OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I have a feeling we are going to say this about a lot of European clubs as well going forward. You have had money coming from the middle east which aided in the formation of super teams in Europe...now the backers have decided to bring the players to their own backyard and there's infinite amounts of money to accomplish this.

This is all cyclical. They'll get tired of their toys soon enough. Seems like the Saudis want to sportwash everything and just buy everyone in sight. Kind of like what China did a few years ago.

No one's watching the Saudi league. These mega stars will secure the bag for a few years and return to Europe.

Reactions: MS

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is all cyclical. They'll get tired of their toys soon enough. Seems like the Saudis want to sportwash everything and just buy everyone in sight. Kind of like what China did a few years ago.

No one's watching the Saudi league. These mega stars will secure the bag for a few years and return to Europe.

It does seem similar but Saudi Arabia has managed to attract more significant stars and some players in the prime of their careers, and there's an infinite amount of will to make a bid for a WC.

I really hope you're right though, as I have no desire to watch the Saudi League. The highlights where Ronaldo is slugging around the pitch and getting phantom fouls called in his favour makes me sick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is PSG even a team anymore? Lost Messi, Neymar (pending) and Mbappe leaving next year for sure.

What a failed "galaticos" experiment.

It's a weird situation because the rest of the French league is so poor and there is really no challenge or glory from winning there unless you win the UCL. Hard to retain top players when they can get the same money by playing in a more competitive/more watched league.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's a weird situation because the rest of the French league is so poor and there is really no challenge or glory from winning there unless you win the UCL. Hard to retain top players when they can get the same money by playing in a more competitive/more watched league.

I actually followed PSG well before they got bought by Qatar. Fun club to follow especially in the early Ronaldinho days. PSG was also garbage back then, and it was much more competitive with Lyon, Marseilles and Monaco being good teams. Now it's just a feeder league to the EPL, like most leagues in Europe.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Like everything $$$ makes the world go round and soccer superstars are no different. Sad for the game though

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Is there any chance VWFC can compete in a league where competitors are signing elite talent like Messi?
Messi is pretty much an outlier but yeah, we are probably never going to see any high profile player move out this way for many reasons.

Can still compete without those guys. Just need to properly scout talent and invest accordingly. Blowing funds on guys like Cavallini and Cordova was foolish.

edited

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Messi is pretty much an outlier but yeah, we are probably never going to see any high profile player move out this way for many reasons.

Can still compete without those guys. Just need to properly scout talent and invest accordingly. Blowing funds on guys like Cavallini and Cubas was foolish.
Eh.

Cubas is arguably the 2nd most important player on the team.

He is an elite level MLS DM. We haven't had close to that since Laba. Fine with them spending money on players like him.

Cavallini was also worth a punt, in my opinion. Not often you can get a homegrown DP level striker on your roster.

But yeah, this market will never get a player close to the stature of Messi. I want them to sign more Gaulds and Cubas'. Gauld is the best player this club has ever had in the MLS era, in my opinion. The most important upcoming move will be getting him to stick around and not go back to Europe.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Eh.

Cubas is arguably the 2nd most important player on the team.

He is an elite level MLS DM. We haven't had close to that since Laba. Fine with them spending money on players like him.

Cavallini was also worth a punt, in my opinion. Not often you can get a homegrown DP level striker on your roster.

But yeah, this market will never get a player close to the stature of Messi. I want them to sign more Gaulds and Cubas'. Gauld is the best player this club has ever had in the MLS era, in my opinion. The most important upcoming move will be getting him to stick around and not go back to Europe.
My bad. I meant Cordova, who has finally looked okay lately - and that in large part has been due to Gauld playing out of his mind.

The issue with Cordova and Cava is you need a strong MF to put them into position to score. The counter style of game Canada and the Whitecaps play was never suited for Cava who needs time and space to position himself in the box. Same goes for Cordova.

Agree though. Gauld is the best player I have seen in the VWFC uniform. Really a treat to watch him play...

Reactions: Petey O

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Heard next to nothing about Vancouver FC in the Canadian Premier League. Assume they're struggling like a lot of first year teams on the pitch and at the gate.

Hopefully Canada's pro soccer can emulate some of the wild successes of the Canadian Elite Basketball League. There are some serious round-ballers in that league and the fans are flocking to indoor arenas to watch them play. Makes you realize just how many talented basketball players there are out there.

Maybe some day the CPL can develop more players for the Whitecaps and other MLS teams.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Heard next to nothing about Vancouver FC in the Canadian Premier League. Assume they're struggling like a lot of first year teams on the pitch and at the gate.

Hopefully Canada's pro soccer can emulate some of the wild successes of the Canadian Elite Basketball League. There are some serious round-ballers in that league and the fans are flocking to indoor arenas to watch them play. Makes you realize just how many talented basketball players there are out there.
Flocking might be a bit much...

But I did attend my first Blackjacks game this year and I have to say the quality of play was pretty decent and the fans were pretty enthusiastic, even if it's only a few thousand in an otherwise pretty large arena (where the 67s play).

I also attended my first CPL game, in Halifax of all places, and the fan support there is outstanding -- it is the closest thing they have to a major league team, after all -- but it still does feel relatively lower level, even compared to MLS. (This isn't helped by the very slapdash nature of all the facilities -- prefab backless bleachers, food trucks and portapotties). It was certainly still enjoyable, though, especially with the locals really into it.

A team in the Lower Mainland, especially a farther-flung corner of it, is never going to capture the same experience, being in a market with bigger-time leagues and distractions -- sort of like Scarborough above (who actually won the championship). Apart from the fact that Vancouverites are already pretty tepid in sports support to begin with.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

Maybe some day the CPL can develop more players for the Whitecaps and other MLS teams.
I'm a season ticket holder for Vancouver FC, and I've enjoyed the experience. They've certainly struggled to win games (as is probably expected for a new club), but the matches have been mostly competitive, and it's a fun day out.

There is certainly room to grow, on and off the pitch, but there is real potential. The club seem committed to fielding young, local talent and supplementing that with veteran players that can help the team grow and become competitive.

There's a boisterous supporters section, which adds to the atmosphere as well. The facilities do have a bit of a temporary feel (think of the new Empire Stadium a decade ago), but there are numerous food vendors, craft beer, activities for kids, etc.

I'll very likely renew for next season. I'd certainly recommend checking out a game and giving it a try. I think tickets start at around 20 bucks.

Reactions: garbageteam

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If this team falters and misses the MLS playoffs, is that 'it' for Vanni?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That may have just cost them the playoffs, as that was their last home game for like 4 years.

I got free tickets to watch it.

It was just frustrating. Lots of possession and weak chances but you knew it wasn't going to be their night after the 50th minute.

Playoffs aren't happening. It would be a one and done affair anyways.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
So Herdman is gone. Any thoughts on who might replace him?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Herdman is gone. Any thoughts on who might replace him?
Before they announce anyone to replace him, something has to be done about the mess at Soccer Canada.

What is the story with this organization? When scandal enveloped Hockey Canada, the Federal government and sponsors stepped in and brought the hammer down. The result was a complete house-cleaning and a badly needed re-set.

Any chance of a similar outcome for Canada's major governing soccer body? I mean how much worse does it have to get?

Herdman has been the face of both the men's and women's program and has been instrumental in their ascent from also-ran to threats in CONCACAF. It'll be impossible to replace him. But I guess they have to find somebody.

And they better be quick......Canada is the co-host of the next World Cup and 2026 is a lot closer than it seems now.

Reactions: Lindgren

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Before they announce anyone to replace him, something has to be done about the mess at Soccer Canada.

What is the story with this organization? When scandal enveloped Hockey Canada, the Federal government and sponsors stepped in and brought the hammer down. The result was a complete house-cleaning and a badly needed re-set.

Any chance of a similar outcome for Canada's major governing soccer body? I mean how much worse does it have to get?

Herdman has been the face of both the men's and women's program and has been instrumental in their ascent from also-ran to threats in CONCACAF. It'll be impossible to replace him. But I guess they have to find somebody.

And they better be quick......Canada is the co-host of the next World Cup and 2026 is a lot closer than it seems now.

It's a product of the political climate in Canada. You cannot separate the two. People continue to get into government and non-profit organizations and act on their own self-interests. I get the guiding principals behind establishing an entity like the Canada Soccer Business (CSB) but there needed to be stiff audits and conditions attached to it...What it turned into, was pretty much a for-profit arm syphoning money from Soccer Canada (this includes taxpayer money), which was bound to happen when they signed a 10 year deal. Nick Bontis knew what he was doing in 2018....

Soccer Canada needs to get out of the deal with the CSB.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Great win for the caps tonight 4th place

Thought they were done after loss at home

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Great win for the caps tonight 4th place

Thought they were done after loss at home
I thought for sure they’d rue those first half chances that they couldn’t convert – they looked to have pretty heavy legs the second half, and their passing was sloppy all game, but full credit for hanging on.

The home loss to SJ is still a huge missed opportunity, but getting these road wins means the season wasn’t lost there like it could have been.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This Caps team is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. The lose the games you figure they'll win; and then go on the road and win the games you figure they have no chance in.

But against all odds they're climbing the standings in the Western Conference. Playoffs are a possibility, when it looked hopeless earlier in the season.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This Caps team is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. The lose the games you figure they'll win; and then go on the road and win the games you figure they have no chance in.

But against all odds they're climbing the standings in the Western Conference. Playoffs are a possibility, when it looked hopeless earlier in the season.

A possibility? They're 5 points up on the outsider Austin FC, ahead of four other teams if you count the play-in round. It'd be a pretty big collapse to not even make the play-ins with the current standings.

What we can all agree on is that they're likelier than Inter Miami to make the playoffs even if Messi was playing like it was 2012 in Barcelona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad