Patriots/NFL 2023 Regular Season Part 3: Playing Out the String or How I Learned to Stop Caring and Embrace the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm all in on MHJ in the draft

The two top QBs are more in the Carson Palmer range as far as top of the draft QBs go. Good, possibly pro bowl guys, but not enough to single-handedly resurrect an offense. They're not looking like Bradys, Mannings, Lucks, or even Burrowses.

Marvin Harrison Jr. however is in the elite tier as far as WRs go. More of a Julio Jones type. I've seen people saying he's better than his father.

For me, you get out of the gutter on offense a lot more quickly by signing a journeyman QB (or even keeping Mac if there's a new coaching staff as people are thinking) and drafting MHJ than you would by drafting one of these QBs and trying to sign WRs off the scrap heap. At least that's my opinion.

Pats currently have no WRs worth getting excited about. And which free agent is going to look at Mac/Zappe or whichever unproven QB we draft and want to sign here? Especially knowing if they're the #1 here they're drawing double coverage because they have no support, meaning their numbers go down and their next contract has less leverage to it. But if you have Harrison as an elite #1 drawing all the attention form the defense, you're going to see a lot of good free agent WRs wanting to sign here and line up on the other side of the field with more open space. Shit, sign one decent lineman and one good WR, and I think even Mac Jones could take this team to a wild card next year if MHJ is what he's being built up to be.
In the past 10 years there have been 4 WRs taken in the Top 5 of the draft.

Sammy Watkins
Amari Cooper
Corey Davis (this is not a typo)
Jamar Chase

Reactions: Oates2Neely

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
That only goes to show that prospects like Harrison don't come around often.

There hasn't been this much hype over a receiver in a long time.
The other option out there is trading the pick for an established stud WR. Kinda like Philly did with AJ Brown a couple years ago. Still gotta figure out who’s gonna throw him the ball, though..

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The other option out there is trading the pick for an established stud WR. Kinda like Philly did with AJ Brown a couple years ago. Still gotta figure out who’s gonna throw him the ball, though..
Bears did a similar thing last year when they got DJ Moore and still only had to move down a couple of spots. I actually think that’s the way to go if you can find a team willing to make a deal.

MJH is a great prospect, but the drop off in quality in the WR position from 1-20 is not like it is with other positions.

GB is playing right now with a rookie 2nd, 5th, and an undrafted FA as their WR corps, with a 2nd and 5th from last year injured.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm all in on MHJ in the draft

The two top QBs are more in the Carson Palmer range as far as top of the draft QBs go. Good, possibly pro bowl guys, but not enough to single-handedly resurrect an offense. They're not looking like Bradys, Mannings, Lucks, or even Burrowses.

Marvin Harrison Jr. however is in the elite tier as far as WRs go. More of a Julio Jones type. I've seen people saying he's better than his father.

For me, you get out of the gutter on offense a lot more quickly by signing a journeyman QB (or even keeping Mac if there's a new coaching staff as people are thinking) and drafting MHJ than you would by drafting one of these QBs and trying to sign WRs off the scrap heap. At least that's my opinion.

Pats currently have no WRs worth getting excited about. And which free agent is going to look at Mac/Zappe or whichever unproven QB we draft and want to sign here? Especially knowing if they're the #1 here they're drawing double coverage because they have no support, meaning their numbers go down and their next contract has less leverage to it. But if you have Harrison as an elite #1 drawing all the attention form the defense, you're going to see a lot of good free agent WRs wanting to sign here and line up on the other side of the field with more open space. Shit, sign one decent lineman and one good WR, and I think even Mac Jones could take this team to a wild card next year if MHJ is what he's being built up to be.
Then you become the Atlanta Falcons. 1st round WR, 1st round RB, offensive minded coach, no reliable QB and you’re a bottom feeder.

Mac Jones sucks. He’ll be a career backup somewhere else and make a great living doing it.

Reactions: The National

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Then you become the Atlanta Falcons. 1st round WR, 1st round RB, offensive minded coach, no reliable QB and you’re a bottom feeder.

Mac Jones sucks. He’ll be a career backup somewhere else and make a great living doing it.
I think they need to build around a QB which you CAN get in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, or sign a vet. You need to go offensive player. We need a #1 WR. I'd stay away of the 1st round QB's.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think they need to build around a QB which you CAN get in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, or sign a vet. You need to go offensive player. We need a #1 WR. I'd stay away of the 1st round QB's.
It’s all a coin flip imo. Unless you have a few amazing scouts who follow a kid and see something great in him. Chiefs scored Mahomes at 10th overall. There have been a great number of QB’s drafted early who have stunk. Recent history shows us plenty of examples. Carolina drafting Bryce Young and leaving Stroud for Houston. It’s all luck. I’d rather gamble on a QB than a WR. How many WR have been drafted top 3 in the past 15 years who went onto become cornerstones of a franchise?

I’d take my chances on a Maye or Daniels with the 3 pick, and attempt to sign a Tee Higgins type in free agency. As opposed to signing Kirk Cousins to 35-45 million per year and drafting Harrison Jr. Cousins & Jefferson are a good duo but they haven’t gotten very far together.

And let’s not forget that the Pats may have some WR options at 34th overall.

Reactions: Mione134

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Packers in the playoffs and I’m thrilled. f*** You, Aaron Rodgers. This franchise has ALWAYS been larger than its individual players.

So happy for Jordan Love. That guy had the entire weight of a franchise on his shoulders, and he battled and kept getting better, week over week.

Reactions: Zilo44

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Wide Receivers:

2017:
Cory Davis 5th overall
Mike Williams 7th overall
John Ross 9th overall

2018:
DJ Moore 24th overall
Calvin Ridley 26th overall

2019:
Marquise Brown 25th overall
N’Keal Harry 32nd overall
Deebo Samuel 36th overall
AJ Brown 51st overall
DK Metcalf 64th overall

2020:
Henry Ruggs 12th overall
Jerry Jeudy 15th overall
Cee Dee Lamb 17th overall
Jalen Reagor 21st overall
Justin Jefferson 22nd overall
Brandon Aiyuk 25th overall
Tee Higgins 33 overall
Michael Pittman 34th overall

2021:
Ja’Marr Chase 5th overall
Jaylen Waddle 6th overall
DeVonta Smith 10th overall
Kadarius Toney 20th overall
Rashod Bateman 27th overall

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Barring injury, I think he’s bound for a Hall of Fame career. I’m not nearly as sure about any of the QBs in this draft.
His dad was a first ballot HoFer and most scouts are saying that Jr. is more athletic and a better route runner than Sr. That's absurd. I don't know how he's not the clear cut #1 this draft, even if the Bears and Skins really want a QB.

I just saw a mock draft that had us drafting Jayden Daniels at 3 and MHJ going to Arizona at 4. If that happens I will renounce my fandom.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
they say mcdaniels is terrible but this Vegas QB looks good and he also drafted Decker and Demarious Thomas and Moreno in the past.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
His dad was a first ballot HoFer and most scouts are saying that Jr. is more athletic and a better route runner than Sr. That's absurd. I don't know how he's not the clear cut #1 this draft, even if the Bears and Skins really want a QB.

I just saw a mock draft that had us drafting Jayden Daniels at 3 and MHJ going to Arizona at 4. If that happens I will renounce my fandom.
His dad played with Peyton Manning.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So are the Pats guaranteed a top 3 pick?

Have to assume Chicago goes Williams, Washington with Maye. So essentially Pats left to choose Harrison Jr, Jayden Daniels, or an o-lineman in Alt/ Fashanu.

I'm all in on MHJ at #3 as well, he's a special talent
What would be wild is Patriots trade a 3rd rounder for Fields and draft MHJ at 3

That’s one way to get the Patriots back on prime time

With that D and their FA $ …..

Bears are in amazing situation

I'd be surprised if Chicago doesn't take Harrison Jr 1st OA. Feels like they'll stick with Fields and get Harrison Jr to go with him
Yeh I’m thinking same but they want to get mhj but move back which may not be possible

Regardless the Patriots are going to be super interesting the next 365 days lol

• Wow
Reactions: TimeZone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad