Patriots/NFL 2023 Regular Season Part 3: Playing Out the String or How I Learned to Stop Caring and Embrace the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
If both the Patriots and Commanders lose today then the trio of Falcons, Bears and Broncos winning. Falcons, Bears and Raiders or Falcons, Packers and Broncos are what the Pats need to happen this week to pick 2nd.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If both the Patriots and Commanders lose today then the trio of Falcons, Bears and Broncos winning. Falcons, Bears and Raiders or Falcons, Packers and Broncos are what the Pats need to happen this week to pick 2nd.
It's still absolutely bonkers that SOS is the tiebreaker for this when the Patriots have literally lost to Washington.

You'd think H2H would be first if it applied, then SOS afterwards if not.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
So are the Pats guaranteed a top 3 pick?

Have to assume Chicago goes Williams, Washington with Maye. So essentially Pats left to choose Harrison Jr, Jayden Daniels, or an o-lineman in Alt/ Fashanu.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012

Have to assume Chicago goes Williams, Washington with Maye. So essentially Pats left to choose Harrison Jr, Jayden Daniels, or an o-lineman in Alt/ Fashanu.
I would not remove Penix out of the equation with a strong Monday night game

Reactions: TimeZone

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
It's still absolutely bonkers that SOS is the tiebreaker for this when the Patriots have literally lost to Washington.

You'd think H2H would be first if it applied, then SOS afterwards if not.
It is dumb when head to head can be used. Unless they pull off the huge upset against the Cowboys, the teams the Commanders had on their schedule losing 1 or 2 more games is the difference in where the pick goes instead of using the actual game between the two teams.

A lot can change but right now i don't know how you don't take Marvin Harrison Jr if Williams and Maye are off the board. I would rather the qb but Harrison is the best wr prospect in years on a team that needs difference making pass catchers.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

With the number of holes in the Pats roster, I don’t think you can rule out them trading down a couple of spots, for additional picks. That’s definitely a realistic option.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm all in on MHJ in the draft

The two top QBs are more in the Carson Palmer range as far as top of the draft QBs go. Good, possibly pro bowl guys, but not enough to single-handedly resurrect an offense. They're not looking like Bradys, Mannings, Lucks, or even Burrowses.

Marvin Harrison Jr. however is in the elite tier as far as WRs go. More of a Julio Jones type. I've seen people saying he's better than his father.

For me, you get out of the gutter on offense a lot more quickly by signing a journeyman QB (or even keeping Mac if there's a new coaching staff as people are thinking) and drafting MHJ than you would by drafting one of these QBs and trying to sign WRs off the scrap heap. At least that's my opinion.

Pats currently have no WRs worth getting excited about. And which free agent is going to look at Mac/Zappe or whichever unproven QB we draft and want to sign here? Especially knowing if they're the #1 here they're drawing double coverage because they have no support, meaning their numbers go down and their next contract has less leverage to it. But if you have Harrison as an elite #1 drawing all the attention form the defense, you're going to see a lot of good free agent WRs wanting to sign here and line up on the other side of the field with more open space. Shit, sign one decent lineman and one good WR, and I think even Mac Jones could take this team to a wild card next year if MHJ is what he's being built up to be.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Congratulation Pats you have become the laughing stock of the NFL again in just three year after Brady.

Welcome back to reality

Reactions: LSCII

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I'm all in on MHJ in the draft

The two top QBs are more in the Carson Palmer range as far as top of the draft QBs go. Good, possibly pro bowl guys, but not enough to single-handedly resurrect an offense. They're not looking like Bradys, Mannings, Lucks, or even Burrowses.

Marvin Harrison Jr. however is in the elite tier as far as WRs go. More of a Julio Jones type. I've seen people saying he's better than his father.

For me, you get out of the gutter on offense a lot more quickly by signing a journeyman QB (or even keeping Mac if there's a new coaching staff as people are thinking) and drafting MHJ than you would by drafting one of these QBs and trying to sign WRs off the scrap heap. At least that's my opinion.

Pats currently have no WRs worth getting excited about. And which free agent is going to look at Mac/Zappe or whichever unproven QB we draft and want to sign here? Especially knowing if they're the #1 here they're drawing double coverage because they have no support, meaning their numbers go down and their next contract has less leverage to it. But if you have Harrison as an elite #1 drawing all the attention form the defense, you're going to see a lot of good free agent WRs wanting to sign here and line up on the other side of the field with more open space. Shit, sign one decent lineman and one good WR, and I think even Mac Jones could take this team to a wild card next year if MHJ is what he's being built up to be.
Great post. Ask the Jets about picking non franchise QBs early

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
People are really overblowing one bad year whose final outcome was made worse by the complete tank they'd been dedicated to since like week 8 or 9 and that they can pull the nose up from fairly quickly given their draft position and cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad