Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Let’s continue.

NHL Awards​

Date: Monday, June 26

NHL Draft​

Date: Wednesday, June 28 (first round), Thursday, June 29 (Round 2-7)

NHL Free Agency​

Date: Saturday, July 1 at noon ET

Development Camp​

Date: Monday, July 3 through Friday, July 7

Rookie Camp​

Date: Wednesday, Sept. 13 through Monday, Sept. 18

Training Camp​

Date: Begins Wednesday, Sept. 20

Reactions: bbfan419

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yotes fan, here. Wholly ignorant of the Bruins situation. By only semi paying attention to national media who likely doesn’t know what’s up, I’m getting the sense that the Bruins are in a tough spot with the cap, have exhausted their picks/prospects pool, and are in tough to keep the players they want, shed the players the don’t want, and find a way to improve team.

I may be way off base. But that’s the context behind this idea I’m about to float. I haven’t done my due diligence. I haven’t read through this thread or looked up the local articles. So I might be waaay off base. And if I am, feel free to flame. I deserve it. I was lazy about this one.

Here’s the thought, Arizona gives a couple of picks (future 2nds, current 3rds, some combination) to restock Boston’s depleted reserves somewhat (flexibility added) and agrees to take Mike Reilly’s contract. In exchange, Boston sends RFA Trent Frederic who’s likely due a big raise that might be hard to afford with everything else they needs to be considered.

Thoughts on the basic framework?

——

Following up on this from the other thread that got closed. Someone suggested Gryz instead of Frederic. I wanted to note that he would not be of interest to Arizona. They are looking for pieces 25 and under.

Someone else mentioned they’d do it for Arizona’s 2nd this year. I think Arizona would rather deal from years where they have stockpiles. They only have one 2nd this year. But three next year and four the next. Additionally, I would expect Boston wants picks as currency not as selections. So future picks are more flexible. Arizona does have four 3rds this year though. So maybe a ‘23 3rd and a ‘25 2nd? For Reilly and Frederic?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Yotes fan, here. Wholly ignorant of the Bruins situation. By only semi paying attention to national media who likely doesn’t know what’s up, I’m getting the sense that the Bruins are in a tough spot with the cap, have exhausted their picks/prospects pool, and are in tough to keep the players they want, shed the players the don’t want, and find a way to improve team.

I may be way off base. But that’s the context behind this idea I’m about to float. I haven’t done my due diligence. I haven’t read through this thread or looked up the local articles. So I might be waaay off base. And if I am, feel free to flame. I deserve it. I was lazy about this one.

Here’s the thought, Arizona gives a couple of picks (future 2nds, current 3rds, some combination) to restock Boston’s depleted reserves somewhat (flexibility added) and agrees to take Mike Reilly’s contract. In exchange, Boston sends RFA Trent Frederic who’s likely due a big raise that might be hard to afford with everything else they needs to be considered.

——

Following up on this from the other thread that got closed. Someone suggested Gryz instead of Frederic. I wanted to note that he would not be of interest to Arizona. They are looking for pieces 25 and under.

Someone else mentioned they’d do it for Arizona’s 2nd this year. I think Arizona would rather deal from years where they have stockpiles. They only have one 2nd this year. But three next year and four the next. Additionally, I would expect Boston wants picks as currency not as selections. So future picks are more flexible. Arizona does have four 3rds this year though. So maybe a ‘23 3rd and a ‘25 2nd? For Reilly and Frederic?
Bruins have put a lot of time into developing Frederic and he finally repaid them with a breakout year. Plus he'll still be relatively cheap, even if he does go to arbitration. Doubt we look to move him.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
Bruins have put a lot of time into developing Frederic and he finally repaid them with a breakout year. Plus he'll still be relatively cheap, even if he does go to arbitration. Doubt we look to move him.
agreed. we dont have a great track record drafting really so not really intereseted in picks. sure we need to draft but i dont see a great success dumping forbort grzelyc swayman and everyother scapegoat for future draft picks (that we suck at). dealing from a huge position of weakness this summer if you have been drinking the koolaid and believe what everyone is telling us. i dont see us dumping freddy because we are forced too. i think they stand pat and if needed zacha coyle freddie are the centers.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

——

So the lowest impact version of cap compliance for Boston is buying out Reilly and Forbort, and then moving Gryz and Frederic. There are, of course, many many other combinations involving Ullmark or Hall or DeBrusk or whatever to get there and it’s impossible for us fans to plot out what they need to do and want to do without some dominoes falling. If Frederic ends up being a guy that they move I would counter with Forbort + Frederic for AZ 2023 3rd and Florida’s 2024 2nd (but would be fine with Reilly instead). 2025 just too far out and it’s not like y’all don’t also have a pile of 2024 picks. But again, if Bruins clear the cap they need in other ways, I wouldn’t be moving Frederic just for fun.

They don’t need to trade Reilly or Forbort. It’s nice but not required. Reilly’s buyout cost is only 333k this year and Forbort’s is 666k. They both have a higher cost next year but with the big cap bump and the overage fees going away that’s something they can handle. If they were going to move one of them, Forbort makes more sense even if it’s only a little bit more in cap savings. Every penny matters. Forbort can help young developing D on the PK and in tough d-zone start minutes and Forbort also matches the kind of profile where he should get a good deadline return once that 3m AAV doesn’t matter so it’s probably of more value to AZ as well. If AZ wanted Reilly instead I wouldn’t blow up the deal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Frederic ends up being a guy that they move I would counter with Forbort + Frederic for AZ 2023 3rd and Florida’s 2024 2nd (but would be fine with Reilly instead).
I think this is fair. Thanks.
If they were going to move one of them, Forbort makes more sense even if it’s only a little bit more in cap savings. Every penny matters. Forbort can help young developing D on the PK and in tough d-zone start minutes and Forbort also matches the kind of profile where he should get a good deadline return once that 3m AAV doesn’t matter so it’s probably of more value to AZ as well. If AZ wanted Reilly instead I wouldn’t blow up the deal.
I’d rather have Forbort. I’m sure AZ would too. I worry about the 8 team NTC. He’s probably just got all the Canadian teams listed. But with the arena dram, who knows?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Scheifele is more dynamic than Lindholm. He really has elite talent, and his contract isn't excessive.

BUT on the downside, he's 30 (past that 24-28 year old Cup winner's window) and he's supposedly the source of a lot of their locker room strife.

I know people pick on his defensive game too, but he averages 62 takeaways a year which is some serious puck pursuit.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Scheifele is more dynamic than Lindholm. He really has elite talent, and his contract isn't excessive.

BUT on the downside, he's 30 (past that 24-28 year old Cup winner's window) and he's supposedly the source of a lot of their locker room strife.

I know people pick on his defensive game too, but he averages 62 takeaways a year which is some serious puck pursuit.

The locker room stuff concerns me WAY more than the age or the defense. Savard was 29 when he joined Boston and he learned. Of course you want a young C in his prime but I don’t think you dismiss MS or Lindholm as options because it’s not ideal.

Edit: and I like that there is a clear path to MS being a good offensive RW as he loses a step and Lindholm being a classic shutdown C when it happens to him.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Boston needs a #1 C and the Jets need a #1G. I'm sure they would love Swayman, but I'd try instead for a bigger deal with Ullmark and DeBrusk.

MS is a RH centre, so he's a great fit with Marchand or Hall and you keep the LH Zacha with Pasta. I'd actually make that an all-Czech line and look at Lauko as the cheap, fast gritty guy that goes and hunts pucks for the skilled countrymen:

BMar ---MS --- TBert
JLauk ---PZ --- DPasta
THall ---CC ---TFred
AG/ML --JB ----- GH
Just spitballin, didn't look at salaries, but I'm moving out Grizz and Forbort (and also Carlo if Sweeney is still dead-set on Hanafin) and bringing in cheap, D that can clear Panthers out of the crease. .

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Guessing we are still looking for trades to offload Gryz and Rielly . If not I'm really hoping both are waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad