Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season IV - 71 games to go - 119-43 still possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Interesting, a catcher who seems to be able to play multiple positions.

"Extremely athletic, Teel has seen time in the outfield and probably could handle playing second or third, but he has every chance to stick behind the plate. He has an easily plus arm and his athleticism helps his overall receiving. He gets high marks for his baseball IQ and leadership skills, and with his bat showing up more consistently, his name is floating up Draft boards."

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Didn't expect Teel to be there at #14 so this is a great pick. Assuming he goes at slot? Maybe over. If they somehow get him at under slot, that would be ridiculous.

A catcher who can rake. I really like Teel as the lead for their catching prospects. May get play at other positions due to athleticism but it sounds like he should stick at catcher.

Despite a non-traditional swing that often features a head whack that kicks his helmet askew, Teel has hit for tons of contact dating back to high school and has come into more power as he's matured at Virginia. He hit .418/.484/.673 as a junior and is poised to be the first catcher off the board in the 2023 draft. Teel has come a long way as a receiver, although his manic, high-energy style of doing literally everything is not typical of the stoic and poised field general vibe most catchers exude in the big leagues. He is very active behind the plate, moving almost constantly as he descends into his deep one-knee crouch. He has an atypical throwing stroke as well, almost like a sidearm pitcher's delivery. But Teel's caught stealing rates are strong and his pop times hover around 1.90, so even though it looks weird back there, Teel is very likely to stick as a catcher. Offensively, Teel's hitting hands are electric, especially when he's snatching pitches on the inner third of the zone. He has all-fields doubles pop and can move his barrel all over the zone, though he's best against low pitches. It's a potential impact hit and power combination for a catcher, with Teel's propensity to chase the only blemish on an otherwise well-rounded skill set.

-- Fangraphs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

No. 14: Kyle Teel, C, Virginia​

The catcher slashed .407/.475/.655/1.130 with 13 home runs in 65 games with the Cavaliers last season. Teel led Virginia to the College World Series and received the Buster Posey catcher of the year award. Teel’s father, Garett, was drafted in the 11th round (318th overall) by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1989 draft and spent five seasons in the organization both as a player and coach.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Keith Law on the pick

Teel sliding this far is a shock, really — a college catcher who stays at the position, has a track record of hitting, is a good athlete, and played for an elite program in one of the two best conferences in the country doesn't go in the top 10? I'm shocked, but Red Sox fans should be ecstatic. He has some areas to work on, needing especially to improve his production against left-handed pitching, but he's a great athlete for a catcher and it shows up in his running, his movement behind the plate, and even in the bat speed from his quick wrists. He might not have the upside of some of the bats who went before him but I think he could still end up an All-Star at some point, and has a high floor because he can catch.

------------------

If one of the weaknesses is "improving against LHP", that's the most obvious thing ever to improve on. Feels like any young LHH prospect has issue at that. That's basically not even a real flaw in my opinion. I am taking the trade off in terms of floor vs ceiling at that spot in the draft. And it's not even a given that he doesn't have a high ceiling with his athleticism and quick wrists.

If things break right, he could very well be our own Henry Davis, who surprisingly got picked #1 by the Pirates in the Mayer-draft.

I am honestly ecstatic, as Keith said.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Keith Law on the pick

Teel sliding this far is a shock, really — a college catcher who stays at the position, has a track record of hitting, is a good athlete, and played for an elite program in one of the two best conferences in the country doesn't go in the top 10? I'm shocked, but Red Sox fans should be ecstatic. He has some areas to work on, needing especially to improve his production against left-handed pitching, but he's a great athlete for a catcher and it shows up in his running, his movement behind the plate, and even in the bat speed from his quick wrists. He might not have the upside of some of the bats who went before him but I think he could still end up an All-Star at some point, and has a high floor because he can catch.

------------------

If one of the weaknesses is "improving against LHP", that's the most obvious thing ever to improve on. Feels like any young LHH prospect has issue at that. That's basically not even a real flaw in my opinion. I am taking the trade off in terms of floor vs ceiling at that spot in the draft. And it's not even a given that he doesn't have a high ceiling with his athleticism and quick wrists.

If things break right, he could very well be our own Henry Davis, who surprisingly got picked #1 by the Pirates in the Mayer-draft.

I am honestly ecstatic, as Keith said.

A strong system gets stronger with this pick. Wonder where he goes (FCL, A-Ball).

Reports are that Teel will get slot.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Didn't watch. Weird. He shouldnt be seeing OF time without injuries.

Regardless, I think he's clearly their bench/super sub type once Story comes back, assuming Arroyo stays healthy.

It was a weird lineup, but everything worked out. They're going to have to figure something out because guys are coming back from injury -- Reyes, Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad