Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I’m surprised ppl think coyles contract is too high. He is easily worth 5 mil. If Fredric is worth 3 coyle is worth 6. He can carry the third line no matter who his line mates are. He is big and strong as hell. A lot to like with coyle. He isn’t a point machine. But he is an excellent third line centre. 1-2 centres are 7-13 mil currently I believe.

5.25M is a lot for a career 40 point 3rd line C.

A competent franchise where every good player isn’t leaving. Modern facilities. A chance to win a Cup.

Your ignoring why he might want to head HOME

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Zacha & Coyle & Frederic were tbe 3 centers games 3 and 4 and they win 6-2 and 4-2 before Monty let his kid do the lineup

Merkulov and down the road Poitras look like top 6 centers to me

And March 1 trade deadline is over 7 months away

I don’t see the black hole at all

Jozef Stumpel and Todd Elik were a black hole
If Stumpel was a Bruin today he would be their number one Center, well not actually today because he's like 50 something but 1995-2000 Stumpel.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
If Stumpel was a Bruin today he would be their number one Center, well not actually today because he's like 50 something but 1995-2000 Stumpel.
His stats are worse than I thought when I looked him up yesterday. When I was a kid I always thought he was better than the db says lol.

I'll edit that and say I didn't notice his 76 point season when i looked yesterday. 1996-1997, assuming that's the season I remember as a kid.

Reactions: TCB and HustleB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank you for pointing this out

No need to be fully invested this year

Going to be a nice break no expectations and every game isn’t do or die

96 points 6-10 seed

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
And Stumpel was twice the offensive player Coyle is. Not a great second line center but much, much more suited to it than Coyle.

We will see about Merkulov but I expect him to be Koko's linemate in a couple years.

If they are going to try and win with defense and goaltending the D needs to be improved. There is a need for another top 4 D and they need some physicality desperately. You aren't winning with defense with Forbort, Grczelyk and Zboril as your 4-6 D.
I’m Coyle over Stumpel every day

As for the team - the two models I’ve seen by JFresh and in Athletic have Bruins first in division and Bergeron was not factored

I have them as a WC not first

It’s hockey and as long as you are in the dance you can win

There are no guarantees and no one here knows that they can or can’t win

Hell I had the Patriots 1-15 in 2001 and they won the SB and football is my second sport

Reactions: Blade of Schmautz

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
“We knew when we extended last season that there would be a little bit of a crunch, especially with the cap remaining relatively flat. Look, any time you’re replacing two Hall of Famers, there are going to be some growing pains. I feel really strongly about the guys we have. Pavel and Charlie are good players. We’re not asking them to replace David and Bergy. We’re just asking them to go out and play their games.”

-AI Don Sweeney (probably)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
“We knew when we extended last season that there would be a little bit of a crunch, especially with the cap remaining relatively flat. Look, any time you’re replacing two Hall of Famers, there are going to be some growing pains. I feel really strongly about the guys we have. Pavel and Charlie are good players. We’re not asking them to replace David and Bergy. We’re just asking them to go out and play their games.”

-AI Don Sweeney (probably)
Ha...most likely. Did you use AI to come up with this? LOL

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dude you’re blowing this out of proportion again with stupid comparisons. Don’t think the average 100m Olympian runs a hundred in 11.5 sec. Losing one or two face offs more a night is not the end of the world. You like to exaggerate your points without merit. Kinda dishonest. Like someone said earlier, Coyle played with Smith, Haula had Pasta. And f/o don’t matter as much as you seem to think.
Not really. I was using the comp of Coyle vs Haula as an example of the little things we as fans don't normally consider when talking about players and what they do outside of points. You keep minimizing the importance of faceoffs to a silly extent though.

So for this next example, the team goes from Bergeron and his 60% to Coyle and his 48%. Is that a big deal? To you, no, but to the game itself it's a huge drop off. You go from a guy that wins 600 face offs out of a 1,000 to a guy that wins 480 faceoffs out of 1,000. That's a 120 faceoff difference where it goes the other way and countless chances are now swinging back to the other team. That can make all the difference in the world when you're giving extra chances to the other team because of nothing more than a drop off in faceoff winning percentage.

Again you can minimize the importance, but that doesn't make what you say true. Especially in a game like hockey which is predicated on capitalizing on mistakes. And that's just one small factor. Now do it over the rest of their abilities and you see the value of a guy like Bergeron and how hard it will be to actually replace him and his role.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I find it interesting reading the "anti Coyle" comments...Truly Bizarre.

I love watching him play. Constant motor, big, physical, protects the puck. He's been playing a specific shut down role the last few years. This is his opportunity to get consistent top line minutes playing with skilled forwards. I can easily see him succeeding. He has the skill to do so.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What about a Calgary cost absorbed Kadri?
He's a guy they have signed for the next 6 years. I don't see them moving him, with all the players who are jetting when their contract expires.

I love watching him play. Constant motor, big, physical, protects the puck. He's been playing a specific shut down role the last few years. This is his opportunity to get consistent top line minutes playing with skilled forwards. I can easily see him succeeding. He has the skill to do so.
He needs to shoot more. One of the best shots in the game and he doesn't use it nearly enough.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
5.25M is a lot for a career 40 point 3rd line C.

Of the 25 players who scored 40-45 pts last year, and will be UFA when their current contract ends, the average salary is roughly 4.5 million. (4.48)

Looks like Coyle's AAV is right inline with the marketplace.

But his term makes him next to impossible to move without a 1st round pick attached.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
“Boston won games 3 & 4 with Zacha & Coyle as their top 6 centers”

“Montgomery blew the series when he changed the lines for game 5 and separated Bergeron & Marchand (for 8 minutes before reverting back to his regular lines)”

Small window examples to prove narratives sprinkled throughout this thread.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just a top center in general, I just prefer Lindholm. But yes the longer they go without a top center is wasting the pastrnak/McAvoy/Lindholm/swayman core.
It’s ironic you push for Lindholm given we’d be signing him for his age 30-37 years, don’t you think?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
He's a guy they have signed for the next 6 years. I don't see them moving him, with all the players who are jetting when their contract expires.

He needs to shoot more. One of the best shots in the game and he doesn't use it nearly enough.

Coyle always leaves you wanting more offensively, he's so big and strong and can really shoot. I'm curious to see how he performs over a long stretch with legitimate scoring wingers and some PP time. He certainly seems capable of hitting 50-60 points.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Serious question, Coyle has now been in the league 11 years, in that time he has scored 50 points once and has broken 20 goals once with 21, (both more than 7 years ago) why do you think that he has shown no offensive ability up to this point and it will just suddenly blossom at 31 years old and as an 11 year veteran? Did no other coach see offensive potential in him? How many 31 year old, 11 year veterans have career years at this point?
Because they are paying him like a tp 2 center does not make him one.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Charlie Coyle over the last two seasons has not missed a single game for the Bruins while providing 40+ points each year.

No forward on the Bruins has had more short handed time on ice than Coyle over that span. In fact just last year he played 40+ more minutes in the PK at 211 than the next closest forward Nosek at 168.

He averaged 17 mins a night last season, and a little more the season before.

40 of his 45 points last season came at even strength.

Coyle or his cap hit are not a problem with this team. If you want to split hairs and say he’s overpaid by $500-700k that’s your prerogative, but it’s not really much of an argument given everything he does for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad