Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I just have visions of Carlsson hitting the opposition with his purse and shooting easily saved muffins for the next decade.
Carlsson's shot is pretty good actually, it's just not elite and he doesn't use it enough like (Getzlaf).I just hope Getz doesn't teach him how to make drop passes to nowhere.

Right now I'm assuming it's Carlsson that is the pick so that I'm mentally prepared if they pass on Fantilli.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I find what Jarmo said is very interesting. His statement about wishing he knew who we are taking sure sounds like they have a strong preference.
Yeah, that's why I posted it. And logic would dictate that the strong preference is either Fantilli or Carlsson (more likely the latter). If Columbus really wants Carlsson and is honestly worried (as are most of us!) that the Ducks will take him, would they be willing to trade 3OA and 34OA for 2OA? Lot's of interesting things could happen in the next 24 hours.

Carlsson's shot is pretty good actually, it's just not elite and he doesn't use it enough like (Getzlaf).I just hope Getz doesn't teach him how to make drop passes to nowhere.

Right now I'm assuming it's Carlsson that is the pick so that I'm mentally prepared if they pass on Fantilli.
I've heard pretty consistently that it is the weakest part of his game. McKenzie's rating on his shot was 3.5/5.0 which is very average...if not a bit below average. Fantilli's shot rating was 4.5 IIRC.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Yeah, that's why I posted it. And logic would dictate that the strong preference is either Fantilli or Carlsson (more likely the latter). If Columbus really wants Carlsson and is honestly worried (as are most of us!) that the Ducks will take him, would they be willing to trade 3OA and 34OA for 2OA? Lot's of interesting things could happen in the next 24 hours.

I certainly think it’s Fantilli or Carlsson because I don’t think they would be worried about us taking smith (and they have made it very clear they are out on Michov). My question to you is why do you feel confident their target would be Carlsson? You have said that many times, but I’m not sure what that is based on?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I remember back you, Pepper, myself and a few others were pro McTavish. Majority wanted Eklund

It's unreal Anaheim top to bottom has has one of the smallest softest lineups in the league. You have a rare chance to draft a 1st line #1 pick talent with size and toughness. Of course you pick the gentle friendly giant who is also rated lower. You can't make this stuff up we all know Verbeeks MO I've called this way back. I hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good

Looking at their score cards, that slower, Gentle Giant is superior at OZ Retrievals/60 and better at Boards to Middle plays/60 than Fantilli. You gotta be physical to be winning the puck as well as be able to play the boards to middle plays (he's not a perimeter player). I would have thought that Fantilli's speed and tenacity would have made him the better player at OZ Retrievals and Board to Middle plays.

Also helps that the Gentle Giant doesn't lose pucks when exiting and entering zones.

Carlsson, z score (EP).png

Fantilliz, z score (EP).png

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I certainly think it’s Fantilli or Carlsson because I don’t think they would be worried about us taking smith (and they have made it very clear they are out on Michov). My question to you is why do you feel confident their target would be Carlsson? You have said that many times, but I’m not sure what that is based on?
Just my sense that he is more of a Jarmo pick and complements their other players like Gaudreau, Johnson, and Laine perfectly. They have enough shooters on that team...they desperately need a playmaking center. Carlsson is perfect for them.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Just my sense that he is more of a Jarmo pick and complements their other players like Gaudreau, Johnson, and Laine perfectly. They have enough shooters on that team...they desperately need a playmaking center. Carlsson is perfect for them.
While the ducks don’t have enough shooters and certainly don’t have size and toughness. Again, if the ducks don’t pick fantilli tomorrow I will never comeback to these boards ever again( that includes to browse ) that’s how sure I am . 🙏🏼

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I would rather the Ducks take Fantilli because if Carlsson is a bust a 1C or 2C I don’t know what he brings.

If Fantilli is a bust at 1C or 2C, and gets a bit more size he can pattern his game after Tom Wilson instead to Matthew Tkachuk.

And while I’m not a Wilson fan, at least there’ll be no more Jay Beagle incidents.

John

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Looking at their score cards, that slower, Gentle Giant is superior at OZ Retrievals/60 and better at Boards to Middle plays/60 than Fantilli. You gotta be physical to be winning the puck as well as be able to play the boards to middle plays (he's not a perimeter player). I would have thought that Fantilli's speed and tenacity would have made him the better player at OZ Retrievals and Board to Middle plays.

Also helps that the Gentle Giant doesn't lose pucks when exiting and entering zones.

View attachment 722321

View attachment 722322
Is there a less physical league than the SHL? That tells me nothing. Show me aggressive traits such as hitting?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is there a less physical league than the SHL? That tells me nothing. Show me aggressive traits such as hitting?

It should b/c it's a 17-year old without elite speed playing against men. Fantilli having the gift of elite speed and physical makeup should have been able to exploit the NCAA (17-24), but I'm quite surprised he didn't with the score card. Fantilli's card kinda projects to a top-end scoring winger than centerman. I don't mind that at all since he'd the fourth member of the top-6 on the Ducks and the Ducks already have two centermen in Zegras and McTavish.

I have a preference for Carlsson, but Fantilli fits PV's vision. Fantilli is a visceral, quick strike player while Carlsson can extend puck possession in the OZ or in transition. Carlsson often uses his big frame to play keep away with the puck. One other aspect that Carlsson doesn't get credit for is that he loves going to the net and can score in tight just like McTavish. Former GM Murray said when McTavish was drafted, we had only two other players who went to the net in Max Jones and Max Comtois. Carlsson goes to the net. Fantilli is often a floating F3 in many videos I've seen.

I'm okay with either player on the team, but this is PV's team and I think Fantilli fits the vision he wants. We passed up on high end goal scorers for the shutdown 3C Gaucher in last year's draft. We passed up on more offense on waivers in Tolvanen for the big Leason last year. At the end of the season, we passed upon on signing our 5th round scoring winger Tschigerl for UDFA physical RW in Wiebe and traded for physical RW Caulfield.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
all i know is that i'll be very happy ending up with either fantilli or carlsson. fantilli is my preference if i had to choose, but lately it seems like some posters on here see carlsson as being this massive drop off from fantilli, which is not the case at all. both guys would be going #1 overall in any other draft

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I would 100 percent choose Fantilli, but if the Ducks draft Carlsson I'll be excited because it means they think he'll be better than Fantilli which says a lot. Plus I trust our scouting in the top 10. Mctavish, Z, Minty, Lindholm, Drysdale, Ryan, and even Fowler at 12 were all winning picks. Only Ritchie stands out as a wtf were they thinking pick.

Reactions: 91Fedorov

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
seems funny to bastion Tkachuck as some pinnacle of the playoff hockey player when he was pretty much mediocre as can be in his previous appearances, and then got injured due to his playing style in his one great showing.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad