Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
small potatoes, but i'd sign connor carrick for next year as the #7 on minimum salary deal. i thought he was excellent in
the few providence games i watched (although i'd lean on @Saxon Eric and others for a bigger sample size). right shot,
outstanding character guy, plays the body. they're going to need every dollar, so those minimum salary cap hits will
be massive.
I liked him in his limited devils action as well. Would def sign him up again

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Any interest in Connor Brown?

We know Frederic and Debrusk are able to play right wing but Pasta is our only true RH winger on the roster. You have to figure he is going to take a 1 year deal somewhere.

Not sure if he would get top six minutes here but I think him and Coyle would be great together. First PK unit out around 16-17 minutes a night. The guy battles out there.

Merkulov (shooter) - Coyle (possession) - Brown (playmaker/forechecker)

Great way to break in a rookie with two strong 5v5 players.
That’s a nice find. He’s a high energy, right handed, playmaker. Averages 40 points and over 50 takeaways per 82 games, and he’s under 30. Evolving Hockey has him projected to sign a 1year deal for $2,060,000.

I like how he fits your 3rd line too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is today the last day for club elected arbitration? I checked @DominicT ’s calendar and it said it was, but I didn’t know if the end of the playoffs affected that date.

They could potentially take Frederic or Swayman to arbitration.

Edit: Bussi, McLaughlin, Wissman (Asselin and Bowers too).
Last day for the first chance too.

There is a second 24 hour window when the player's opportunity to file expires.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Using the Horvat deal as a comparable, I'm curious if something like DeBrusk + Lysell + 1st would be enough to land Elias Lindholm.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think it would be hard to get a court to nullify the contract if the league won't.

My biggest worry is that everyone comes out and says Miller has gotten help and will continue to get help and.....
I agree Dom. Worries me as well.

Of course they'd have the benefit of saying "Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman would let the kid play".

(Yes, Gary Bettman, I'm talking to you when I type that. Just you........ Do the right thing."

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
They absolutely cannot be giving up anymore 1sts. Not unless they stockpile some from other trades.

Well right now they don't have a 1st till 2025. That first likely doesn't crack the NHL for 2-3 years \and even then would need another 2-3 years before you know what you really have. So 4-6 years after being drafted you know if the first was a hit or not. That would put it around 2029-2030....or (if CGY felt the deal was fair) you could have a 28yr old center that over the last 5 years among centers ranks 13th in goals, 15th in points and has been 53.1% in the dot.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Well right now they don't have a 1st till 2025. That first likely doesn't crack the NHL for 2-3 years \and even then would need another 2-3 years before you know what you really have. So 4-6 years after being drafted you know if the first was a hit or not. That would put it around 2029-2030....or (if CGY felt the deal was fair) you could have a 28yr old center that over the last 5 years among centers ranks 13th in goals, 15th in points and has been 53.1% in the dot.
So your answer is eff it why not just wait until 2026 to draft in the 1st round again? I don’t subscribe to that. Acquire a 1st(s) in other deals. By 2025 this team could be a bottom 15 team. Sweeney eventually needs to start making moves with an eye toward the future of this franchise.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So your answer is eff it why not just wait until 2026 to draft in the 1st round again? I don’t subscribe to that. Acquire a 1st(s) in other deals. By 2025 this team could be a bottom 15 team. Sweeney eventually needs to start making moves with an eye toward the future of this franchise.

No my answer would be to use a 1st in package to acquire a #1C that fits the window of the current guys you're trying to build around i.e Pastrnak, McAcoy, Zacha, Carlo, Swayman. Draft picks are like lottery tickets. Sometimes you win big and at worst you hope to win something or break even, but more times than not you end up disappointed. Me personally I'd rather trade that scratch ticket for $100 that I know can be a positive impact for me now.

Now whose to say you couldn't acquire a 1st in a deal for say Ullmark and flip it to CGY in a deal? I didn't say it HAD to be the 2025 1st, and I'm sure CGY would want something sooner, but as of today the earliest 1st Boston can trade is in the 2025 Draft.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
With the largest cap increase In the cap era expected (2024-2025) are we really concerned about a million?
Also next year if things go to plan we should hopefully be able to plug Lohrei and Lysell in for cheap, whatever carry overs from buyouts we might have should get negated from the cap savings those two give us.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lindholm is great but I think the Bruins need to think younger. Cups are won by 26 year old #1 centers. Lindholm is 28 now and will be 29 when he signs his 8 year extension.

PLD makes more sense from an age standpoint.
I am not against Lindholm as a player , but I do agree they need to try and get younger , and with no draft picks it makes it harder ..........BUT ! lets not give up

There should be a market for Marchand , I think Colorado , and would I be off thinking LA could be interested they have Cup aspirations and they should .....what do you think ...........
I am not in favor of moving DeBrusk but if there is thought that he might not resign or might be to pricey to do so , or that there is a deal that is too good to pass up that would change my thinking .........

I know I could be throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks ,but two teams I think the Bruins should try talking to is Arizona and LA , they have young players that might be interesting Arizona ---Crouse and McBain .....LA --- Byfield and Vilardi ..... I know it might be a crazy thought but maybe makes for interesting discussions ...........

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's amazing how little he has to do to turn his own life around but yet he still refuses.

Why is it so hard for people to just admit and apologize for things they've done and take steps to make it right. He'd certainly have plenty more resources do to some good if he and his family could figure it out .

It’s harder for kids now especially when very prominent leaders lie with impunity, it sets a model. Not hard to imagine where Miller’s mindset lays community wise. When a specific group catches on that they are more successful when they never admit wrongdoing then they lose the incentive to take accountability because we could never rely on morals to lead to guilt and then atonement. Lack of morality was the foundation and therefor shame was the only thing to bring about action. You can’t shame someone if they have millions to surround themselves with the same poor morals

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Saw some rumblings that the Bruins could dangle Frederic...

I guess it would save 2 to 3m per. Plus bring back picks.

On top of this...if Forbort is traded (no money coming back) and Reilly bought out. Bergy and Krejci retire...

Would this be enough capspace to resign Swayman, Lauko... some other minor league deals and one decent UFA signing?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I am not against Lindholm as a player , but I do agree they need to try and get younger , and with no draft picks it makes it harder ..........BUT ! lets not give up

There should be a market for Marchand , I think Colorado , and would I be off thinking LA could be interested they have Cup aspirations and they should .....what do you think ...........
I am not in favor of moving DeBrusk but if there is thought that he might not resign or might be to pricey to do so , or that there is a deal that is too good to pass up that would change my thinking .........

I know I could be throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks ,but two teams I think the Bruins should try talking to is Arizona and LA , they have young players that might be interesting Arizona ---Crouse and McBain .....LA --- Byfield and Vilardi ..... I know it might be a crazy thought but maybe makes for interesting discussions ...........
I don't think the Bruins would consider trading Marchand. They have too much respect for what he's done here.

I don't want to move JDB either, but he's a UFA next summer. He can sign anywhere and is going to be costly, probably as costly as Bertuzzi. If given the choice, I'd rather have Bert, he fits with Pasta better and there's only 2 years difference between them.

The problem with dealing with AZ is that they're rebuilding so we don't have a lot to offer them in terms of picks. We also can't deal players

LA seems like a more likely trade partner. They've got young players but are also a playoff team trying to get better. Some of our current players could be enticing there. Byfield and/or Vilardi would be great. I don't know if they're available, but either one would be great.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Saw some rumblings that the Bruins could dangle Frederic...

I guess it would save 2 to 3m per. Plus bring back picks.

On top of this...if Forbort is traded (no money coming back) and Reilly bought out. Bergy and Krejci retire...

Would this be enough capspace to resign Swayman, Lauko... some other minor league deals and one decent UFA signing?
I wouldn't say I love Freddy or view him as a keystone for the future core or anything, but given where they are trading one of the only cost controlled young centers that are actually in the system seems a bit unnecessary. Unless it's a like-for-like swap for another similar aged center who needs a change of scenery or part of a larger set of moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca