Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Karma is as real as your hand

When Cassidy scratched an All Time Blues captain for a couple of guys including Danton Heinen who was basically trying to survive shifts - it was over before it started

The Bruins play that game 100 times they win 80….there are no guarantees in sports but I’ll always feel Backes should have been in that lineup

He was good enough for game 3 in St. Louis a 7-2 win he was good enough to get 10 minutes in game 7
I love your optimism and faith, Dan. But they didn’t lose because of anything Backes related. That guy had a giant fork sticking out of his back when he showed up for his introductory press conference.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love your optimism and faith, Dan. But they didn’t lose because of anything Backes related. That guy had a giant fork sticking out of his back when he showed up for his introductory press conference.
Just being on the bench over Heinen or the little guy everyone loves but now in AHL was a difference

The Butterfly Effect - you change the complete outcome by altering a blade of grass

Didn’t you watch Back to the Future!!!!!!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Choker is a little harsh , gonna be a hard sell around these parts but with that said history has shown what it has shown . Bergy has come up limping in every significant moment since 2013 but wasn't he in his 20's in 2013 ? Punctured lungs, groin, concussions, herniated discs .....
He was. Bergeron was 28, Todws was 26. I don’t think they lost that one because of age, for what it’s worth.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
He was. Bergeron was 28, Todws was 26. I don’t think they lost that one because of age, for what it’s worth.
they lost that one because of injuries and shit luck in game 1. Oh yeah and 2/3s of your 2nd line no-showed all 6 games

I think he would have been a pretty good voice on the bench or emotional lift in the locker room.

no reason to have karson kuhlman anywhere near a SCF lineup even on the 4th line.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So you feel good that they choked against Chicago and St. Louis in the finals the way they did? And you're okay that they were one can dans in this year's playoffs despite setting records all season long for winning, and being the far superior team? What a really sad take.

Chicago wasn't a choke. They had the better team. The Blues were a choke with assistance above and beyond from the NHL to force 7 games.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chicago wasn't a choke. They had the better team. The Blues were a choke with assistance above and beyond from the NHL to force 7 games.

Boston was closer in talent to Chicago than they were to STL and a *healthy* Vancouver. You can’t say 17 seconds wasn’t a choke. It was fair that Chicago won the series, but Bruins were in position for the upset. An upset that would have been smaller than the Bruins beating the Canucks or the Blues beating the Bruins.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Boston was closer in talent to Chicago than they were to STL and a *healthy* Vancouver. You can’t say 17 seconds wasn’t a choke. It was fair that Chicago won the series, but Bruins were in position for the upset. An upset that would have been smaller than the Bruins beating the Canucks or the Blues beating the Bruins.

Who choked in that 17 seconds?

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't buy this at all. I think it has more to do with teams bottoming out to build contenders thus having younger players. I'm of the opinion that there is more than one way to skin a cat . All those stats are true until they're not. I may be misguided but I wouldn't put any stock in that. Hockey is a funny game.

So true.

There was a time when it was said a team could not win an NBA title without a great center. Then Golden State won in 1975 with the legendary Clifford Ray at center, sweeping the Bullets in the finnals.

Had to have a great QB to win the Super Bowl. Then the Ravens won it in 2000 with Trent Dilfer.

Stanley Cup winners needed great goalies, until the likes of Cam Ward, Giguere, Antti Neimi and Matt Murray started winning Cups.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Chicago was definitely a choke, but that was an easier pill to swallow than St. Louis at least for me. I didn’t expect us to beat Chicago, but I 100% expected us to roll over St. Louis

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Chicago was definitely a choke, but that was an easier pill to swallow than St. Louis at least for me. I didn’t expect us to beat Chicago, but I 100% expected us to roll over St. Louis
I think if the Bs didn't win in 2011 that Chicago loss would have been absolutely devastating

Reactions: Fenian24

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Was STL beating Boston or Boston beating Vancouver the bigger upset?

Seems people forget what a cake walk the Bruins had to the finals in 2019. Getting the Leafs (who they were trailing 3-2 in round one), Columbus and Carolina was pretty fortunate. They didn't have to play any top teams. All 4 division winners crapped out in the first round.

ST. Louis was the hottest team in the NHL coming into the playoffs. They peaked at the right time. Boston over Vancouver was probably a bigger upset.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

That’s tough because I bet the canucks were favored more, but I also felt like that was a fake great team. Vancouver was in a terrible division and beat up on a lot of crappy competition. Also I had no faith in the sedins to ever win anything.

But you could surely make an argument either way.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Seems people forget what a cake walk the Bruins had to the finals in 2019. Getting the Leafs (who they were trailing 3-2 in round one), Columbus and Carolina was pretty fortunate. They didn't have to play any top teams. All 4 division winners crapped out in the first round.

ST. Louis was the hottest team in the NHL coming into the playoffs. They peaked at the right time. Boston over Vancouver was probably a bigger upset.
I don't think it matters who they faced in 2019. CBJ and Car beat better teams. They were inferior. Doesn't mean the Bruins couldn't beat those teams.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't think it matters who they faced in 2019. CBJ and Car beat better teams. They were inferior. Doesn't mean the Bruins couldn't beat those teams.

Doesn't mean they could, either.

Just think the 2019 Bruins are viewed here as a much stronger team than they really were.

Also, 22 year-old Pasta was -7 in the finals, 21 year-old McAvoy -5. The kids faded badly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't mean they could, either.

Just think the 2019 Bruins are viewed here as a much stronger team than they really were.

Also, 22 year-old Pasta was -7 in the finals, 21 year-old McAvoy -5. The kids faded badly.
Pastrnak off ice injury cost them

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The 2019 Tampa team was one of best I’ve ever seen - healthy Tampa vs healthy Bruins I pick Tampa in 6; Columbus knocked out key players early and Tampa was fighting with one arm

The 2020 was a good but not great team that without covid gets waxed by Toronto

The 2021 Tampa team was very good to good regular season team and great playoff team

Kind of sucks for their fans winning a bubble joke Cup with no parade and a half assed one in 2022

The 2013 Penguins and 2919 Lightning two of the great teams I’ve seen and both got swept which is insane

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
St. Louis "beating" Boston. A bottom of the barrel team that was in last place in January who squeaked in and took the Cup (with a bit of help from the refs).
The Bruins belonged in the in the finals in 2011.
They had a great season and then ran the gauntlet to the finals.
Even though they did it with some luck, they took it to the team that was probably the favorite.
Prior to playing St. Louis a lot of folks here said that it would be a 4 game sweep cake walk which of course was nonsense.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Pastrnak off ice injury cost them
...and didn't Marchand injure his wrist in the intra-squad exhibition game that they played while waiting for the Western conference winner?
They had (IIRC a week off) before the finals, plenty of time to heal up and rest up.
Backes out for Kuhlman was horseshit.
Well, at least Cassidy learned enough to win it all for Vegas.

Reactions: BBruins and PB37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad