WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Clarke was awful and they need some serious help on faceoffs.

Good thing they have the best faceoff guy in the CHL in Owen Beck.

He needs to play more. He had two shifts and his line had two dangerous chances.
Completely agree, the guy is a outright terrible defender. He's been the biggest disappointment for sure. Have liked Del Mastros game

I legit laughed when they brought up Becks faceoff stats when he had only played 1 shift. The team couldn't win a draw yet left him on the bench.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We outshot them by 30 and hit like 6 posts in the game. I don't think there is much to take away from this game to the next. The Slovaks executed their gameplan well, got an unbelievable performance from their goalie and metric shit ton of luck. We very well could lose to the Americans, there are parts of the team that are concerning, but the overall performance of the team was really good....just win a damn faceoff next game.
Insightful perspective. :thumbu:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, Bedard and the PP are masking a team that is not as good as they should be 5-on-5. Lines should be switched up, especially agreed they need to spread out Bedard and Stankoven onto different lines, but not confident in this coaching staff making the right decisions.

I'd leave Stankoven and Bedard together but move Roy. Othmann can do the dirty work decently, but the Wright line has no playmaker. Roy could be the playmaker and Othmann could do the dirty work for Stankoven and Bedard, as he did in the summer for Bedard. I'm fine with Stankoven's line as it is but Wright's line generates almost nothing at even strength. Canada hitting some posts against a goalie of that level shouldn't distract from the team playing poorly. Gaucher is able to push the play and Ostapchuk does the same so that line is alright, but the fourth line is useless unless it's getting in on the forecheck. Would have been nice for them if Bankier's shot that went off the post had been over two inches and in the net.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Breakdown of the time on ice can be found here.

I’ll say it straight up, this coach is going to lose Canada the tournament. Zellweger cannot be played 30 minutes a night, he is nowhere near good enough to handle those minutes. Of course, that’s Zelly’s coach in junior so favouritism is in play.

The minutes need to be spread out more evenly among defensemen, because two of the top three played simply can’t defend. I’d like the top forwards to get a little less time as well, they looked very tired by the end.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
I'd leave Stankoven and Bedard together but move Roy. Othmann can do the dirty work decently, but the Wright line has no playmaker. Roy could be the playmaker and Othmann could do the dirty work for Stankoven and Bedard, as he did in the summer for Bedard. I'm fine with Stankoven's line as it is but Wright's line generates almost nothing at even strength. Canada hitting some posts against a goalie of that level shouldn't distract from the team playing poorly. Gaucher is able to push the play and Ostapchuk does the same so that line is alright, but the fourth line is useless unless it's getting in on the forecheck. Would have been nice for them if Bankier's shot that went off the post had been over two inches and in the net.
Note the biggest Roy fan, but damn I hate Othmann. I don’t want to see him clap his stick on the ice when Bedard got the puck!!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Breakdown of the time on ice can be found here.

I’ll say it straight up, this coach is going to lose Canada the tournament. Zellweger cannot be played 30 minutes a night, he is nowhere near good enough to handle those minutes. Of course, that’s Zelly’s coach in junior so favouritism is in play.

The minutes need to be spread out more evenly among defensemen, because two of the top three played simply can’t defend. I’d like the top forwards to get a little less time as well, they looked very tired by the end.

I was amazed when he threw Clarke right back out there after the third goal. But yeah, they do need to spread the ice time around a bit. The third line played around 10 minutes and the fourth less than that. I understand the desperation but the team will be more effective if rolling the lines more at even strength and pressuring the opposition more. Can't just sit around hoping for Stankoven's line to do something or another power play goal... I think.

Note the biggest Roy fan, but damn I hate Othmann. I don’t want to see him clap his stick on the ice when Bedard got the puck!!
There are a few of them who love clapping for the puck on this team. Othmann has taken some crap but I liked his game in the summer and I've mostly liked it this tournament too. He's willing to get in on the forecheck, hit someone, and hand around near the net.

Reactions: ORRFForever

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Need more guys to step up if we want to beat the US next game. Especially the 19 year olds. Wright and Fantilli too could do something worthwhile. Feels like our whole team is Bedard and Stankoven.

That was Roy's worst game. Felt like the bottom 6 got maybe a shift each in the 3rd. Clarke-Zelleweger just sounds like a dumb pairing to begin with, shouldn't really be on the ice together. As usual even after a win there's plenty to bitch about for the Canadian Junior team. Glad it's not the goalie, Milic was great I thought in that game.
I really like Roy, but yeah it wasn't his best showing tonight.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I really like Roy, but yeah it wasn't his best showing tonight.
Yup.

In a way, you have to feel good - as a Canadian. Tonight was NOT our best night (even Bedard screwed up on Slovakia's 2nd goal) and everyone was snake bitten, yet we won.

Again, we'll know in 48 hours.

Reactions: trilobyte

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Over 20 mins TOI for the entire top 6. I agree that you probably would want to balance that out a little more.

On D a similar story.

Especially would like to see more Korchinski.

Will be really interesting to see how the next game goes. I haven’t watched any of the US games closely so far but they seem pretty dangerous.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Yup.

In a way, you have to feel good - as a Canadian. Tonight was NOT our best night (even Bedard screwed up on Slovakia's 2nd goal) and everyone was snake bitten, yet we won.

Again, we'll know in 48 hours.
It really was a game of inches, even centimetres (thank god for my primary school metric conversion edumacation!). So many pucks shanked off sticks, deflected in the net front area. This game was never in the books for either team. Totally glorious desperation hockey by both squads.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It really was a game of inches, even centimetres (thank god for my primary school metric conversion edumacation!). So many pucks shanked off sticks, deflected in the net front area. This game was never in the books for either team. Totally glorious desperation hockey by both squads.
Amen, brother. Well said.

Reactions: JimmySpaetzle

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Well I thought the offense was better today even if we struggled to score. So many pucks that just missed. The defence was an absolute mess. I was cringing everytime the puck was in our zone. I think I agree with Jack I really don't know what to expect in the semifinal. Although we have lost the last 4 finals to the US plus the 2013 semi final so I'm not too enthusiastic.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A lot of 05’s most likely, but luckily that’s a really good year for canada, even without Bedard included. Korchinski will be back in junior next year imo. Fantilli should go back for another year at Michigan, or a year in North Bay
I was hoping Fantilli would be Captain next year but it will likely be Korchinski.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
That game was ugly. Canada has now played one very strong game against quality opposition and two very shaky games against quality opposition. Slovakia was able to completely execute its gameplan vs Canada even with the shot disparity. Credit to Bedard for putting up such a ridiculous performance all tournament long but there are concerns when Canada isn't on its game. Zellweger and Clarke are the two main puck carriers for Canada but they were both liabilities vs Slovakia. Only Stankoven's line and Gaucher's line did anything at even strength. Wright was fine before tonight but he looked clueless against Slovakia. Othmann has been solid on that line, but Wright is too passive and Guenther looks like an elite complementary player but not a line driver. Honestly Canada's three biggest line drivers all seem to be on Stankoven's line and I would not be against Canada changing things again.

I really would not be surprised by any result against the United States. That team is not all that good, but Canada is not always good either. Wouldn't be surprised to see Canada come out firing and win by four, wouldn't be surprised to see Canada struggle to defend and handle the puck like a grenade while losing by four.
Agreed, however you're not giving credit where it's due to Slovakia. They played a great game and fielded a strong team. Not to mention the posts... unlikely Canada hits that many again.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agreed, however you're not giving credit where it's due to Slovakia. They played a great game and fielded a strong team. Not to mention the posts... unlikely Canada hits that many again.
Slovakia dominated the U.S. so they're a heck of a team.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
This team is way too reliant on Bedard. Strikingly similar to McDavid and the Oilers.

With that being said, Bedard is so ridiculous that he might be able to carry Team Canada to Gold anyway. This is the best performance by a U18 player in WJC history.
Bedard is something unbelievable, but if he wasn't there the team dynamic would be different too. You might think that all the players surrounding him would remain at a performance level we saw this tournament, but I believe that things would change somewhat. Some of the vacuum created by his absence would suck in some greater contributions and stellar play by teammates. Knowing you don't have a Connor Bedard to count on would do something, would it also not have made a difference in roster choice by Hockey Canada, or am I giving them too much credit?

You might think I've had too many tipples of Greenspot Irish Whiskey tonight (I would counter that I haven't had enough...).
Just having fun asking some late night hockey questions :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad