Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VIII - Chaim Bloom FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Given they were technically still in the race at that point, I can see why he'd get cold feet on trading Turner, though that would've been a great and much needed return.

Not selling high on Paxton and Kenley is inexcusable in retrospect. But again, I think he kind of was in a no-win position at the deadline. If he sold everyone when they were only about 2.5 or 3 games out at that point, they'd be killing him and the stands would've been emptied a month earlier. But given what's transpired since then, it obviously would've been the right thing to do.
Well there were three approaches

1. Don't believe in the team and sell everything you can
2. Buy legit pieces to make a playoff push
3. Do absolutely nothing, talk about how the percentages aren't great but then also hype up the injured guys who are coming back

I think he misread his job security. He probably thought he could afford to be indecisive for the 2nd straight deadline and be fine for next year. But I also wonder if ownership would have been ok with him selling off everything the last two years. We'll never know. It might just be that they saw he can't make a decision on anything and realized he can't handle the job. The mixed messaging sent via option 3 was confusing. I think we very well could have been in the same spot next year where they are a middling team at the deadline and he once again can't make a decision on what to do. He wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Given they were technically still in the race at that point, I can see why he'd get cold feet on trading Turner, though that would've been a great and much needed return.

Not selling high on Paxton and Kenley is inexcusable in retrospect. But again, I think he kind of was in a no-win position at the deadline. If he sold everyone when they were only about 2.5 or 3 games out at that point, they'd be killing him and the stands would've been emptied a month earlier. But given what's transpired since then, it obviously would've been the right thing to do.
Yeah he’s likely fired either way

And they hardly need another left-handed bat.
That’s also a big time factor too- especially if they lose Turner and Duvall

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’ve been dead since they punted with the lead against houston, I can’t care about the results anymore. I just want Wilyer to keep hitting

Rafaela missing that final out was something tho. The infectious bad defense virus has taken our sweet baby boy

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They’ve been dead since they punted with the lead against houston, I can’t care about the results anymore. I just want Wilyer to keep hitting
Please. They were dead before that. Like when they got swept at home by the Blue Jays. This team was always just far enough away from the WC that they were never actually in the hunt. The game you are talking about had no impact on their fate.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He’s not just another left hand batter. what if Ted Williams was alive and a FA, would you say nah we’re good in last we need a right handed batter

Yes, I would say no to a 29-year-old Ted Williams if the Sox had to pay him more than what Ohtani is going get as a free agent. There is a much bigger need on the mound than for another below average fielding outfielder.

Reactions: Mr Cartmenez

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
And they hardly need another left-handed bat.

You don't say no to a generational talent. You find a way to make it work and dump the players who may be a better "system fit" to the wayside and make way for the best player available. If the Red Sox don't go all in on Ohtani, I will get pissed. This team needs a generational superstar to justify the current ticket prices.

Yes, I would say no to a 29-year-old Ted Williams if the Sox had to pay him more than what Ohtani is going get as a free agent. There is a much bigger need on the mound than for another below average fielding outfielder.

How about, and this is just a crazy thought here, using the pitchers you drafted in the minors to fill out the gaps to see what you got? I thought Bloom was a genius who was able to restock the minors with bundles of talent. You telling me the Sox don't have a single pitcher since Bello in that well of prospects that's MLB ready after all that bullshit?

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You don't say no to a generational talent. You find a way to make it work and dump the players who may be a better "system fit" to the wayside and make way for the best player available. If the Red Sox don't go all in on Ohtani, I will get pissed. This team needs a generational superstar to justify the current ticket prices.

How about, and this is just a crazy thought here, using the pitchers you drafted in the minors to fill out the gaps to see what you got? I thought Bloom was a genius who was able to restock the minors with bundles of talent. You telling me the Sox don't have a single pitcher since Bello in that well of prospects that's MLB ready after all that bullshit?

just give us another JBJ who bats .200 and makes good catches. thankfully bloom is gone and the sox can make a splash. I bet Bloom would trade Ted Williams as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EvilDead

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That is correct.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love Ohtani but issues are starting pitching (he’s hurt) and defense (he doesn’t play field)

Team strength - DH types

Like buying a mint corvette you see in someone’s yard for sale on the way to Home Depot with the money you were going to spend on a needed washer, dryer, and dishwasher

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think I broke a personal record when I scored an Immaculate Grid answer that was 0.003% rarity

A's/Yankees - Johnny Sain. I knew the Yankees used the Kansas City A's as a farm team during the Arnold Johnson years, and I had known that Sain ended up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad