OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
For those wondering:

and also

I'd be curious to know what the additions of Laryea and Adekugbe mean in the immediate future for the Whitecaps backline.

Saidykhan is only 19 so I wonder how long it will be before he's expected to be a regular on the top team.

Last edited:

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Laryea and Adekugbe are solid additions. Solves the wingback problem there, makes the Caps harder to play against as Laryea is very good at getting under the skin of an opponent.

Will be interesting to see what formation they go with but the Caps have put together a very solid team.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Wow, talk about solidifying the defense (and midfield for that matter).

This is an MLS cup capable roster, if Cordoba continues his upward trajectory. They have all the pieces. Nothing too fancy, but just a solid all around team as long as they buy into Vanni's system.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Realistically the roster is still a ways off from what the true contenders/big spenders put together (let’s be honest, there is disproportionate celebration just because these guys have Cdn national team ties), but the signal of actually making moves in a transfer window – particularly when Gressel’s absence was foisted upon them – is such a refreshing change.

I still think the team will struggle to score without Gressel (especially if Gauld is not on the field due to injury or sub), and with all the road games upcoming I wonder if we see a change to more conservative tactics.

Also keep in mind that a common critique of the Whitecaps over the years is that they do have MLS-comparable on-field talent, but not great coaching. It will be interesting to see how the pieces come together.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Realistically the roster is still a ways off from what the true contenders/big spenders put together (let’s be honest, there is disproportionate celebration just because these guys have Cdn national team ties), but the signal of actually making moves in a transfer window – particularly when Gressel’s absence was foisted upon them – is such a refreshing change.

I still think the team will struggle to score without Gressel (especially if Gauld is not on the field due to injury or sub), and with all the road games upcoming I wonder if we see a change to more conservative tactics.

Also keep in mind that a common critique of the Whitecaps over the years is that they do have MLS-comparable on-field talent, but not great coaching. It will be interesting to see how the pieces come together.
I think you're underestimating the calibre of Adekugbe and Laryea. The Caps' biggest problem has been defense this season, and they seem to put up enough offense. Gressel, I agree, is a big loss, but I'd much rather have Laryea and Adekugbe so Martins and Raposo don't get as much game time. Both of them are no slouches offensively as well.

A big benefit to them being Canadian is that the club will have less incentive to keep Teibert around, as well.

You can win in this league against the flashy, high spending teams. It isn't all about spending millions on DPs. The most important pieces the Caps have, that not every team has, is a superstar CAM in Gauld, and a superstar DM in Cubas. Solidify the defense around them, and Cordoba keeps improving? That's a great MLS calibre team on paper. Obviously it's a wait and see thing, but Laryea and Adekugbe are definitely capable of fitting into Vanni's pressing system.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Solid moves. Really happy as the Whitecaps have had massive issues locking games down.

On attack....Teibert has to be a last resort bench player going forward. Cannot have a timid low skilled MF passing the ball back on a counter.

Big moves. Team is having a decent year and hopefully they can start pulling in a few more fans.

Really need some post-season success.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
On attack....Teibert has to be a last resort bench player going forward. Cannot have a timid low skilled MF passing the ball back on a counter.
I mean, he already is. The guy has barely played this season... and when he does, it's always cringey when Gauld has to hand him the captain's armband. I'm kind of surprised they haven't just formalized Gauld, they could have made a moment out of it.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I mean, he already is. The guy has barely played this season... and when he does, it's always cringey when Gauld has to hand him the captain's armband. I'm kind of surprised they haven't just formalized Gauld, they could have made a moment out of it.

I know he's on a reduced role but I would rather have a colonoscopy than watch 5 minutes of Teibert.

I really hope they lock down Gauld. Best VWFC player in the modern era.

Reactions: Frostage and MS

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Once they subbed Teibert on and took Gauld off I knew they would lose. Either in the match or penalties. Gauld is automatic on PKs. Imagine him shooting over Veselinovic there..
Gauld was apparantly playing on an injured knee and was limping from 50 min onwards.

There were 3 instances of Teibert taking the ball past midfield, having an opening but running laterally and passing the ball back to a RB/CB.

Now I will say that Teibert, from all accounts is all class off the pitch, so much so that I legitimately feel bad for the amount of hate he gets. To me, it's the franchise that has done this by trying to force him to be the VWFC poster boy and a reflection of how incompetent this organization is. Can I fault the guy for taking 400k?

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Gauld was apparantly playing on an injured knee and was limping from 50 min onwards.

There were 3 instances of Teibert taking the ball past midfield, having an opening but running laterally and passing the ball back to a RB/CB.

Now I will say that Teibert, from all accounts is all class off the pitch, so much so that I legitimately feel bad for the amount of hate he gets. To me, it's the franchise that has done this by trying to force him to be the VWFC poster boy and a reflection of how incompetent this organization is. Can I fault the guy for taking 400k?

No you can't fault Teibert for taking the money but I reckon you can fault Robinson for trying to convert a winger with one foot to a center mid. Not sure what he was thinking but Teibert should send him nice presents every year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the additions of the two Canadian World Cuppers, where is this Caps team right now? I defer to people who follow this team a lot more closely than I do--who opine that this is the best Caps team in recent history.

So are they a playoff team again in the Western Conference?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
With the additions of the two Canadian World Cuppers, where is this Caps team right now? I defer to people who follow this team a lot more closely than I do--who opine that this is the best Caps team in recent history.

So are they a playoff team again in the Western Conference?
Borderline before, and still borderline, keeping in mind it takes a fair bit in MLS to get either above or below that classification. The Whitecaps are historically at the bottom edge of that middle-of-the-pack that two thirds of the league are in… always in the race, but you know somehow they will be one of the first out of it. Every so often (2015 and 2017) something breaks a bit more fortunate for them and they have a “good” season, but the truth is that in pretty much every season they’ve played they have always been pretty close to MLS average (like everyone else) but playing with some built-in handicaps that will always prevent them from being a powerhouse. But in spite of what fans say, they also spend enough that they shouldn’t be a total bottom feeder.

Arguably every season of the club has been the best team ever on paper… the problem has always been the league (and especially its newer teams in high-profile places) has been shooting upward much faster, so they have been losing in relative terms.

I’m glad they finally made some adds in an in-season transfer window, but realistically I’m not expecting team performance to be impacted as much as some are hoping. I think Gressel was absolutely huge this season and I think losing him is going to hurt a lot, particularly on offense. Maybe the two backs make up for it on defense, but this could also mean more of grinding out scoreless draws as a tradeoff.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Jesus Christ our CPL team sucks. I actually enjoyed the 2 matches I watched live but this season has gone straight to hell and the quality just stinks now.

This region and football success do not mix.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Is PSG even a team anymore? Lost Messi, Neymar (pending) and Mbappe leaving next year for sure.

What a failed "galaticos" experiment.
I have a feeling we are going to say this about a lot of European clubs as well going forward. You have had money coming from the middle east which aided in the formation of super teams in Europe...now the backers have decided to bring the players to their own backyard and there's infinite amounts of money to accomplish this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad