GDT: 2023 NHL Draft Lottery - 8:00PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports (What's more shocking: ESPN bleeping up or Chicago winning?)

Who will receive the NUMBER ONE draft pick via tonight's lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A few years ago there was a like an unemployed dude in like the Midwest I think that somehow like hacked into his state’s lottery system with an iPad to produce the number on his ticket. :laugh:

He was actually a lotto employee in charge of lotto computer security

And the moron got caught because the idiot was stupid enough to try and directly claim a win in trust he created and because he bought tickets directly instead of having someone else do it

He and his partners in crime had successfully rigged several lotto's but he got greedy and wanted bigger piece of pie all for himself.

Seriously he, his brother and another accomplice would have gotten away with previous rigged $4.8M lotto if he hadn't been greedy.

The fat f*** also while buying winning ticket bought 2 hot dogs and a drink which gave camera's better and longer look at him buying winning lotto ticket

It was real big scandal in Midwest at time and killed the game he rigged which had to be relaunched under new name with new rules and new security measures

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine being stupid enough to think that NHL players are going to go all-out in a tournament for a teenager that will take one of their jobs lol.
Same reason players don't like to tank and it can poison a team - I'm gonna destroy my future contract value so the team can draft a player who'll help them win after I'm long gone?

No thank you, I'm gonna try and make plays and win games and draft position be damned - because you're gonna trade my ass in any case. I want good film out there.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Same reason players don't like to tank and it can poison a team - I'm gonna destroy my future contract value so the team can draft a player who'll help them win after I'm long gone?

No thank you, I'm gonna try and make plays and win games and draft position be damned - because you're gonna trade my ass in any case. I want good film out there.

That's why you trade players off instead of telling them to lose on purpose.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Imagine being stupid enough to think that NHL players are going to go all-out in a tournament for a teenager that will take one of their jobs lol.
Yeah, if we want a stupid idea that's actually fun, and doesn't involve teams actively trying to either a) tank or b) have to win meaningless games in a tournament where their players won't care, we might as well implement Sean McIndoe's Partner Draft system. Just have each non-playoff team, in reverse points order, draft a playoff team to be their partner. Whoever drafts the eventual Cup winner gets #1, runner up's partner gets #2, then each round's losers are sorted: in his original version, by when each partner team is eliminated, exactly; my modification, which I think is cleaner, is in reverse points order amongst those teams. So, with the record-setting Bruins almost certainly the partner of the #32 Ducks, the Ducks would get the 9th pick, as the worst team whose partner was eliminated in the first round. Tanking just means you get to draft a more impressive team, but as we've already seen, that guarantees exactly nothing.

Reactions: Rebels57

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Benson is 5’9” and 160, yes, but..You all know in 1974 by the playoffs, Clarke maybe weighed 165. If Benson has half the moxie of Clarke and half the skill of Briere, I’m good. Clarke took the shortest route from A to B and Benson does also.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, if we want a stupid idea that's actually fun, and doesn't involve teams actively trying to either a) tank or b) have to win meaningless games in a tournament where their players won't care, we might as well implement Sean McIndoe's Partner Draft system. Just have each non-playoff team, in reverse points order, draft a playoff team to be their partner. Whoever drafts the eventual Cup winner gets #1, runner up's partner gets #2, then each round's losers are sorted: in his original version, by when each partner team is eliminated, exactly; my modification, which I think is cleaner, is in reverse points order amongst those teams. So, with the record-setting Bruins almost certainly the partner of the #32 Ducks, the Ducks would get the 9th pick, as the worst team whose partner was eliminated in the first round. Tanking just means you get to draft a more impressive team, but as we've already seen, that guarantees exactly nothing.

This is chaos and I love it

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

For every Chicago there’s multiple teams like the Flyers & Canucks that absolutely refuse to strip their teams down in spite of themselves. :laugh:

I've floated this idea many times... as a fan, I would have a reason to watch my non-playoff team fight for 1st overall.

I dunno, I see it as a win for the fanbases, win for the league (more revenue), and win for the teams (actively keeping good players and fighting other bottom 8 teams for 1st overall).

Sure beats the hell out of whatever it is they're doing now.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He’s so, so good. When it’s hard to zero-in on a player’s flaws, ya know ya got a good player on your hands. This applies to Benson 100%. He attacks in a variety of hard to decipher/diagnose ways, processes the game at light speed, and forces the opposition into problematic situations. He’s my favorite player in this draft after Bedard and Fantilli.

This from Charlie O’Connor nearly made me spit out my morning coffee (from The Athletic’s beat writer Mock Draft: “Benson is the player available here who best fits the bill, even if his risk profile is a bit higher than some of the other available forwards.”

Benson is easily the least risky player that could be available at 7. Dvorsky would be the riskiest because he genuinely doesn’t have high-end skills.

You know this, but O'Connor doesn't watch prospects and is generally bad with young talent in general. I had a hunch who he was parroting in his go-to scouting source, Pronman. Sure enough, here's Pronman from March (had Benson 13): "His frame, combined with a lack of separation speed, is a concern, though, for his NHL projection even though he’s got good quickness in tight. There is a fair amount of risk on his projection, but his strong compete and tremendous skill plus track record of scoring, makes you think there is still a very good chance he can become a quality top-six wing in the NHL." I had to scroll past Danielson, But, Barlow, Yager to get to him. :laugh:

There's no risk to his game; that's a load of crap. Also my favorite watch after the top 2 -- there's a more-than-the-sum, it factor there. Truly, a do-it-all player that just makes me smile because he chains so much good shit together on the regular. A 5'9 winger shouldn't be the best defensive player and puck battler/forechecker and offensive player on the ice every f***ing shift.......and yet.

His passing isn't as flashy as Smith, but I don't think his touch or effectiveness as a playmaker is any less. Does he have a pure separation gear? It's more fine than great (it's better than some others in his range), but that feels like missing the forest for the trees. He's got a great low stride to build from, and I've never seen him caught or angled off. He just disguises his gear changes and top end very well, finding a bit more any time someone closes, along with a lot of patience with guys on his hip or defenders in front. And his footwork/edge work is fantastic in tight, going heel-to-heel, darting in and out of traffic, curling on entries, whatever. He finds a way to be a great exit/entry generator.

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
What can I say. Several hockey scouts approached me asking "Do you think it is too early in the rebuild for Chicago Blackhawks to draft someone like Connor Bedard?" And I have to say I am really confused about it

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
That's a heck of a concept, and true Original thinking.

Nfl tanking isn't worth it, because one player cannot turn around a team, and they often trade top picks. NBa is the only comparable, because one player can turn a franchise. Baseball also has too many players for one to turn a team. They also draft 18 yr Olds like the NHl, but almost none go straight to the Show.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Benson is 5’9” and 160, yes, but..You all know in 1974 by the playoffs, Clarke maybe weighed 165. If Benson has half the moxie of Clarke and half the skill of Briere, I’m good. Clarke took the shortest route from A to B and Benson does also.
As I said, I like Benson.

He works hard, has extremely fast hands, terrific puckhandler, good hockey sense.

But I don’t agree that there’s “no risk,” at least if you define risk as being a disappointment for 7 overall.

When you’re that small & lack an extra gear, yeah, there are legit questions about how your offense will translate to the NHL.

I think he’ll be a good NHLer. I’m on his side. But I don’t think questions about his ceiling are unwarranted.

• Wow

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think that concept would fail. It would presumably be like the playoffs and be unpaid aside from split escrow. Players would almost certainly be taking it easy, because why risk injury and your career for a tournament that doesn't matter, where the prize could be the team drafting your replacement? I'd expect it to be preseason quality or worse.

Edit: and it's moot because there's no way the league is gonna do anything to take eyes off the real playoffs

Reactions: TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I've floated this idea many times... as a fan, I would have a reason to watch my non-playoff team fight for 1st overall.

I dunno, I see it as a win for the fanbases, win for the league (more revenue), and win for the teams (actively keeping good players and fighting other bottom 8 teams for 1st overall).

Sure beats the hell out of whatever it is they're doing now.
It may stop GMs from actively tanking, but what reasons do players have to spend weeks playing for a draft pick after a long frustrating season?

• Wow

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Something about the idea of players fiighting really hard for some hyped up guy like Lafreniére, only to see him fall flat on his face playing with said group of players later... yeah thats entertaining in a very twisted way.

• Wow

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
You know this, but O'Connor doesn't watch prospects and is generally bad with young talent in general. I had a hunch who he was parroting in his go-to scouting source, Pronman. Sure enough, here's Pronman from March (had Benson 13): "His frame, combined with a lack of separation speed, is a concern, though, for his NHL projection even though he’s got good quickness in tight. There is a fair amount of risk on his projection, but his strong compete and tremendous skill plus track record of scoring, makes you think there is still a very good chance he can become a quality top-six wing in the NHL." I had to scroll past Danielson, But, Barlow, Yager to get to him. :laugh:

There's no risk to his game; that's a load of crap. Also my favorite watch after the top 2 -- there's a more-than-the-sum, it factor there. Truly, a do-it-all player that just makes me smile because he chains so much good shit together on the regular. A 5'9 winger shouldn't be the best defensive player and puck battler/forechecker and offensive player on the ice every f***ing shift.......and yet.

His passing isn't as flashy as Smith, but I don't think his touch or effectiveness as a playmaker is any less. Does he have a pure separation gear? It's more fine than great (it's better than some others in his range), but that feels like missing the forest for the trees. He's got a great low stride to build from, and I've never seen him caught or angled off. He just disguises his gear changes and top end very well, finding a bit more any time someone closes, along with a lot of patience with guys on his hip or defenders in front. And his footwork/edge work is fantastic in tight, going heel-to-heel, darting in and out of traffic, curling on entries, whatever. He finds a way to be a great exit/entry generator.
Thanks. Always appreciate reading these detailed takes on these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad