Patriots/NFL 2023 Regular Season Part 2: Patriots officially eliminated from playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Easy for me to say, but if I were Kraft, I’d give Bill the option of staying on as coach so he can break Shula’s record, but he needs to give up the GM role.

Seems like a fair, happy medium offer. Of course there’s about a 5% chance that Bill agrees, which is fine because it’s clear (to me at least) that he can’t continue as GM.

That's probably how this ends. Kraft doesn't want to fire him, but Belichick won't want to stay on as coach only without roster oversight as GM, and so we'll get an announcement of a mutual parting of ways.

Then Belichick can fulfill his destiny of going to the Chargers with Herbert and getting them over the hump.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Responding to the last post from @Gee Wally in the previous thread.
I have it here with my kids. 30,25 & 25.
They’ve only known the golden decades of Boston sports.
Its a helluva awakening for them.

It's interesting that you say that because I'm the same age as your oldest, and I feel like my dad's been preparing me for this moment my entire life.

It makes me wonder how historical Boston sports fandom suffering has influenced the fandom of the younger population. It's definitely impacted mine, where, despite evidence to the contrary, my dad often has a pessimistic outlook in big games because of the disappointment he experienced, so I've always had a more balanced approach with my expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII and BMC

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I may be alone in this, but I think Belichick is still capable of being an Excellent HC.

However, I have no faith in him as a GM any longer.
But how much of the roster can even a great gm turn over in one season? He's still looking at 18 more wins to hold the record. That's 2-3 seasons minimum, likely with a rookie qb.....and he doesn't have a good history with those unless he also hires a top OC. O'Brien ain't it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
But how much of the roster can even a great gm turn over in one season? He's still looking at 18 more wins to hold the record. That's 2-3 seasons minimum, likely with a rookie qb.....and he doesn't have a good history with those unless he also hires a top OC. O'Brien ain't it.

I won‘t argue with that. I guess it becomes a question of what’s important to him?

Breaking the record In general. Or breaking it here.

I think deep down, being the historian that he is, he wants to be the all time wins leader, I doubt he cares if the last leg comes here, there or elsewhere.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Imagine a real NFL franchise posting this after losing a game. Sure get some yucks but I'd be pissed if the Patriots did this.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The Eagles are signing Julio Jones. That's interesting. He's probably cooked but maybe he has a little left in the tank if he can actually stay healthy. He could probably walk into Gillette with a walker and be the best receiver on the team.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The Eagles are signing Julio Jones. That's interesting. He's probably cooked but maybe he has a little left in the tank if he can actually stay healthy. He could probably walk into Gillette with a walker and be the best receiver on the team.

Yep.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I have never been a huge Rogers fan. He is a great QB but I always found him to be annoying but since he has been injured I feel like he has really ramped up how annoying he is trying to force himself into everything while he is injured so people don't forget about him. Maybe I am just consuming new media but my god man who cares, just be injured and come back when you are healthy.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Much like in baseball where I hate the added wild card teams I feel the same way about the added teams in the NFL.
The old format with 4 divisions, 2 wild cards, and two byes per conference was sports perfection.

Zero reason to mess with it other than money.

I hate that only one team per conference gets a bye.

I guess where I’m going with this is, it looks/feels like the season is over for the Patriots, but if they SOMEHOW find a way to right the ship, 9-8 probably gets you in.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I have never been a huge Rogers fan. He is a great QB but I always found him to be annoying but since he has been injured I feel like he has really ramped up how annoying he is trying to force himself into everything while he is injured so people don't forget about him. Maybe I am just consuming new media but my god man who cares, just be injured and come back when you are healthy.
I think there's a fair degree of confirmation bias here. He does his regular Pat McAfee appearances that he's been doing for years, but other than that, I haven't heard a peep out of him post-injury.

Call me when he pulls a TO and starts working out in his driveway.

Last edited:

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I think there's a fair degree of confirmation bias here. He does his regular Pat McAfee appearances that he's been doing for years, but other than that, I haven't heard a peep out of him post-injury.

Call me when he pulls a TO and starts working out in his driveway.
Ha true. Maybe it's just the growth of that show and I am exposed to it more.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
What I would absolutely LOVE to see in the next press conference is one of the media guys asking Bill "In light of your current performance on the field and the notion you are only as good as you are playing, how do you approach the trade deadline and the draft to address clear roster weakness and get the Pats back on track?" When he goes onto his muttering of "We're on to Buffalo" I would put the dagger in it and say "Bill, I'm asking you as GM and roster builder, not as the coach next Sunday."

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What I would absolutely LOVE to see in the next press conference is one of the media guys asking Bill "In light of your current performance on the field and the notion you are only as good as you are playing, how do you approach the trade deadline and the draft to address clear roster weakness and get the Pats back on track?" When he goes onto his muttering of "We're on to Buffalo" I would put the dagger in it and say "Bill, I'm asking you as GM and roster builder, not as the coach next Sunday."

"The GM will do whatever he feels is in the best interests of the team. He'll explore trades if they make the team better."

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Agree he'd find some mumble retorque to it but boy wouldn't it be nice to see him have to own that just a little. Then the next question would be "Is it the quality of the players the GM gave the coach, or the quality of execution of the players and coaching?"

As much as he doesn't deserve the tar and feathering given the success over the years and his football acumen, he does deserve a good dope slap IMO and to be forced to own up to the mess he has created across the organisation to lead them to such a miserable level of compete and execution.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Not to beat a dead horse but in that breakdown there were multiple big yardage plays with receivers wide open and Mac going to what should have been a #4 option in coverage. Sure the 4th Q drop and Safety weren't on Mac but man, some of those other passes just to the wrong guy and the bad passes and broken plays even when he did have pocket protection... Kid is playing skittish if not entirely scared.

Reactions: The National

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Not to beat a dead horse but in that breakdown there were multiple big yardage plays with receivers wide open and Mac going to what should have been a #4 option in coverage. Sure the 4th Q drop and Safety weren't on Mac but man, some of those other passes just to the wrong guy and the bad passes and broken plays even when he did have pocket protection... Kid is playing skittish if not entirely scared.

Doesn't help that that our offensive line ranks 32nd in blocking and our receivers rank 32nd in separating from defenders according to Next Gen Stats. That's LAST in the league. That's on the coaches and lack of f***ing good players. It's embarrassing. They need more RPO's. Can't do much when you're constantly getting demolished because our o-line and our tight end in Gesecki can't block. He's rushing the throws because of it.

Once again, I am astonished that the o-line was not fixed prior to this season. Absolutely astonished. Dead last folks. Dead last in blocking and in letting in pressure. That's just unacceptable.

Reactions: IveGotToBeMe

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Doesn't help that that our offensive line ranks 32nd in blocking and our receivers rank 32nd in separating from defenders according to Next Gen Stats. That's LAST in the league. That's on the coaches and lack of f***ing good players. It's embarrassing. They need more RPO's. Can't do much when you're constantly getting demolished because our o-line and our tight end in Gesecki can't block. He's rushing the throws because of it.

Once again, I am astonished that the o-line was not fixed prior to this season. Absolutely astonished. Dead last folks. Dead last in blocking and in letting in pressure. That's just unacceptable.
I don't disagree in principle, but on that breakdown again even when he had time he was making bad decisions because other guys were just wide open - even when he had time... I forgot where I saw it but one of the mainstream shows had a visual for the pass yardage and from memory nearly half the passes were behind the line of scrimmage which can mean a lot of different things but one of them is he is skittish and taking a pre-snap decision on the target vs. reading the field. Eg. playing a NFL offense scheme as if it was a a simple RPO pre-snap read offense for the soft spot target.

Pressure plays into this bad decision making and skittish play for sure but you can't continue to play afraid, with happy feet, and a soft arm and survive as a NFL franchise QB. Won't matter anyway as with the schedule they should be picking top 4 and have legit options for a guy with a more complete overall skillset and rebuilding expectations for the "new" year 1.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't disagree in principle, but on that breakdown again even when he had time he was making bad decisions because other guys were just wide open - even when he had time... I forgot where I saw it but one of the mainstream shows had a visual for the pass yardage and from memory nearly half the passes were behind the line of scrimmage which can mean a lot of different things but one of them is he is skittish and taking a pre-snap decision on the target vs. reading the field. Eg. playing a NFL offense scheme as if it was a a simple RPO pre-snap read offense for the soft spot target.

Pressure plays into this bad decision making and skittish play for sure but you can't continue to play afraid, with happy feet, and a soft arm and survive as a NFL franchise QB. Won't matter anyway as with the schedule they should be picking top 4 and have legit options for a guy with a more complete overall skillset and rebuilding expectations for the "new" year 1.

I think they've really dropped the ball with Jones' development. 3 coaches in 3 years, an offensive line that should be working at Home Depot, and average wide receivers with heavy feet. I don't think Jones was ever going to be the type of talent who's so good, he can overcome team wide problems on offense and will them to wins. I always saw him as a game manager type who can throw an accurate ball but with enough potential to be something more and I think the Pats have almost killed that potential. They really did this kid dirty.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I think they've really dropped the ball with Jones' development. 3 coaches in 3 years, an offensive line that should be working at Home Depot, and average wide receivers with heavy feet. I don't think Jones was ever going to be the type of talent who's so good, he can overcome team wide problems on offense and will them to wins. I always saw him as a game manager type who can throw an accurate ball but with enough potential to be something more and I think the Pats have almost killed that potential. They really did this kid dirty.
Hi is a A level backup QB who can only perform in a pure design to QB weakness system IMO. Too many limitations to be a bonafide #1 QB - reads / feet / arm / pocket awareness are all average and there isn't a B or above skill there with him. He's a Jimmy G redux without the looks...

Reactions: quietbruinfan

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m going to the game tomorrow and would love to talk Xs and Os about how the Patriots’ Offense will attack the Bills and the Defense will defend against them. But I’ve got nothing.

I’m looking forward to tailgating and seeing the friends we’re going with, but I’m not expecting much on the field. This is what I’m hoping for:

1. The Patriots score two touchdowns.

2. The Patriots allow less than 40 points.

The last two seasons are a result of Bill Belichick’s ARROGANCE. This is what happens when a man is motivated by his PRIDE.

Great coach. Maybe the best, but like all the other great coaches, he needed his QB to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad