GDT: 2023 trade deadline

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've got these as remote possibles for Vegas. There could be others, of course, feel free to add.

Cheap (to acquire) forward
JVR

Goaltender
Cam Talbot, Joonas Korpisalo

More expensive forward w/term, less likely
Nick Schmaltz, Brock Boeser

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I've got these as remote possibles for Vegas. There could be others, of course, feel free to add.

Cheap (to acquire) forward
JVR

Goaltender
Cam Talbot, Joonas Korpisalo

More expensive forward w/term, less likely
Nick Schmaltz, Brock Boeser
Korpisalo and Talbot are not improvements over what we have - no need unless Brossoit out long-term, and Korpisalo stinks.

OK to JVR and Schmaltz (which by the way means chicken fat in Yiddish).

If Stone forced to retire because of his back, how about Dylan Larkin (and sign long-term)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Schmaltz was far and away the best Coyote when they played VGK. .87PPG the past 4 years against Vegas.
He has almost 25M owed the last 3 years on his deal and a partial NTC kicking in next season. He's definitely getting traded.

ETA: I think the league might be undervaluing a player like him, probably due to Vancouver's year long fire sale affecting the market for wingers. Plus if they have to move him due to his real $$$ he'll be making next year, he might be available for a decent price.

I like the idea of going for Korpi and hoping he has some playoff magic left in him. There's slim pickings, and he might not cost that much to acquire.

Last edited:

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Rentals seem most likely given our cap situation. I wouldn’t rule out a center. I hope Pittsburgh sells or goes for a big fish and they need to move Zucker.

Other possibilities:
Toews
Domi
Bertuzzi
Hoffman
Olofsson
Perron

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Rentals seem most likely given our cap situation. I wouldn’t rule out a center. I hope Pittsburgh sells or goes for a big fish and they need to move Zucker. However my money is on Toews though. He could be had for cheap and we’d be able to load up next year.

The other Manitoban Domi is a possibility personally doesn’t seem like a smart gamble. Bertuzzi is the shiny new toy but may not even be available.

Possible non-rentals include Hoffman, Olofsson, or maybe even Perron.

They should have just signed Perron in the offseason.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Rentals seem most likely given our cap situation. I wouldn’t rule out a center. I hope Pittsburgh sells or goes for a big fish and they need to move Zucker. However my money is on Toews though. He could be had for cheap and we’d be able to load up next year.

The other Manitoban Domi is a possibility personally doesn’t seem like a smart gamble. Bertuzzi is the shiny new toy but may not even be available.

Possible non-rentals include Hoffman, Olofsson, or maybe even Perron.

Toews doesn't want to be traded because he's dealing with health issues. I could see Domi or JVR as cheap rentals that could be had for a 3rd. Bertuzzi would be good but the rumored asking price is a 1st+. No thanks on that.

Perron would be great but I doubt Detroit wants to move him.

Schmaltz was far and away the best Coyote when they played VGK. .87PPG the past 4 years against Vegas.
He has almost 25M owed the last 3 years on his deal and a partial NTC kicking in next season. He's definitely getting traded.

ETA: I think the league might be undervaluing a player like him, probably due to Vancouver's year long fire sale affecting the market for wingers. Plus if they have to move him due to his real $$$ he'll be making next year, he might be available for a decent price.

I like the idea of going for Korpi and hoping he has some playoff magic left in him. There's slim pickings, and he might not cost that much to acquire.
I like Schmaltz but how are you fitting his contract next year? Probably would need to pay someone to take on Martinez and then need to find a top 4 LD for cheap.

Reactions: RapidKnight

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Toews doesn't want to be traded because he's dealing with health issues. I could see Domi or JVR as cheap rentals that could be had for a 3rd. Bertuzzi would be good but the rumored asking price is a 1st+. No thanks on that.

I like Schmaltz but how are you fitting his contract next year? Probably would need to pay someone to take on Martinez and then need to find a top 4 LD for cheap.

Regardless, they need a RW. I'm not terribly optimistic about Stone since Couturier still isn't back and he was shut down around the same time last year for back surgery.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

If they trade out Marchessault for what they can get and Martinez, up to 2m retained, for nothing they could re-sign Barbashev and afford Schmaltz, maybe with a little to spare to accumulate space through the year.

I am thinking they trade Martinez anyway and move Hague up with Pietrangelo. Or move Theodore there and use Hague-Whitecloud and McNabb-Miromanov/Korczak as the bottom two pairings, realizing they may need to get a 3/4D rental at the deadline.

It helps them to start to get younger and build the team around twenty-somethings and Eichel in a retool.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Regardless, they need a RW. I'm not terribly optimistic about Stone since Couturier still isn't back and he was shut down around the same time last year for back surgery.

Don't disagree on either front. It's just tricky adding a big cap hit for next year without knowing if Stone will be able to play. Might be easier to add someone with term in the offseason if Stone tries to come back for the playoffs and realizes he's done.

I would offer Detroit a 1st + Cormier/Chayka for Perron at 50%. He'd be at 2.375 through next year. Or Toffoli for the same type of deal if the Flames sell.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They must have some other move they're considering if the Quick money would be complicated. There seems to be enough smoke that there's probably something to that rumor and Seravalli and Friedman both said the exact same thing about it, they would do it but the money might stop it.

I mean, he makes 5.8 and if Columbus held half that would be 2.9 and we have just over 5 left.

Reading between the lines, whether I think Quick is a move to make or not, that would seem to suggest Blueger isn't the only move for a skater that they're looking at if 2.1 million extra wouldn't be enough.

EDIT: We may even have about 5.8 million in space with sending down Hutchinson, so it really seems like they're still looking at another skater.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
I'd love to get Schmaltz but it seems like a pipe dream and he is apparently injured.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They must have some other move they're considering if the Quick money would be complicated. There seems to be enough smoke that there's probably something to that rumor and Seravalli and Friedman both said the exact same thing about it, they would do it but the money might stop it.

I mean, he makes 5.8 and if Columbus held half that would be 2.9 and we have just over 5 left.

Reading between the lines, whether I think Quick is a move to make or not, that would seem to suggest Blueger isn't the only move for a skater that they're looking at if 2.1 million extra wouldn't be enough.

EDIT: We may even have about 5.8 million in space with sending down Hutchinson, so it really seems like they're still looking at another skater.

The fact that Chicago was willing to retain over 5M over the next couple of years in the McCabe deal just blows my mind. I remember when McCrimmon said 'you don't even ask' to retain on a player with term like Martinez a few years ago.

You have to wonder if Toffoli could be had at around 3M.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019

Vegas Golden Knights
Top Objective: Scoring Winger
Secondary Objective: Goaltending Insurance
Scoop: Vegas added intelligent center and role player Teddy Blueger to their mix on Wednesday, to go along with Ivan Barbashev acquired over the weekend. They still have $5.06 million in Mark Stone’s LTIR space to spend. They could use a winger that could deposit the puck (See: James van Riemsdyk) and also a little goaltending help (See: Jonathan Quick). The Golden Knights were well down the track in trade talks with Columbus for Quick, but needed to clear up a few things on their salary cap before they could make that happen. Vegas isn’t likely to be adding players with term, looking mostly for pure rentals.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Bertuzzi could of been had for our 2023 1st probably. Not sure how I feel about that. Steep but probably a fair price for what we are looking for.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Bertuzzi could of been had for our 2023 1st probably. Not sure how I feel about that. Steep but probably a fair price for what we are looking for.

That would have been a pass for me. The only rental I would have been willing to move the 1st for was Kane. Now for the 1st it needs to be a cheap top 6 RW ie Toffoli or Perron.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
That would have been a pass for me. The only rental I would have been willing to move the 1st for was Kane. Now for the 1st it needs to be a cheap top 6 RW ie Toffoli or Perron.
Fingers crossed. I’ll throw Duclair in the list of possibilities. Florida should do something sooner or later and he’s fast.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Bertuzzi to Boston for a 1st and 4th. Bruins stocking up (Hall on lTIR) for one big run before Bergeron, Krejci et al go to pasture.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Well we’re done now.
Edit: Maybe not didn’t realize they retained.

Last edited:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Any chance Vegas offers Tampa a late round pick in exchange for Smith so Smith is available to the NHL roster if needed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad