Off to watch Dalibor and his hype.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad