Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1693287738635.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Red Sox had a one-run lead against the team they are chasing in the American League wild card race through five innings on Monday night.

Then they gave up.

How else can you put it? Journeyman righthander Kyle Barraclough was left in the game to allow 11 runs over 4⅓ innings in what ended as an embarrassing 13-5 loss against the Houston Astros.

In what is Chaim Bloom’s fourth season as chief baseball officer, the Red Sox entered an important game without any lefthanded relievers in the bullpen and at least four righthanders who were deemed unavailable.

That left manager Alex Cora with little choice but to wear out a pitcher who was called up from Triple A Worcester before the game and will surely be sent back on Tuesday, if not released.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pivetta and Schreiber are the only 2 guys that should have been unavailable. Maybe Whitlock due to handling him with caution coming back from injury. Still plenty there. Hell I’m pretty sure Llovera was stirring at one point, THATS a better option in that spot

This isn’t f***ing May

Bernardino got covid at a really inopportune time. I was thinking maybe that was the reason why so many ppl were allegedly unavailable but they were all sitting together

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
As an Astros fan, i watched this game in disbelief.

I felt bad for Barraclough seemingly getting the Patrick Roy treatment; but from what I read he was maybe willingly taking one for the team?

Dusty Baker let the Phillies run up the score in Game Three of the World Series on Lance McCullers. The next game with a rested bullpen, the Astros threw a combined no-hitter on their way to winning three straight.

If the Red Sox win the next two, this will be forgotten. They could then tie the Astros for the last wildcard spot and own the tie-breaker.

But conceding this game is perplexing. Javier is a walk machine, is often behind in the count, and has traffic every inning. Plus the Red Sox had a lead midway through.

So it'll be interesting seeing how this plays out. Many Astros fans hope the Sox fire Cora and want the Astros to bring him back.

Side note: main board posters often discuss how they've met NHL players and were surprised how small they were. I once met Jose Altuve at a sporting goods store. Diminutive is putting it mildly. That he does what he does, especially the home runs, is incredible.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Monday night was so bad that Dave O'Brien and Tom Caron didn't even try to sugarcoat the debacle.

Bloom was a mistake and it is important to remember he was never the top voice in Tampa Bay. Dombrowski can be faulted over the Sale extension BUT ownership gave the green light. I will concede that COVID wiping out minor league baseball in 2000 hurt Bloom but the last 2 years tell me he is overmatched.

Is there a fix? Maybe

1 - John Henry buys out Tom Werner.
2 - John Henry tells his wife the Globe is yours, forget the Red Sox exists for now.
3 - Bring back Larry Lucchino and Charles Steinberg from exile in Worcester.
4 - Give an ownership stake and total baseball control to Theo Epstein.

BTW I feel for Sam Kennedy who is approachable - I know this first hand with NESN issues. The problem is FSG has made him into this

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It really shouldn't be that difficult to find out if Cora was telling the truth or if this was him protesting/making a statement. Not difficult at all. If we have any reporters that still give a damn.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Monday night was so bad that Dave O'Brien and Tom Caron didn't even try to sugarcoat the debacle.

Bloom was a mistake and it is important to remember he was never the top voice in Tampa Bay. Dombrowski can be faulted over the Sale extension BUT ownership gave the green light. I will concede that COVID wiping out minor league baseball in 2000 hurt Bloom but the last 2 years tell me he is overmatched.

Is there a fix? Maybe

1 - John Henry buys out Tom Werner.
2 - John Henry tells his wife the Globe is yours, forget the Red Sox exists for now.
3 - Bring back Larry Lucchino and Charles Steinberg from exile in Worcester.
4 - Give an ownership stake and total baseball control to Theo Epstein.

BTW I feel for Sam Kennedy who is approachable - I know this first hand with NESN issues. The problem is FSG has made him into this

The "tomorrow" attitude is in many ways more infuriating than scaling back the payroll. When you hire someone from Tampa they should be able to handle the resources involved with even having a top 15 payroll and be further along in year 4 than what we are seeing right now. Theo made his fair share of big blunders but I would be absolutely be on board for round two of him here. Would John Henry bury his pride and make a run at him? Probably not, he probably costs too much.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just came across this on ESPN. The Red Sox had a 30% chance of making the playoffs before the deadline. Now? 7.5%

I guess that's what happens when you only acquire Luis Urias who is hitting .220 with the Red Sox and has the same -.2 WAR he had with Milwaukee. Again, why would the Milwaukee Brewers give up a guy who is dirt cheap.

Trevor Story returned to hit .206 with a putrid .250 OBP.

"With an uptick in the power department, the Boston offense has been going along just fine. Urias hit two grand slams (on consecutive pitches) but hasn't done anything else. Still, the Red Sox have been turning the scoreboard even with some key hitters like Trevor Story, Masataka Yoshida and Jarren Duran struggling since the deadline. The pitching hasn't been good, however, especially the non-Kenley Jansen sectors of the bullpen. Meanwhile, James Paxton and Chris Sale have a combined 5.59 ERA over eight starts since the deadline, leaving it to the youngsters to prop up the Red Sox's rotation. Boston has been .500-ish over the month of August, and since the Sox had to make up ground just to get into wild-card position, that mark isn't going to cut it."

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The "no pitchers available" fiasco overshadowed the usual Red Sox clown show that preceeded it. Casas drops a popup, Duvall totally misplays ball hit over his head (again), Sale throws one away to first base, Wong allows two balls to get by him on the same batter (with a runner on third).

Despite all that, Duvall hits a Yogi Berra-type homer on a pitch nearly over his head and the Sox lead going into the 6th inning. And then, the rest of the story.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is gonna hurt some people but they're talking about this on radio now and it seems like it's entirely plausible guys were ruled out last night and this wasn't some sabotage act from Cora. But like I said, reporters should be able to figure this out.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I refuse to believe they went into last night's game with only Sale and Bearclaw.

My ASS.

Alex Cora punted that game as a f*** you. Oh how I wish there was cameras in the clubhouse because their faces when Cora kept him in was of shock. I normally like AC. But last night? His face of no concern. I didn't like that. Nope. There's something going on here. And it's embarrassing to put the team like that. We were winning. And the excuse was "we only had 2 available players"? Nope. I don't believe that. And *IF* that's true. Terrible management by the team then.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I refuse to believe they went into last night's game with only Sale and Bearclaw.
This isn't what's being reported. Apparently Martin and Kenley were available. So the question is how do you manage the game from the point Sale has to exit. I don't care if Sale gets hurt again. If there's anyone to keep out there and run into the ground it's him. But either way this doesn't appear to be some master plan by Cora to sabotage the game.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Pivetta and Schreiber are the only 2 guys that should have been unavailable. Maybe Whitlock due to handling him with caution coming back from injury. Still plenty there. Hell I’m pretty sure Llovera was stirring at one point, THATS a better option in that spot

This isn’t f***ing May

Bernardino got covid at a really inopportune time. I was thinking maybe that was the reason why so many ppl were allegedly unavailable but they were all sitting together
People are still sitting out with Covid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad