GDT: 2023 NHL Draft Lottery - 8:00PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports (What's more shocking: ESPN bleeping up or Chicago winning?)

Who will receive the NUMBER ONE draft pick via tonight's lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've floated this idea many times... as a fan, I would have a reason to watch my non-playoff team fight for 1st overall.

I dunno, I see it as a win for the fanbases, win for the league (more revenue), and win for the teams (actively keeping good players and fighting other bottom 8 teams for 1st overall).

Sure beats the hell out of whatever it is they're doing now.

From a fan/media perspective it would certainly be more interesting. But I don’t really think it changes the way teams really react. I don’t really think the league has a tanking issue as for every team that is doing it there are multiple teams who puff their chests out about not doing it despite being bad anyway.

There was a few teams this year from the onset that we’re trying to be as bad as possible & one of them in Arizona wasn’t actually that bad. Anaheim in season perhaps mailed in it but that wasn’t the plan from the off-season. Columbus, Montreal, Philadelphia, Vancouver, etc. were just organically bad this year.

At the end of the day players & coaches are always playing for future employment so that will always be their mindsets.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You know this, but O'Connor doesn't watch prospects and is generally bad with young talent in general. I had a hunch who he was parroting in his go-to scouting source, Pronman. Sure enough, here's Pronman from March (had Benson 13): "His frame, combined with a lack of separation speed, is a concern, though, for his NHL projection even though he’s got good quickness in tight. There is a fair amount of risk on his projection, but his strong compete and tremendous skill plus track record of scoring, makes you think there is still a very good chance he can become a quality top-six wing in the NHL." I had to scroll past Danielson, But, Barlow, Yager to get to him. :laugh:

There's no risk to his game; that's a load of crap. Also my favorite watch after the top 2 -- there's a more-than-the-sum, it factor there. Truly, a do-it-all player that just makes me smile because he chains so much good shit together on the regular. A 5'9 winger shouldn't be the best defensive player and puck battler/forechecker and offensive player on the ice every f***ing shift.......and yet.

His passing isn't as flashy as Smith, but I don't think his touch or effectiveness as a playmaker is any less. Does he have a pure separation gear? It's more fine than great (it's better than some others in his range), but that feels like missing the forest for the trees. He's got a great low stride to build from, and I've never seen him caught or angled off. He just disguises his gear changes and top end very well, finding a bit more any time someone closes, along with a lot of patience with guys on his hip or defenders in front. And his footwork/edge work is fantastic in tight, going heel-to-heel, darting in and out of traffic, curling on entries, whatever. He finds a way to be a great exit/entry generator.
I have to agree that edge work and agility and hands are more important than pure speed - once you're fast enough to get back on defense, pure speed rarely comes into play, usually when someone on the other team is out of position and the speed demon blows by him. Good defenders know how to use angles to cut off speed guys. Most of the time you're making plays using "shake and bake," and good vision, getting a defender out of position and making a quick move or seeing an open man and threading the needle.

The biggest question with a small forward is whether he has the leverage and hands and body control to function in dirty areas, where you're going to get pushed around a bit. It's my biggest issue with Frost, he can get pushed off the puck (or knocked off balance) and struggle to make plays in crowds. Briere probably has a better feel for that than anyone, given his style of play.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have to agree that edge work and agility and hands are more important than pure speed - once you're fast enough to get back on defense, pure speed rarely comes into play, usually when someone on the other team is out of position and the speed demon blows by him. Good defenders know how to use angles to cut off speed guys. Most of the time you're making plays using "shake and bake," and good vision, getting a defender out of position and making a quick move or seeing an open man and threading the needle.

The biggest question with a small forward is whether he has the leverage and hands and body control to function in dirty areas, where you're going to get pushed around a bit. It's my biggest issue with Frost, he can get pushed off the puck (or knocked off balance) and struggle to make plays in crowds. Briere probably has a better feel for that than anyone, given his style of play.

Of course your chief concerns in a prospect for a team starved of offense are "can he defend and grind?"

You deserve this team. Yeesh.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

elegance-spy-x-family.gif

Reactions: BernieParent

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It may stop GMs from actively tanking, but what reasons do players have to spend weeks playing for a draft pick after a long frustrating season?

Yeah, fair point. There might be some other way to motivate them. Like relegation haha, but I can’t see the NHL ever doing that.

Reactions: TCTC

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You make it seem that diabetics are less qualified to make a team or even less qualified as human beings, we just don’t complain or use it as an excuse in life.
Let him get old enough to be a candidate for Diabetes II.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Did the people crying "rigged" when Weekes spoiled that CBJ would pick 3rd genuinely not know that the actual lottery takes place prior to the results being shown on TV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad