Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Off-Season is nearly officially here and the Bruins should be very busy. The Jets maybe a good place start
Here is what we’ve learned.

The Dubois camp will submit a list of teams that he would have interest in signing with long-term, maybe five or six teams. Of course, they will need to determine the willingness of those teams to add Dubois and his new contract before putting them on their list. The Canadiens, who reached out to the Jets as soon as their season ended, will be on that list. Cheveldayoff will then work off that list to try and negotiate the trade that helps the Jets the most.

Meanwhile, Brisson can begin talking to those teams about the parameters of a new contract. The plan is for this to be a sign-and-trade, where the Jets sign Dubois to an eight-year contract and then trade him to his new team. Dubois could not get an eight-year deal if he signed directly with that team, and the Jets can extract more value with a signed and delivered player.​

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Dubois isn’t likely to be the only guy on the move.

Chances are high that all of goalie Connor Hellebuyck, centre Mark Scheifele and captain Blake Wheeler could be gone.

That list could extend to fellow 2024 pending UFAs Brenden Dillon, Dylan DeMelo and maybe even Nino Niederreiter — though all three of those players are candidates for an extension.

The Jets need clarity at the goalie position, especially since there are no internal candidates ready to take over the starting job, should Hellebuyck not be interested in an extension either.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Pro athletes are wired a certain way. If they lose, no matter how crushing the defeat, they quickly move on.

As such, the Bruins have started building toward opening night. Five months until the next shift.

Here’s a few of the hockey-related activities they might be doing until then:

Glancing at the draft​

By late June, they’ll mostly be absorbing what’s happening around Connor Bedard, since no prospect has carried this kind of hype since Connor McDavid. If they’re really into learning about players they might never face in the NHL, they can pick the brains of the Bruins scouting staff. Even though they don’t have a pick until the third round, they still create files on players they consider draftable.

Watching the awards​

Either on TNT, or live in Nashville. David Pastrnak (Hart and Ted Lindsay), Patrice Bergeron (Selke), Linus Ullmark (Vezina, plus Jennings with Jeremy Swayman), Jim Montgomery (Jack Adams), and Don Sweeney (Jim Gregory) are up for major awards on June 26. Not since Bobby Orr was taking home half the league’s trophies have the Bruins been so well-represented at this banquet.

Loathing the awards​

This event is largely a celebration of the regular season, save for the heaps of praise for the newest champs (ah yes, wonderful). Expect to see highlights of the Bruins’ run toward the Presidents’ Trophy rather than their run toward the Stanley Cup.

Ask the Lightning how that felt.

Checking in with their agents​

The July 1 opening of the free agent market, and the weeks of speculation before it, will be fascinating for the Bruins. As of Thursday, 15 players on last year’s main roster were signed through next season or longer. Those commitments combined left the Bruins about $5 million shy of the league’s salary cap. Organizationally, they had 28 of the available 50 contract slots filled. Via trade or free agency, there will be comings and there will be goings.

Not bothering Patrice Bergeron or David Krejci​

The Bruins’ two most dignified graybeards took their time before deciding to return for 2022-23, and the club didn’t announce contracts until Aug. 8. Expect similar timelines, even if the outcomes are different.

Working out​

Obviously. NHLers remain fit, addressing one type of bodily concern or another all offseason long. Those training locally might take in a bit of development camp at Warrior Ice Arena from July 3-7. One of the veterans typically speaks to the newcomers, passing on the way of the group. Veterans typically start ramping up their skating speed in August, if not before.

Checking out​

Late summer is also time to get some in final weeks of quality time on the water, in the woods, or at the table with those they enjoy. Those with families are getting the kids ready for school. The rookies will travel to Buffalo from Sept. 13-18, and some will use that as a springboard to an NHL camp. Maybe the vets will send them an encouraging text.

Meeting new people​

Because of their financial situation, the Bruins can’t run it back next year. There will be new faces. They might even have a new captain, if Bergeron decides to retire. Training camp opens Sept. 20. Who knows what comes next?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Ooooo new thread. Let the rumors begin!
odds .gif

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Sure sounds like Swayman has been given some assurances about being a part of the core going forward.

Also Friedman talked on 32 Thoughts about the goalie carousel going on this offseason and didn't even mention Ullmark. Wonder if we end up keeping both and move other parts of the roster to clear cap.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I appreciate what Ullmark did this season but its two straight playoffs where he couldn't stop a beachball. Regular season stats mean nothing to me. Trade him. $5 million

I'm not a Gryz hater nor am I a Gryz supporter. I'm a realist though that our defense lacks the nasty we need, especially to win a playoff series. Trade him. $3.6875 million

Reilly is a bum, and one of the worst FA signings by Sweeney. Trade him with an asset or buy him out. $3.00 million

Forbort sure can eat pucks.......he's a warrior, but he's slow, handles the puck like a grenade and is a waste of cap space. Trade him $3.00 million

Charlie Coyle is a good 3C, outside of the year the Bruins lost in the finals, he's been very vanilla in the playoffs. Lack of production, a minus player, money can be better spent or let Bergy play 3C minutes in 2023-2024 and get yourself a new 1C and use part of Coyle's money. Trade him. $5.25 million

20 million + 5 million we have in space today.

Bergy- 1 million
O'Reilly- 4 Million
Lucic-850k
Frederic- 1.75 million
Lauko-850k
Graves-4 million
Mayfield- 3 million
Swayman-3 million

18.45 million

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I appreciate what Ullmark did this season but its two straight playoffs where he couldn't stop a beachball. Regular season stats mean nothing to me. Trade him. $5 million

I'm not a Gryz hater nor am I a Gryz supporter. I'm a realist though that our defense lacks the nasty we need, especially to win a playoff series. Trade him. $3.6875 million

Reilly is a bum, and one of the worst FA signings by Sweeney. Trade him with an asset or buy him out. $3.00 million

Forbort sure can eat pucks.......he's a warrior, but he's slow, handles the puck like a grenade and is a waste of cap space. Trade him $3.00 million

Charlie Coyle is a good 3C, outside of the year the Bruins lost in the finals, he's been very vanilla in the playoffs. Lack of production, a minus player, money can be better spent or let Bergy play 3C minutes in 2023-2024 and get yourself a new 1C and use part of Coyle's money. Trade him. $5.25 million

Bergy- 1 million
O'Reilly- 4 Million
Lucic-850k
Frederic- 1.75 million
Lauko-850k
Graves-4 million
Mayfield- 3 million
Swayman-3 million

18.45 million
Your numbers are low on O'Reilly, Freddy, Graves, Mayfield, and Swayman.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman seemed to pour a bucket of cold water last weekend on the idea of next year’s salary cap getting a significant bump, saying the increase is still likely to be just $1 million for 2023-24.

That’s a kick in the gut to pending free agents and the large number of teams who are capped out, staring at the reality of a second straight $1 million increase and a five-season running total of $2 million.

But in talking to players and league sources this week, the number doesn’t appear to be final — at least, not yet.

Some around the league estimate that the cap could be due to go up between $10 million and $12 million over the next three years, based on revenue. If it only goes up $1 million this year because players still owe escrow payments to owners, that could mean sharp increases the following two years, creating an uneven playing field for free agents this year versus in 2024 and 2025.

The next few weeks are key in negotiations to see if there could be wiggle room to address this before figures are announced around the NHL Draft.

“I’m not going to close the door automatically to that,” new NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh said

We’re already seeing the impact that it will have if the league has a $1 million cap raise followed by what Bettman calls a “more normal cap increase” in 2024 and 2025. Defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov signed a two-year deal ($5.875 million average annual value) with the Kings on Wednesday. The team was looking to go longer term on the contract, but agent Dan Milstein pushed for shorter term so Gavrikov can reenter the market when the cap has made a significant jump.

Reactions: Gordoff

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Bergy- 1 million
O'Reilly- 4 Million
Lucic-850k
Frederic- 1.75 million
Lauko-850k
Graves-4 million
Mayfield- 3 million
Swayman-3 million

18.45 million
Totally agree with this.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman seemed to pour a bucket of cold water last weekend on the idea of next year’s salary cap getting a significant bump, saying the increase is still likely to be just $1 million for 2023-24.

That’s a kick in the gut to pending free agents and the large number of teams who are capped out, staring at the reality of a second straight $1 million increase and a five-season running total of $2 million.

But in talking to players and league sources this week, the number doesn’t appear to be final — at least, not yet.

Some around the league estimate that the cap could be due to go up between $10 million and $12 million over the next three years, based on revenue. If it only goes up $1 million this year because players still owe escrow payments to owners, that could mean sharp increases the following two years, creating an uneven playing field for free agents this year versus in 2024 and 2025.

The next few weeks are key in negotiations to see if there could be wiggle room to address this before figures are announced around the NHL Draft.

“I’m not going to close the door automatically to that,” new NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh said

We’re already seeing the impact that it will have if the league has a $1 million cap raise followed by what Bettman calls a “more normal cap increase” in 2024 and 2025. Defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov signed a two-year deal ($5.875 million average annual value) with the Kings on Wednesday. The team was looking to go longer term on the contract, but agent Dan Milstein pushed for shorter term so Gavrikov can reenter the market when the cap has made a significant jump.
Yep, any UFA signed this summer will be an absolute steal in 3 years.

Reactions: wintersej

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
If I’m Sweeney looking for the 1C of the future I’m looking at a buying low on a blue chip like Byfield.

He is poised for a breakout, superb defensive game, and his size is second only to Tage as far as high end centers go.

I heard rumors of him being on the block last deadline, but not sure if they’re legit.

I’m convinced Dubois is forcing his way to Montreal but if he doesn’t, he is an absolute playoff performer in my eyes, and would be a great add.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If I’m Sweeney looking for the 1C of the future I’m looking at a buying low on a blue chip like Byfield.

He is poised for a breakout, superb defensive game, and his size is second only to Tage as far as high end centers go.

I heard rumors of him being on the block last deadline, but not sure if they’re legit.

I’m convinced Dubois is forcing his way to Montreal but if he doesn’t, he is an absolute playoff performer in my eyes, and would be a great add.

Lafreniere and Mittlestadt would be two others I wouldn't mind see Sweeney make a pitch for. Mittlestadt it seemed as though he was all but given up on and then came on real strong the last third of the season. Looked like a Kid who finally got it.

Yep, any UFA signed this summer will be an absolute steal in 3 years.
On the bright side, the Bruins may get Bert on a 2 year deal

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Even if we could buy low... what do we have to pay?

Missing any meaningful picks, our prospect pool is ok, so unless LA already loves one of our guys, at best Lysell=first, Lohrei=2nd

Don't know LA's needs, but don't think we realistically have the assets to make an offer that is gonna beat anyone else.

Hope I'm wrong, I'd love Byfield, I just don't see it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Interesting, Marchand, Hall and Ullmark are all up in 2 years... If Bert signs a 2 year deal, that would give them a natural pivot point to change the direction of the franchise.

Tons of money coming off the books + massive increases in the cap = lots of flexibility to add a star.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Even if we could buy low... what do we have to pay?

Missing any meaningful picks, our prospect pool is ok, so unless LA already loves one of our guys, at best Lysell=first, Lohrei=2nd

Don't know LA's needs, but don't think we realistically have the assets to make an offer that is gonna beat anyone else.

Hope I'm wrong, I'd love Byfield, I just don't see it.
I would think Swayman would be the key ‘ask’ going back for Byfield.

Don’t see that happening.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lafreniere and Mittlestadt would be two others I wouldn't mind see Sweeney make a pitch for. Mittlestadt it seemed as though he was all but given up on and then came on real strong the last third of the season. Looked like a Kid who finally got it.

Bert is not signing a two year deal, he is 28 and is going to want to cash in before he hits 30 , you might have a better chance of him signing a one year deal and gamble on himself............

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Babajingo

They had their future 1C in Danault. $5.5 mill/year geeesh Instead B's signed Forbert, Reilly, Foligno, Haula and Nosek for alot more money. Guh!

I like Byfield, wonder why LA would part with him. with Kopitar getting close to retirement. But I guess they have some good youngins in Turcotte.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I would think Swayman would be the key ‘ask’ going back for Byfield.

Don’t see that happening.

We have an embarrassment of riches at goalie. I’d be happy with Ullmark/Bussi as the combo if we can fix our long-standing issue of a Bergeron replacement.

Ullmark is about to win the Vezina, and any deal we make to deal him is the lowest he is worth trade wise.

I’d also be happy with dealing Lysell++

1C is the biggest gap by far on this roster.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad