GDT: 2023 NHL Draft Lottery - 8:00PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports (What's more shocking: ESPN bleeping up or Chicago winning?)

Who will receive the NUMBER ONE draft pick via tonight's lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In case anyone doesn't believe it's possible to rig a ping-pong ball lottery, it's been done before, in Philadelphia no less lol

It's doable to rig a lottery with a single drawing. Rig a double drawing using the same balls, and you're likely to get the same numbers pulled over and over again, which would be incredibly obvious on the single shot recording we have of the draft lottery.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Drafting Dvorsky seems very not-Flyers. They’ve used a 1st round pick drafting a guy playing in Europe just 3 times, ever. Unless there is a sudden drastic shift in their scouting philosophy, I don’t think that’s happening at this time.

Please be right.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Dvorsky has played at all of the major international tournaments (twice even) and played pro hockey in Sweden. They've had plenty of eyes on him I'd imagine. They seem desperate for centers so that checks also. I don't think they pass on him because he isn't North American. They probably would have taken Slafkovsky last year (and moved him to Center) if he made it to 5. I think Briere slipped about that one pre-draft.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's doable to rig a lottery with a single drawing. Rig a double drawing using the same balls, and you're likely to get the same numbers pulled over and over again, which would be incredibly obvious on the single shot recording we have of the draft lottery.
Where there's a will, there's a way lol

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In case anyone doesn't believe it's possible to rig a ping-pong ball lottery, it's been done before, in Philadelphia no less lol

A few years ago there was a like an unemployed dude in like the Midwest I think that somehow like hacked into his state’s lottery system with an iPad to produce the number on his ticket. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Drafting Dvorsky seems very not-Flyers. They’ve used a 1st round pick drafting a guy playing in Europe just 3 times, ever. Unless there is a sudden drastic shift in their scouting philosophy, I don’t think that’s happening at this time.

So it sounds like they're due

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flahr has no problem with smaller players, York, Brink, Andrae anyone?
If I go small, however, I want someone who's special skill wise high in the draft - you gamble on smaller players in the 2nd round.
Otherwise go with the safer, bigger player.
Gauthier had a high floor b/c size, speed and plus shot means at worst he's a goal scoring LW - and there was no one special left on the board.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flahr has no problem with smaller players, York, Brink, Andrae anyone?
If I go small, however, I want someone who's special skill wise high in the draft - you gamble on smaller players in the 2nd round.
Otherwise go with the safer, bigger player.
Gauthier had a high floor b/c size, speed and plus shot means at worst he's a goal scoring LW - and there was no one special left on the board.

Why does Flahr constantly talk about size and making guys bigger? Why is that the one thing he covers with every player?

Reactions: renberg

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I do hope team “too proud to tank” enjoyed last night.

Culture, playing the right way, and all that bullshit.

Eat up.

Chicago had the balls, and the dedication to success to do what was needed this year to put themselves in a position to find an elite talent. That’s what winning clubs do. Good on them.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I do hope team “too proud to tank” enjoyed last night.

Culture, playing the right way, and all that bullshit.

Eat up.

Chicago had the balls, and the dedication to success to do what was needed this year to put themselves in a position to find an elite talent. That’s what winning clubs do. Good on them.
We keep playing checkers...or worse color coded Candyland while teams like Chicago play chess. Flyers haven't had a long game for as long as I can remember.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
We keep playing checkers...or worse color coded Candyland while teams like Chicago play chess. Flyers haven't had a long game for as long as I can remember.

It’s just disgusting. Bedard’s name was out there for years.

You could have look at your roster, and realized this shit is going nowhere. Or… you could have done something. Anything this f***ing year to try to move a touch lower at least into that bottom 4.

They f***ing kept everyone all season long. Last night was the best chance this team would have had, and will likely have - in a while, to find a generational player. They blew it. Didn’t even try, and that’s the kicker.

At least we will always have those Bully alumni nights. Rot in hell.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why Hilferty is running the show, not Scott.
And why they've publicly committed to a rebuild.

This has been an issue since the Carter/Richards trade, which was the perfect time for a rebuild - you just acquired a bunch of young assets - so move out Kimmo et al and suck for a couple years, get some more high picks and you're a powerhouse by 2015-16.

2018-19, team is revealed to be top heavy with your best players in their late 20s, so the rebuild didn't work (because you never committed to it and had some bad luck) - so again, "the Flyers reload, they don't rebuild."

Spring 2021, the gig is up, trade Giroux, why not trade Risto and Sanheim - because Scott was sold on an "aggressive reload" by Barber et al.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I remember I changed my handle to Freshperspective back when Emperor Snider was chortling about the merits of our "culture".....and here we are.....still locked in a failing culture.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's why Hilferty is running the show, not Scott.
And why they've publicly committed to a rebuild.

This has been an issue since the Carter/Richards trade, which was the perfect time for a rebuild - you just acquired a bunch of young assets - so move out Kimmo et al and suck for a couple years, get some more high picks and you're a powerhouse by 2015-16.

2018-19, team is revealed to be top heavy with your best players in their late 20s, so the rebuild didn't work (because you never committed to it and had some bad luck) - so again, "the Flyers reload, they don't rebuild."

Spring 2021, the gig is up, trade Giroux, why not trade Risto and Sanheim - because Scott was sold on an "aggressive reload" by Barber et al.

They really haven't committed publicly to a rebuild. Rebuilding requires firing everyone who made this situation. They haven't done that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Now just imagine what a billion dollar industry like the NHL is capable of lol

Fwiw I don’t think it’s rigged. They hire out some pretty noteworthy independent law firms to do it for them. I think the league is just so bad at PR you had Weekes slip up last night. The results are obviously done before the broadcast.

The league obviously caters to trying to grow a lot of these 90’s & beyond non-traditional market teams which seemingly never win these things. If they were rigging it you’d think they send more action those team’s way. Hell McDavid in Edmonton in a west coast time slot is probably one of the worst things to happen to the league from a marketing standpoint.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
It's funny, i read about Dvorsky on almost any scouting report and think "sounds great, seems like the type of player this team needs". I read about Dvorsky on here, and i want nothing to do with him.

If he ends up being the pick at 7, i don't think i would inherently have a problem with it. I also can't say, based on what i've seen/read, that he's clearly a better option than Benson or Moore. So basically the same reaction i had last year when they took Cutter with Jiricek still available.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I like Zach Benson, but a 5’9” 160 lbs winger without high-end speed does carry risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad