OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
A possibility? They're 5 points up on the outsider Austin FC, ahead of four other teams if you count the play-in round. It'd be a pretty big collapse to not even make the play-ins with the current standings.

What we can all agree on is that they're likelier than Inter Miami to make the playoffs even if Messi was playing like it was 2012 in Barcelona.
Before this road trip they had won all of once on the road. After the loss to SJ, it looked more realistic than not that their playoff hopes were cooked. They've done well to climb back up the table, but the suddenness with which they've done it also tells you how quickly they can fall back down. I'm not counting any chickens yet, but it's encouraging that they've won two in a row (i) at all, and (ii) on the road, albeit against pretty weak teams.

The point I regularly make here when the hyperbole about the team's badness hits a fever pitch also applies when things are going better: MLS has like four really good teams, 2-3 really bad ones, and then everyone else is within a couple points of each other, so everyone is pretty much average and it's hard to make meaningful generalizations.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Why is it I feel like I'm waking up from hibernation every time I get to watch the Whitecaps on TV?

Messi is the harbinger. The MLS has apparently decided that the international market it the goal, the local fanbase be damned. The revenue generated for Miami since Messi signed on is insane and I have no doubt the business model of the MLS is to replicate that event. VWFC either gets on board or is functionally relegated.

I simply can't be arsed to pay attention to a team that I only get to watch play every month or so.

So uh, the Caps are probably going to make the playoffs, yes?

Reactions: Lindgren

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Why is it I feel like I'm waking up from hibernation every time I get to watch the Whitecaps on TV?

Messi is the harbinger. The MLS has apparently decided that the international market it the goal, the local fanbase be damned. The revenue generated for Miami since Messi signed on is insane and I have no doubt the business model of the MLS is to replicate that event. VWFC either gets on board or is functionally relegated.

I simply can't be arsed to pay attention to a team that I only get to watch play every month or so.

So uh, the Caps are probably going to make the playoffs, yes?
If it wasn't official before, it is now. The league is that of the haves and the have nots. The local team is not the good one of those things.

Reactions: platotld

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Really don't understand why this player continues to be sought after. Had the raw talent at a young age but has shown to not have the IQ to be a legit striker.

Really glad to at least free up the DP slot.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Hoilett will be a good option off the bench. Seems most like a Gauld cover to me. Not bad at all.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Massive game for whitecaps tonight if they win they’ll be in sole position in second place with games in hand on everybody above and below .

Currently a top 5 team in the league if you consider calibre of conference and caps g/differential

Cmon vancity get exited for this Cinderella team doesn’t happen here to often

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Massive game for whitecaps tonight if they win they’ll be in sole position in second place with games in hand on everybody above and below .

Currently a top 5 team in the league if you consider calibre of conference and caps g/differential

Cmon vancity get exited for this Cinderella team doesn’t happen here to often
I definitely believe in them this season, but they can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde at times. Though, they've looked a lot better recently. I have hope.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The Whitecaps keeper is such shit.

Edit: Another one. You always feel that every set piece is going in. Takaoka is a below average keeper that has no clue what do with a ball coming into the box.

Last edited:

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
The Whitecaps keeper is such shit.

Edit: Another one. You always feel that every set piece is going in. Takaoka is a below average keeper that has no clue what do with a ball coming into the box.
Definitely the weakest part of the squad.

That said, the Caps were denied a stone-cold penalty. Not the one at the end but the one they checked for a goal. Blackmon got taken out at the knee going for the ball, was a clear foul.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
The Whitecaps have officially qualified for the playoffs. They still have 2 games in the regular season to hopefully get home advantage in the first round.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
The Whitecaps first home playoff game in 6 years will be on Nov. 5 at 4:30pm. Going to that one.

The last game of the season had 25,000 in attendance which is nice to see for the club after a mostly successful season. Gauld really carried the team but they do have some nice pieces and supporting players compared to previous years.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Really fighting to stay in this one!

Edit: Our back end ans goalkeeping is trash. No way we outscore this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yup. It's all over now for sure. Takaoka sucks. Leg 2 goes next week but it would take something crazy to advance.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Lions playoff game on Saturday and Whitecaps playoff game on Sunday. Both games have lower bowl sold out. With the T-Swift announcement for next year, a Big weekend for BC Place

Reactions: Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad