Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Wood and Bellows? Come on man haha.

I agree that if there’s nothing to open up space then there’s not a big deal in the works. But they’d go with McLaughlin and Merkulov over Bellows and Miles Wood for sure.
I think McLovin is going to really challenge for a spot but I think Merkulov needs another half season in Providence at least. I expect Lauko and Steen to challenge as well.

I will be pissed if the Providence guys come in flat again like they did last year.

If someone is on the board that they love in the second round I could see them making a move with Gryz
No way they get a 2nd for Gryz without Adding picks to the deal

Reactions: Gordoff and ylekot

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Early thoughts

- At this time Boston with existing D core & goalie tandem continue to be the best defensive team in the league and the plan is to keep it that way with the exception of potentially moving a goalie.

- Boston will be patient finding a center replacement giving prospects, Zacha, and Coyle the opportunity to play top lines.

- Lucic back simply for nostalgic reasons. ... thinking he should be retiring ... hoping he can contribute, it would be sad to see this board treat him with disrespect.

- Sweeney went for it and for good reason. Injuries were too much to overcome. I trust Sweeney will do well to keep the team competitive.

- Bergeron will be back but it will be a late return date.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think McLovin is going to really challenge for a spot but I think Merkulov needs another half season in Providence at least. I expect Lauko and Steen to challenge as well.

I will be pissed if the Providence guys come in flat again like they did last year.

No way they get a 2nd for Gryz without Adding picks to the deal
Disagree on Merkulov. Nothing left to prove in the A. Played all three forward positions and was effective everywhere. He’s ready.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Early thoughts

- At this time Boston with existing D core & goalie tandem continue to be the best defensive team in the league and the plan is to keep it that way with the exception of potentially moving a goalie.

- Boston will be patient finding a center replacement giving prospects, Zacha, and Coyle the opportunity to play top lines.

- Lucic back simply for nostalgic reasons. ... thinking he should be retiring ... hoping he can contribute, it would be sad to see this board treat him with disrespect.

- Sweeney went for it and for good reason. Injuries were too much to overcome. I trust Sweeney will do well to keep the team competitive.

Your asking for big trouble if Coyle and zacha is 1 and 2. Big trouble.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Wood and Bellows? Come on man haha.

I agree that if there’s nothing to open up space then there’s not a big deal in the works. But they’d go with McLaughlin and Merkulov over Bellows and Miles Wood for sure.
Sweeney talked about looking for second chance guys, and if he doesn’t move anyone, they’ll have to sign guys willing to accept $2m or less, so yeah, that leaves you guys like Wood and Bellows, maybe an OEL or Pacioretty reclamation project with bonuses.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sweeney talked about looking for second chance guys, and if he doesn’t move anyone, they’ll have to sign guys willing to accept $2m or less, so yeah, that leaves you guys like Wood and Bellows, maybe an OEL or Pacioretty reclamation project with bonuses.
I’m not sure Bellows could make Providence much less the Bruins. He’s been terrible and can’t even get retained by a barren Flyers organization.

Miles Wood is a cipher, I get it. But just no. Sure, there are other guys in the cheap vet category. But not the stupidest hockey player in the league please.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Forbort trade
Gryz trade
Ullmark Trade
Reilly buy out

Let's get at er'
Ideally yes, but has anyone seen Donnie boy? Is he in Nashville?

At this point I would be happy with Grizz and Reilly gone for cap space to sign a center or a Gudas type, or better yet, Gudas.

Reactions: Gordoff

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
This is absolutely the path if they don't move anyone out and its still the path if they move guys out and resign Bertuzzi.

My two choices would be OEL and Comtois.

I don't think Miles Wood is going to fall into this category though...weak FA market. I think he's going to get overpaid

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Early thoughts

The D core that was totally exposed in the playoffs,so going for the good regular season team that won’t get past the first round once again,wonderful plan.Lol

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Disagree on Merkulov. Nothing left to prove in the A. Played all three forward positions and was effective everywhere. He’s ready.
We need to see how he fairs in the preseason against nhl caliber guys. You can dominate at the AHL level and then struggle in the NHL. I don’t think he will I just don’t think he’s ready off the bat but I hope I’m wrong.

I want the youngins to come out on fire in camp. Nothing better than going to camp and watching them give guys a run for their money. Competition is healthy and a must.

I have little patience for guys coasting in camp. I roasted Spooner for years. Ask @EverettMike I was relentless.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Early thoughts

You mean the D core that shit their pants in the first round of the playoffs?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You mean the D core that shit their pants in the first round of the playoffs?
Maybe if Monty had actually worked out the pairs post deadline they would have had a better result. The D was all on Monty. The one position you need consistency for is D

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
giphy.gif

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I would need @DominicT to confirm here, but if the Bruins don’t waive Mitch Miller today, he’s on the roster for the season (barring a legal maneuver or mutual termination). I’d like to think I’m missing something here, because I don’t know what they’re waiting for.
Let's put it this way: if there was mutual agreement on termination, that could have happened at any time. Did not have to wait for the buyout period.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I would need @DominicT to confirm here, but if the Bruins don’t waive Mitch Miller today, he’s on the roster for the season (barring a legal maneuver or mutual termination). I’d like to think I’m missing something here, because I don’t know what they’re waiting for.
Because the default reaction is not enough here:L

:facepalm:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Ullmark is the bottleneck. I think Sweeney is trying to trade him but he can’t look desperate if he wants to get fair value.

If Ullmark goes we could see Gryz follow because the two combined with the space we have would give them $10m to play with. That’s enough for Lindholm and Hanifin, or O’Reilly and Soucy, or Scheifele and Graves...

But if they can’t move Ullmark we’re looking at guys like Wood, Comtois and Bellows on Saturday.
As depth I don't mind the idea of Comtois' and players like him on the third and fourth lines but the need for a number two center and top 4 D needs to addressed.
I m going forward thinking no Bergeron or Bertuzzi so current top 6 looks like this:

Marchand-x-DeBrusk
X-Zacha-Pasta.

Domi and O'Reilly can be decent stop gaps at 1 C, that LW spot should have been Bertuzzi but you can go Bunting or Zucker and be ok.

Overpaid Charlie at 3 c with Frederic on one wing. Here you can start looking at reclamation projects or reaches like Comtois, Chaisson, Pacioretty (as much as that sickens me), Wood, Drouin and whoever gets bought out today. Lauko and Lucic as your fourth line wings with Beecher or McLaughlin internally or a four A guy who may surprise with some grit.

You can still put together a competitive forward group. The D needs to get bigger and tougher. Start with Zadarov and go from there.

My little to no faith in the prospect pool necessitates reaches because Steen, Lysell, Merkulov, et al ain't the answer.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Ullmark is the bottleneck. I think Sweeney is trying to trade him but he can’t look desperate if he wants to get fair value.

If Ullmark goes we could see Gryz follow because the two combined with the space we have would give them $10m to play with. That’s enough for Lindholm and Hanifin, or O’Reilly and Soucy, or Scheifele and Graves...

But if they can’t move Ullmark we’re looking at guys like Wood, Comtois and Bellows on Saturday.
Sweeny is not desperate to trade Ullmark, just need to shed Reilly, Forbort and Grzelyck, but i think he is too much in love with those 2...

Yess i like buying low on one or 2 of those 3 kids, Comtois, Bellows and Wood for the bottome 6

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
As depth I don't mind the idea of Comtois' and players like him on the third and fourth lines but the need for a number two center and top 4 D needs to addressed.
I m going forward thinking no Bergeron or Bertuzzi so current top 6 looks like this:

Marchand-x-DeBrusk
X-Zacha-Pasta.

Domi and O'Reilly can be decent stop gaps at 1 C, that LW spot should have been Bertuzzi but you can go Bunting or Zucker and be ok.

Overpaid Charlie at 3 c with Frederic on one wing. Here you can start looking at reclamation projects or reaches like Comtois, Chaisson, Pacioretty (as much as that sickens me), Wood, Drouin and whoever gets bought out today. Lauko and Lucic as your fourth line wings with Beecher or McLaughlin internally or a four A guy who may surprise with some grit.

You can still put together a competitive forward group. The D needs to get bigger and tougher. Start with Zadarov and go from there.

My little to no faith in the prospect pool necessitates reaches because Steen, Lysell, Merkulov, et al ain't the answer.

When you say “ain’t the answer” on Lysell and Merkulov, what exactly does that mean? For this season or in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad