Patriots/NFL 2023 Regular Season Part 2: Patriots officially eliminated from playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe if Mac Jones wasn't set up to fail by his stubborn ass hat of a head coach, the Patriots would be in a better spot than they are right now. Maybe if Bill Belichick didn't bring on Matt Patricia and Joe Judge to run the offense and put players in "the dog house," the team would have better locker room cohesion than it does. Maybe if Bill didn't push Tom Brady out of town, the Patriots would have a seventh Lombardi in their cabinet. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I hear a lot of maybes. The stone cold reality is that Bill Belichick is to blame for f***ing this all up by sabotaging this team out of spite because everything has to be done "his way." The only reason Bailey Zappe does good because Bill allows him to do good by letting him play against tomato cans. When pushed against real opponents, Zappe crumbles. All the issues with this team begin and end with one person. Bill Belichick.

Zappe won't be a bridge QB though. He'll be Tim Tebow 2.0 and undermine any guy the new coach of the Patriots want to put under center because the fan base has devolved into fair weather fannies who won't accept anything but this no name scrub from Western Kentucky under center. This is despite the fact that he absolutley sucks and plays worse than Mac Jones. Enough is enough! It's time for a change. Wholesale change. Punt Zappe to the unemployment line and bring in a new QB room. That's the only way this team is going to wash the stench of Belichick off of it.

No point. Just found it funny that the supposed generational talent has similar stats to a guy universally derided by people.

the reason Zappe is in is bc Mr 2-9 lost his job being the leagues worst QB. Zappe almost had half as many TD's the last 2 games as Mac has on the season. I see Mac's blame everyone else attitude rubs off on his fans. Thankfully that will soon be gone from NE.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
the reason Zappe is in is bc Mr 2-9 lost his job being the leagues worst QB. Zappe almost had half as many TD's the last 2 games as Mac has on the season. I see Mac's blame everyone else attitude rubs off on his fans. Thankfully that will soon be gone from NE.

You don't seem to be hearing what I'm saying. It doesn't matter who the Patriots put under center now, because it is going to lead to the same result regardless. The same problems Mac had are the problems that Zappe have now and are statistically worse than the guy he replaced. It's the same system but with a different face. Swapping deck chairs on the Titanic didn't prevent the ship from sinking and swapping equally below average QBs doesn't change the fact that the Patriots still have no O-Line and no receivers that can get separation. Every excuse that is being made by the pro Zappe camp now are what was being said as the flaws with the Patriots when Mac first suited up for the Patriots in his rookie year. The only way things would be different is if Malik Cunningham was the QB and built a make shift system around him and his skill set similar to the offense put around guys like Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick had as the team wouldn't be a pocket passing dependent offense.

All the issues with this team go back to one guy. Bill Belichick. If you want to live in denial, fine. The reality is that Bill Belichick sabotaged his own team. Mac clearly isn't the guy anymore, but Zappe isn't far behind Mac in getting his one way ticket to the unemployment line and every loss he gets under center makes it easier for the next coach to do that.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
People who think this team wont be good again for years are crazy. Get a good GM and a good coach. Sign and draft the right people and it could happen. Last 2 seasons have made people bitter.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The irony of you playing victim here is hilarious. You and several others have done nothing but piss and moan all season long about how it should be Zappe starting and how it would be better.
Ya you have the wrong guy here, bub. Be better. Try your act with somebody else. I only started calling for Zappe or name your QB X (like a LOT of fans and people like Zolak who actually watch the games) when it was apparent that Mac simply couldn't function out there and was completely broken. That's simply a natural reaction in the sports world. I never proclaimed Zappe WOULD be better. I simply said you can't keep trotting out a broken Mac Jones.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The stone cold reality is that Bill Belichick is to blame for f***ing this all up by sabotaging this team out of spite because everything has to be done "his way."
I know this. I haven't defended Belichick at all really. I don't know why that gets lost in this stupid Mac/Zappe argument. This all goes back to Belichick. He sucks at his job right now and deserves plenty of blame for the way Mac Jones went from promising rookie to unplayable within a couple years.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Zappe won't be a bridge QB though. He'll be Tim Tebow 2.0 and undermine any guy the new coach of the Patriots want to put under center because the fan base has devolved into fair weather fannies who won't accept anything but this no name scrub from Western Kentucky under center. This is despite the fact that he absolutley sucks and plays worse than Mac Jones. Enough is enough! It's time for a change. Wholesale change. Punt Zappe to the unemployment line and bring in a new QB room. That's the only way this team is going to wash the stench of Belichick off of it.
That's fine, you think he will be Tebow 2.0. Tebow can't come close to making the throw Zappe did to Henry against the Steelers. I think that's a ridiculous comparison but ok. I am just ok with giving the guy more than 5 career starts to see if you have anything there. Even if it's just to confirm that he can be a solid, dependable backup. The organization is in shambles. There's really no harm in riding Zappe for a while. If you draft a QB maybe you don't want to throw them out there right away. Or, sign a veteran in the offseason and keep Zappe around for insurance. Have them compete in camp. It's really not something to get up in arms about. Or, blow all the QBs out of here. I am not connected at the hip to Bailey Zappe. It all starts with getting Belichick out of here and letting someone new makes these evaluations.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know this. I haven't defended Belichick at all really. I don't know why that gets lost in this stupid Mac/Zappe argument. This all goes back to Belichick. He sucks at his job right now and deserves plenty of blame for the way Mac Jones went from promising rookie to unplayable within a couple years.

I'm thinking that even if Mac Jones goes to another team he will not rebound. I really think he's broken for good. It's too bad, he did show potential during his rookie season but he hasn't even lived up to that promise never mind exceeded it. Some of it is on him but most of it is on his coach who did nothing to enable improvement. On the contrary he seemed to go out of his way to deny Jones those things.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I find it hard to believe he takes "double the sacks." Also one thing you don't mention, Mac has thrown three of his worst interceptions directly because he would not take a hit.....
I haven't looked up sack numbers but taking a sack is certainly better than the countless mind numbing interceptions we saw from Mac that ended up getting him benched. The coaches are probably fine with taking an additional sack here and there. Plus we all acknowledge the team around either QB sucks.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Neither Jones or Zappe are the answer at QB for the Patriots. Why quibble about who’s worse? They’re both duds.

I personally prefer we discuss solutions going forward.
If people could stick to things that have actually been said instead of inventing some fictitious narrative we might be able to move on.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
That's fine, you think he will be Tebow 2.0. Tebow can't come close to making the throw Zappe did to Henry against the Steelers. I think that's a ridiculous comparison but ok. I am just ok with giving the guy more than 5 career starts to see if you have anything there. Even if it's just to confirm that he can be a solid, dependable backup. The organization is in shambles. There's really no harm in riding Zappe for a while. If you draft a QB maybe you don't want to throw them out there right away. Or, sign a veteran in the offseason and keep Zappe around for insurance. Have them compete in camp. It's really not something to get up in arms about. Or, blow all the QBs out of here. I am not connected at the hip to Bailey Zappe. It all starts with getting Belichick out of here and letting someone new makes these evaluations.

He's Tebow 2: Electric Boogaloo because of the fact that the entire fan base saw him beat two cup cakes and immediately started comparing him to Brady. Something others ripped fans for doing with Mac Jones and continue to ignore basic facts about the team when it comes to the current set of circumstances. That's why. I've heard more people comparing Mac Jones to a standard JAG than the new golden child every fair weather Pats fans has adopted as their second son in Bailey Zappe. He's been a distraction ever since he had two fluke wins against the Lions and Browns and people haven't shut the f*** up about it since. Not the fair weather fans, not the media, not the Patriots broadcasters like that knuckle dragging idiot Scott Zolak, no one. Not a single person has ever pumped the brakes for a minute and went "hold on...Zappe only looked good because he beat two terrible teams and hasn't done well since." That's how pathetic some people have become to where they will get tunnel vision and ignore all the terrible personnel decisions by Belichick and hyper focus on Zappe being the future despite the same foundational issues existing.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He's Tebow 2: Electric Boogaloo because of the fact that the entire fan base saw him beat two cup cakes and immediately started comparing him to Brady.
JFC man. This is exactly what I am talking about with not going off what was actually said and living in fantasy land. The entire fan base was not comparing Bailey Zappe to Tom Brady. Stop it.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You don't seem to be hearing what I'm saying. It doesn't matter who the Patriots put under center now, because it is going to lead to the same result regardless. The same problems Mac had are the problems that Zappe have now and are statistically worse than the guy he replaced. It's the same system but with a different face. Swapping deck chairs on the Titanic didn't prevent the ship from sinking and swapping equally below average QBs doesn't change the fact that the Patriots still have no O-Line and no receivers that can get separation. Every excuse that is being made by the pro Zappe camp now are what was being said as the flaws with the Patriots when Mac first suited up for the Patriots in his rookie year. The only way things would be different is if Malik Cunningham was the QB and built a make shift system around him and his skill set similar to the offense put around guys like Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick had as the team wouldn't be a pocket passing dependent offense.

All the issues with this team go back to one guy. Bill Belichick. If you want to live in denial, fine. The reality is that Bill Belichick sabotaged his own team. Mac clearly isn't the guy anymore, but Zappe isn't far behind Mac in getting his one way ticket to the unemployment line and every loss he gets under center makes it easier for the next coach to do that.
This is exactly right

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I find it hard to believe he takes "double the sacks." Also one thing you don't mention, Mac has thrown three of his worst interceptions directly because he would not take a hit.....
3 games started 11 sacks for Zappe. Jones started 11 games and was sacked 22 times. So on average 2 sacks a game compared to 3.7 sacks per so far, to be specific.

And you seem to think I’m advocating for Jones to play over Zappe. I’m not. I’m saying it doesn’t matter who plays because the roster is too flawed to be successful when your qb isn’t a difference maker, and they need help that isn’t available. That’s on Bill for making this flawed roster.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Always critical of Jones yet absolving Zappe when he plays the same way. That lack of consistency is the issue here. Be honest and fair. Both guys have sucked and both guys aren’t good enough. Why is that hard for you to say? It’s not like Zappe came in and it got better. It’s statistically a dead heat. Why can’t you Zappe fever folks admit it? Lol

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
3 games started 11 sacks for Zappe. Jones started 11 games and was sacked 22 times. So on average 2 sacks a game compared to 3.7 sacks per so far, to be specific.

And you seem to think I’m advocating for Jones to play over Zappe. I’m not. I’m saying it doesn’t matter who plays because the roster is too flawed to be successful when your qb isn’t a difference maker, and they need help that isn’t available. That’s on Bill for making this flawed roster.
No I get it. I read your posts, but I just don't think you are seeing some things..I wasn't really questionig the sack numbers. Numbers are numbers. But my eye test tells me Zappe has equal or better pocket presence than Jones because he is tougher and has better feel.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Always critical of Jones yet absolving Zappe when he plays the same way. That lack of consistency is the issue here. Be honest and fair. Both guys have sucked and both guys aren’t good enough. Why is that hard for you to say? It’s not like Zappe came in and it got better. It’s statistically a dead heat. Why can’t you Zappe fever folks admit it? Lol

on what planet is a 2-9 QB not going to be criticized. Jones is 9-21 in his last 30. Zappe is 3-2 as a starter. They can't even be compared based on their experience. Zappe is in there after Mac lost his job and was benched 4 times this year. I was happy with a lot of Zappes play vs Pit and KC and hope the 24 year old Qb builds off that. Next year I hope the new Qb gets more than 5 games before rash analysis

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No I get it. I read your posts, but I just don't think you are seeing some things..I wasn't really questionig the sack numbers. Numbers are numbers. But my eye test tells me Zappe has equal or better pocket presence than Jones because he is tougher and has better feel.
You can say whatever you want but he is what his stats say he is, regardless of your eye test or feelings. Taking out the emotion or the dislike for one guy over the other, it's literally the same. That's been my point all along. Nothing more. Nothing less. It doesn't matter who they play. The roster isn't good enough to win because it has no difference makers on offense.

on what planet is a 2-9 QB not going to be criticized. Jones is 9-21 in his last 30. Zappe is 3-2 as a starter. They can't even be compared based on their experience. Zappe is in there after Mac lost his job and was benched 4 times this year. I was happy with a lot of Zappes play vs Pit and KC and hope the 24 year old Qb builds off that. Next year I hope the new Qb gets more than 5 games before rash analysis
You can spin it however you want. In reality, you're being wildly inconsistent. You jumped all over one guy, claimed Zappe would be better, yet he's not. And now you're ignoring the reality.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You can say whatever you want but he is what his stats say he is, regardless of your eye test or feelings. Taking out the emotion or the dislike for one guy over the other, it's literally the same. That's been my point all along. Nothing more. Nothing less. It doesn't matter who they play. The roster isn't good enough to win because it has no difference makers on offense.

You can spin it however you want. In reality, you're being wildly inconsistent. You jumped all over one guy, claimed Zappe would be better, yet he's not. And now you're ignoring the reality.

he is better than Mac, I don't even think thats up for debate

• Haha
Reactions: EvilDead and LSCII

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Jones sucks.
Zappe sucks.
Time for the Krafts to move on from Belichick. It’s time for a new era in Patriots football.
Assuming new GM, new coach.. Pats remain 2nd overall. D is solid. Judon & Gonzalez return. I say resign Hunter Henry. Who should they draft at #2 overall? QB1 or Marvin Harrison Jr, and sign/ trade for a QB?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Jones sucks.
Zappe sucks.
Time for the Krafts to move on from Belichick. It’s time for a new era in Patriots football.
Assuming new GM, new coach.. Pats remain 2nd overall. D is solid. Judon & Gonzalez return. I say resign Hunter Henry. Who should they draft at #2 overall? QB1 or Marvin Harrison Jr, and sign/ trade for a QB?
I think we need to round out our roster with high end talent..give Harrison Jr ALL f***ING DAY. See if you like any other QB's in other rounds, if not, trade or sign a vet.

I'm nervous about drafting a qb too high, it almost never works.

Reactions: Oates2Neely
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad