Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Carlsson in my opinion has written regular season hero all over him, but would anyone really want to have a Sedin instead of a Shanahan? I take the player with the proven PO performance boost ten out of ten times, thank you very much.

Oddly enough, Fantilli's high octane offense got throttled down against tougher competition.

• Fantilli offense throttled against tougher competition
    • WJC-18: 4 games, 1g + 5a = 6 pts (Bedard scored 6g +1a & Carlsson scored 2g + 1a in 2 games) snake bitten at goal scoring for Fantilli
    • WJC-20: 7 games, 2g + 3a = 5 pts (Bedard scored 9g + 14a & Carlsson scored 3g + 3a)
    • Big-10 Champ, Mich 4, Minny 3: 0g + 1a (McGroarty scored 2g + 1a)
    • WC: 10 games, 1g + 2a = 3 pts (Carlsson scored 3g + 2a in 8 games)

Remember, Fantilli is being touted for his amazing NCAA production of 30g + 35a in 36 games, or 1.81 ppg. That's nearly 2.00 ppg rate! That high octane offense was throttle down in the NCAA playoffs (conference and tourney) and probably contributed to not being a 2.00+ ppg season. Carlsson showed up more in the scoresheet at the WC and finished 6th overall in team Sweden scoring. In the SHL playoffs, Carlsson finished 1st in assists (8a), 2nd in points (9 pts), and 2nd in plus/minus (+8).

Does this mean you'd take Carlsson over Fantilli since Carlsson's offense doesn't get throttled down against tougher competition? Based upon the stats, Fantilli is the regular season hero.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have no idea what stress you guys are talking about, I'm calm as a cucumber waiting for the draft

Swcv.gif

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I feel like that goes without saying, but we have no idea what happens. One of the defensemen slated for the mid 1st can drop to 33. It happens every year.

Why should we draft a D at 33rd? What D should drop to 33rd? I think some D will be propped up because there's a scarcity of top-end D in this year's draft.

CS NA Final ranking, Defense
18th Dragicevic
19th Morin

CS Euro Final ranking, Defense
5th Reinbacher
7th Sandin Pellikka
10th 5'10 Gulyayev
12th 6'1 Willander

This year's draft for defensemen is pretty meh. Next year, though, is the year of the defensemen. Lines' 2024 mock draft has 11 defensemen in the first round, two in the top-5 and five in the top-12. The 2024 draft is similar to the 2022 draft with loads of defensemen available in the first round.

There will be a lot of potential top-6 talent that might drop due to some teams needing D in their system. I think there's more value in landing a top-6 talent than D in this year's draft at 33rd overall. My eye is on 6'3 RW Halttunen, 11th on CS Euro Final Rankings. He did get CS pre-lim "A-rating", which is first round talent. Or can you imagine passing up on 6'2 LW Quentin Musty for a meh defenseman?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tomorrow is going to be interesting and fun around here if we do pick Carlsson or anyone else for that matter other than Fantilli. lol.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Why should we draft a D at 33rd? What D should drop to 33rd? I think some D will be propped up because there's a scarcity of top-end D in this year's draft.

CS NA Final ranking, Defense
18th Dragicevic
19th Morin

CS Euro Final ranking, Defense
5th Reinbacher
7th Sandin Pellikka
10th 5'10 Gulyayev
12th 6'1 Willander

This year's draft for defensemen is pretty meh. Next year, though, is the year of the defensemen. Lines' 2024 mock draft has 11 defensemen in the first round, two in the top-5 and five in the top-12. The 2024 draft is similar to the 2022 draft with loads of defensemen available in the first round.

There will be a lot of potential top-6 talent that might drop due to some teams needing D in their system. I think there's more value in landing a top-6 talent than D in this year's draft at 33rd overall. My eye is on 6'3 RW Halttunen, 11th on CS Euro Final Rankings. He did get CS pre-lim "A-rating", which is first round talent. Or can you imagine passing up on 6'2 LW Quentin Musty for a meh defenseman?

I never said they should. I said it isn't out of the question and wouldn't surprise me. I doubt they just left all the defensemen from 1-30 off their list because defensemen isnt a need.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Tomorrow is going to be interesting and fun around here if we do pick Carlsson or anyone else for that matter other than Fantilli. lol.
If it's Carlsson or Michkov I'll be fine with it although I'd prefer Fantilli, If it's anyone else I'll be annoyed

Reactions: lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Was listening to this one band and thinking about the draft and turns out the song's name is "Anaheim", ha

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Swedish playoffs are not comparable to NHL playoffs whatsoever. The Swedish league pretty much relies on speed and technique only and is much, much less physical than the NHL. Carlsson being who he is would most likely get clocked once or twice in the first few games and then just stare and wonder what happened.

You absolutely can not teach grit, of which he literally has none whatsoever. As much as I hate to say this, but I fully agree with Dirk here: he's a soft and gentle giant.

Again, as I felt I was forced to state this time and again on this board due to the minority being in favor of Carlsson being extremely loud (kind of like the LGHDTVBBQ movement): the kid undoubtedly has a very great skill set with lots of hockey IQ and great passing. But he completely lacks in speed, grit, and finishing.

I flat out would be extremely disappointed if we didn't pick Fantilli and could all but guarantee that he will have the much better and more successful career in the end compared to everyone else we might pick instead.

Carlsson in my opinion has written regular season hero all over him, but would anyone really want to have a Sedin instead of a Shanahan? I take the player with the proven PO performance boost ten out of ten times, thank you very much.

This whole rant is nonsense, but the bolded part is the best (or worst?). I assume you want Carlsson, by your own definition, as he was the one who had a playoff boost; Carlsson's scoring increased in the playoffs, while Fantilli's went the other way....

There have been all types of players who excelled in the playoffs, I mean some of the last several years scoring leaders are not "gritty" in Eichel, mcdavid and Kucherov - I guess the hyper physical NHL wasn't too much for them....

I have no idea who will be the better playoff performer, but from what we can see right now, I think both could be great. I don't care who we pick, they both have a strong case, but some of the Fantilli fanboys here are just blindly drawing conclusions to support some weird lovefest.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it's between fantilli and carlsson. i'm 99.9% certain michkov and smith were never even considered

and i think they end up taking carlsson

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I have to admit that taking Carlsson at 2OA will feel like the Ducks lost the lottery...twice.
With the way this last season has gone for, im fully expecting to be disappointed with our selection. Just disappointment after disappointment after disappointment.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It is sort of a cool draft for me, no matter whom out of Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith or Leonard we will take at #2 I will be happy. And we will get four very interesting players in round 2 and 3.

Reactions: Kalv

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I have to admit that taking Carlsson at 2OA will feel like the Ducks lost the lottery...twice.

While I am fairly indifferent between the two, I do understand why people want and are more excited about Fantilli.

His style of play, the fact that he is ranked #2 on most lists, and some of the lofty expectations being thrown at him makes him easier to get excited about, especially after missing Bedard.

Reactions: Terry Yake

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
While I am fairly indifferent between the two, I do understand why people want and are more excited about Fantilli.

His style of play, the fact that he is ranked #2 on most lists, and some of the lofty expectations being thrown at him makes him easier to get excited about, especially after missing Bedard.
Yeah, I was resigned to picking Carlsson at 3OA assuming that the Ducks would lose the lottery. Picking him at 2OA seems like a loss especially with how PV says he wants his team to play. Carlsson better have massive upside if they take him. Worst part is that the way things could unfold, SJ could get Fantilli at 4OA. Now THAT would be a slap in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad